OVEG Video: Death Wish

Voyager
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: OVEG Video: Death Wish

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:If crows were so damned tasty, why have we domesticated the cow, the hog, the sheep, the turkey, the chicken... but not the crow?
Because they're so annoying that no one really (in America) gives a damn how tasty they are because our first thought is generally "Why won't that f*ing crow shut up?" and/or "where is my damn rifle"? O wait .. I'm thinking of Seagulls.. :lol: (tho i think it works for both)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Gulls are worse, IMO.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, crows don't care about you. Gulls actively annoy you. They're like rats with wings that beg.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Yeah, crows don't care about you. Gulls actively annoy you. They're like rats with wings that beg.
It's worse when they don't beg, and just walk over and start trying to help themselves.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Nothing like being dive bombed while you're on a Mc Ds run, not only is my lunch in there, five other guys want there Big Macs too.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:If crows were so damned tasty, why have we domesticated the cow, the hog, the sheep, the turkey, the chicken... but not the crow?
Because crows are harder to catch?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

What crows are awesome and might just be as intelligent or more as your dog! :lol:
Because crows are harder to catch?
They don't have much meat on them. Note that the chicken and the turkey are both (relatively) flightless and fucking stupid, so there easy to keep and can devote more of their food to the tasty bits.

Besides crows are intelligent and will just spend their time trying to escape or steal shite from you. You can domesticate them, people keep them for pets in other countries but they don't make a very good food source.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:What crows are awesome and might just be as intelligent or more as your dog!
I've met stones that are more intelligent than my dog.

And wild turkeys are nowhere near flightless. And of course, Wild TurkeyTM can induce all sorts of flight.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:What crows are awesome and might just be as intelligent or more as your dog!
I've met stones that are more intelligent than my dog.

And wild turkeys are nowhere near flightless. And of course, Wild TurkeyTM can induce all sorts of flight.
Wild turkeys are also a different breed then domestic turkey's, they can fly, short distances but it's easy to see how they lead to becoming domesticated.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I imagine that crows haven't been domesticated as a food source for the same reason most small birds haven't been, too much work for too little gain. Chicken and turkey's were big birds to begin with, and some selective breeding took a lot of the flight out of them, making it easy to keep them in place. Can you imagine how much breeding it'd take to make a sparrow flightless? There's just much better choices to work with, remember back in the day how good an animal tasted was only a secondary consideration, getting said animal on the dinner plate in significant quanties day in and day out so that you didn't starve to death was much more important. The average dirt poor farmer couldn't afford to waste time or effort. So they used the biggest birds around.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We seed clams, oysters, scallops, and mussels. We farm freshwater trout.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:We seed clams, oysters, scallops, and mussels.
Uh, those are at least easy to contain if you desire which makes it a bit easier then corralling a bird.
We farm freshwater trout.
Which can be quite unhealthy from what I recall.

IIRC there are also various cultural taboos in regards to eating crows.

*shrug* I don't have any objection to eating them but I can see why various other animals where domesticated instead of them.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Uh, those are at least easy to contain if you desire which makes it a bit easier then corralling a bird.
The point is that we do farm animals for food that have a very low meat:effort ratio.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
The point is that we do farm animals for food that have a very low meat:effort ratio.
Yes, we do now. However a great many of our farmed animals are the result of thousands of years of effort, from a point where they would have needed such a high ratio. There's no reason not to domesticate and consume crows now, just that no one can apparently be bothered.

Maybe I should try it. :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's too late to bother with now - we've already domesticated those nice, easy, meaty chickens and turkeys.
as Bull offed Custer