omega directive

Voyager
nighthawk
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Re: omega directive

Post by nighthawk »

thelordharry wrote:Funny that, I observed perfection whilst she was observing perfection.
Heh.
thelordharry wrote:Thought it had a nice little tie in with Seven knowing all about the directive being an ex-Borg and the knowledge they would have gained from assimilating Starfleet captains. They used the plural so I'm assuming that as well as Picard, there were others, though I don't recall anything in canon?
Yeah, I'll give the writers a point for that one. As said, I'm sure Wolf 359 would have provided quite a few captains and other officers for assimilation. Even if destroying the fleet would be the primary objective, I surmise they would send at least a few drones to ships to try and assimilate some people before destroying the ship. Of course, this assumes a certain bandwidth capability for getting information from the assimilated captain (not to mention the time it takes to be assimilated) back to the collective, and I don't have any idea what the numbers for that would be.

I may have overstated my dislike for the concept of the 'omega directive'. I just remember thinking it was a bit absurd that nearly every panel on the bridge (whole ship even?) would stop displaying relevant data and have a nice, big omega. Seems a very indiscreet way of letting the captain know the molecule's been detected; especially given that only captains are supposed to have access to this information.
Zapp Brannigan: Kiff, I'm feeling the "captain's itch".
Kif Kroker: I'll get the powder, sir.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

nighthawk wrote:I may have overstated my dislike for the concept of the 'omega directive'. I just remember thinking it was a bit absurd that nearly every panel on the bridge (whole ship even?) would stop displaying relevant data and have a nice, big omega. Seems a very indiscreet way of letting the captain know the molecule's been detected; especially given that only captains are supposed to have access to this information.
It would sure suck if you detected one of those particles in the middle of a battle... :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

"Captain, all panels seem to have a similar malfunction!"

"That's between me and the ship, ensign."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Mikey wrote:"Captain, all panels seem to have a similar malfunction!"

"That's between me, the blonde hotty in the catsuit with the perfect body and the ship, ensign."
That's more like it, Mikey :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
nighthawk wrote:I may have overstated my dislike for the concept of the 'omega directive'. I just remember thinking it was a bit absurd that nearly every panel on the bridge (whole ship even?) would stop displaying relevant data and have a nice, big omega. Seems a very indiscreet way of letting the captain know the molecule's been detected; especially given that only captains are supposed to have access to this information.
It would sure suck if you detected one of those particles in the middle of a battle... :lol:
Would it ever! Almost like having the Emergency Broadcast System's weekly test occur in the final two minutes of the Super Bowl... :shock:
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

steamrunner wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Would it ever! Almost like having the Emergency Broadcast System's weekly test occur in the final two minutes of the Super Bowl... :shock:
More like broadcasting the President's codes for the nuclear missiles during the last two minutes of the Super Bowl.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The whole ep just pissed me off. Granted, a lot of things piss me off, but thats not the point. I saw this ep and even young me thought that it was a bullshit way of saying... "If we can't have it no one can".
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah, I got that too. But I also understood the idea behind it. Something that is incredibly hard to stabilize and if it goes boom, space travel for thousands of light years would not allow warp travel. Pretty big threat.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:The whole ep just pissed me off. Granted, a lot of things piss me off, but thats not the point. I saw this ep and even young me thought that it was a bullshit way of saying... "If we can't have it no one can".
That mindset is actually the only part of this that I didn't have a problem with. I figured it was about time that the UFP grew a pair and got proactive about a potential threat.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:The whole ep just pissed me off. Granted, a lot of things piss me off, but thats not the point. I saw this ep and even young me thought that it was a bullshit way of saying... "If we can't have it no one can".
That mindset is actually the only part of this that I didn't have a problem with. I figured it was about time that the UFP grew a pair and got proactive about a potential threat.
Especially the amount Janeway found.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So, they can watch people die and do nothing but if something might kill someone they have to act??? Think about it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yep.

Actually I think it's just being selfish. The Omega Particle destroys subspace so warp drive cannot be used. If it just went boom and that's it, then Starfleet wouldn't be that worried.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ah, so you're problem is the inconsistency.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

An outside threat could destroy someone else's civilization, well tough shit.

Something could destroy their's, time to ACT!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Its not even that it can destroy them. Its that it could mess up their weekend drives...