Potential of the Maquis

Voyager
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Potential of the Maquis

Post by Nickswitz »

As stated before in another thread, the Maquis had so much potential, but it was wasted, so... If you were writing Voyager, after the first episode was aired, what would you have done with the Maquis characters?

I would have developed them a lot farther, and have them mostly be combatants, almost like MACOs but not as skilled... THey had no reason to be in high ranking spots, they weren't in Starfleet, they shouldn't have been in command of anything. Also, I would have had them be much more disagreeable, they hated Starfleet, so they wouldn't just go along with everything the Captain said, they would have argued a lot, and I would have let that shine through. So anybody else?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Potential of the Maquis

Post by Tyyr »

They're contentious, rebellious, and Janeway and Chakotay spend a lot of time just trying to keep order on the ship. The Maquis way and Starfleet way should clash, a lot. For instance when Tuvok chewed out the one Maquis for fixing something with no work order, that happens a lot. The Maquis themselves start to fragment. Some factions hate Starfleet with a passion and refuse to assimilate. Others not so much and their desire to get home wins out over their hate. The Maquis contentiousness finally peaks near the 37's and at the end of that episode a dozen or so Maquis choose to stay behind rather than suffer through half a century under Janeway. After the 37's the remainder of the Maquis settle down and by late third season they've settled down to good little crewmen.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I would have seen more disagreeing when doing the usual meetings, as the Maquis might not like a central authority as much (not to menton seeing officious Federation as part of the cause of their problems). However, in crisis situations, they are much more disciplined as they know that the plan has been worked on, the parts decided, so if they want to live they had better do their jobs.

They would be good at their jobs, often not using standard technology. Where a Federation engineer might understand deeper theories, a Maquis might be able to make a jury-rig that gets the job done. Both of these will be needed in the Delta Quadrant, as the ability to see the key problem from the federation knowledge, and the Maquis able to find/make something that works.

No boring faces either, they would celebrate their victories, and mourn their losses.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They didn't really HATE Starfleet as not trust them. They felt betrayed by the Federation, so a certain amount of hostility is understandable. I would have played them as talented yet undisciplined, fanatically loyal to each other and those they come to trust yet insubordinate to the chain of command (like ignoring rank usage)
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Their experience with keeping things running despite a lack of supplies should have been a great boon.

But their hatred towards Starfleet (they'd have been seen as abandoning them to the Cardassians) and lack of military discipline would have caused frequent run-ins with Starfleet officers.
At the end of Season 1, the clashes come to a head and about two thirds of the Maquis personel make an attempted mutiny. This could lead to a cliff-hanger ending for the season, as the Maquis succeed in seizing control of Voyager and all looks grim for our heroes.
At the start of the next series, the mutiniers would have been defeated with heavy casualties. The remaining mutiniers are allowed leave at the paradise planet from The 37's, as guarding them and feeding them is something they can't afford to be doing.
The rest remain loyal.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Leading to a several episode subplot as our heroes learn they don't have enough people to crew the ship, and have to hire "space mariners" (something Neelix could have actually been useful in helping with)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that could open up a lot of interesting possibilities.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I would have enjoyed an episode in which the Maquis - not through any evil intentions, just though their lack of military discipline a/o respect for the chain of command - caused something catastrophic to happen. We could have explored the Maquis coming to understand a little of the reasoning behind military discipline, as well as Starfleeters coming to understand the Maquis' inherent misunderstanding of the same.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Which could have lead to a beginning of a REAL merging of the crews.....not the "okay, we're all one crew. A Starfleet crew" bit.