Why didn't VOY head to the Gamma Quadrant?

Voyager
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Why didn't VOY head to the Gamma Quadrant?

Post by Monroe »

kostmayer wrote:Be a bit of a shame if they made it all the way to the wormhole, only to get blasted to pieces by the minefield at the other end.
That would be so freaking awesome.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That would've been one hell of a surprise ending. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Lighthawk wrote:The DITL galatic map shows it pretty well. The wormhole isn't exactly next door, but it's a good deal closer then trying to fly across the whole damn galaxy.
I can´t find it, can you hotlink it?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Check under politics.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Lighthawk wrote:I'd call that more ironic than a shame.
I'd call it Karma.
SomosFuga wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:The DITL galatic map shows it pretty well. The wormhole isn't exactly next door, but it's a good deal closer then trying to fly across the whole damn galaxy.
I can´t find it, can you hotlink it?
Check the "Politics" heading. Sadly, there's no canon map that we know of, though Graham's is quite a good theory.
This site has some pretty good ones as well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

The maps from that site are directly from the Star Trek Star Charts book. I like those because they do a reasonably good job of linking things from the shows into a "reality." I don't like Graham's maps because he has the Borg occupying far too much space than I think they would. I tend to think of the Borg as having a territory, but not as large as Graham depicts, but that they also just sort of maraud around doing reconnaissance, threat assessments, assimilation of ships/instillations/outposts, and conducting some version of scientific experiments (like how 7 said they'd done experiments with the Omega molecule). Which would explain why they show up in oft-seeming random locations.

I wish that during DS9 they'd had the Dominion make some brief mention, even offhanded, about the Borg. Just to let us know that the Dominion were at least aware of them. I wouldn't want them to feature the Borg in DS9 as the show was strong enough on its own, but a mere mention of them from the Dominion would have been stirring.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Teaos wrote:Check under politics.
got it.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Black Jesus wrote: I don't like Graham's maps because he has the Borg occupying far too much space than I think they would. I tend to think of the Borg as having a territory, but not as large as Graham depicts, but that they also just sort of maraud around doing reconnaissance, threat assessments, assimilation of ships/instillations/outposts, and conducting some version of scientific experiments (like how 7 said they'd done experiments with the Omega molecule). Which would explain why they show up in oft-seeming random locations.
I think Graham´s maps are good except for that same point. I don´t see the Borg controling such a large territory, even the dominion is to big in comparition with local the powers IMO.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Remeber that for the Borg specifically, it doesn't have to be administered or controlled territory. Once the your area gets Borgified, it would tend to stay Borgified more than the former area of a mroe typical conqueror.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Has anyone mentioned the "Janeway Factor" yet?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:Has anyone mentioned the "Janeway Factor" yet?
You mean, "take what common sense dictates, then do the opposite?"

I think that's understood.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ok, just checking :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sanehouse
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Sanehouse »

This was one of the first questions I asked myself upon looking at the map on DITL. The wormhole was a great deal closer than going all the way through the Delta Quadrant. Would at least have been a good idea to attempt to get to the wormhole.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sanehouse wrote:This was one of the first questions I asked myself upon looking at the map on DITL. The wormhole was a great deal closer than going all the way through the Delta Quadrant. Would at least have been a good idea to attempt to get to the wormhole.
I always thought it would've been great to have Voyager come home through the wormhole near the end of DS9, and help in some important battle.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sanehouse wrote:This was one of the first questions I asked myself upon looking at the map on DITL. The wormhole was a great deal closer than going all the way through the Delta Quadrant. Would at least have been a good idea to attempt to get to the wormhole.
"Caretaker" is set around SD 48315.6. "The Search" is set around SD 48213.1. Voyager left DS9 soon after the destruction of the Odyssey and the capture of the Defiant - Starfleet's two most powerful ships - by the Jem'Hadar. Given that track record, and the current knowledge of the Dominion as a power of unknown, but very large, extent, it would have been the height of foolishness to try and get through their space to get home.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.