You're hired to improve VOY

Voyager
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: You're hired to improve VOY

Post by Tyyr »

Yes, it was another stunning low point for Trek brought to you by Enterprise.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:Wait wait wait... Ent used s**t for boots??? And here I thought Italian boots were bad.
Well, they sure as hell didn't have Lucazys.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I would have paid CLOSE attention to the numbers, such as we have X number of crew, Y number of torps, Z number of shuttles (and stuck to it) and in the last couple episodes this, this, and this happened. Maybe added a food or water shortage. You know, made people FEEL that Voyager was lost and all alone. Taken time to explain HOW more torps were obtained (wouldn't have been hard to do), or instead of building new shuttles when you can't even afford to replicate food, somehow aquire an alien craft or two to supplement the fleet.

Gradually alter the ships appearance to account for damage, or new tech that is installed, and toned the characters down a notch. I mean, these are people in impossible circumstances, attempting something nearly impossible, and they are singing opera for god's sake?

And eventually, if crew numbers dwindle, be forced to hire some new members, who don't MIND going to the other side of the galaxy.

A lot could have been done.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Mark wrote: And eventually, if crew numbers dwindle, be forced to hire some new members, who don't MIND going to the other side of the galaxy.
Not to mention the fun question of why a highly trained alien would want to leave their home planet, put up with isolation conditions for decades, all to see a bunch of strangers. Criminal record anyone? Or a young couple who want to live their own lives, and the family wants them handed back for trial. If they don't hand them back, they don't get supplies. If they do, that young couple will likely be executed.

Solution - hand them back, get the supplies ASAP, then kidnap the kids. The Maquis would be best for this.
Mark wrote: A lot could have been done.
Oh yes, Voyager had so much potential (wasted) that the concept might be one of the greater tragedies. What could have been vs what was done.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
nighthawk
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by nighthawk »

The last season of Voyager begged to be serialized. Instead of a motley assortment of average Trek episodes, why not write a thrilling final chapter and lead Voyager home?
Zapp Brannigan: Kiff, I'm feeling the "captain's itch".
Kif Kroker: I'll get the powder, sir.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

To be honest........I would have left them in the DQ...............................maybe closer, but still trudging home.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd have removed the Borg from it completely, until the final series. The final series is basicaly one big story arc about how they've found a way home, but it's in Borg hands (similar, I guess, to how they really got home). Even then, the Borg themselves wouldn't appear until the final two-parter episode.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:...Even then, the Borg themselves wouldn't appear until the final two-parter episode.
You lost me there (the rest are great ideas). I would've used them mid-season, and spent the rest of the season with Voyager running like mad from them.

Something like the 8472 conflict (a major threat to the Borg) in the last five episodes that give Voyager a chance to get home, and they succeed but leave the conflict unresolved.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I love the idea of them picking up new crew along the way. So many things you could do with that idea!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I dunno, I don't much care for the first two new crew members they picked. up.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I dunno, I don't much care for the first two new crew members they picked. up.
Like so much else in VOY and ENT, that was a problem of execution, not of the idea. Having to complement the crew could have had great possibilities.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Mostly just being a smart ass.

I agree though, it could have made for some interesting possibilities. That was Voyager's legacy though, pissing away all its potential in the rush to remake TNG.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I agree with a lot of what was being said. Primarily, I would have done something about the crew dynamic. In general, I found the crew (and it might just be the actors) to have the chemistry of a blind date between Hitler and Hellen Keller. I'd make Tuvok less crass, B'Elanna less bitchy, Tom an actual rebel, Harry not such a pushover, and in general, everyone less one dimensional.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Bryan Moore wrote:blind date
Bryan Moore wrote:Hellen Keller
:bangwall:

Anyway, you've hit the nail on the head - especially with Paris. I've never encountered in RL or in fiction such a pantywaist for someone who's supposed to be a "bad boy."
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

By Federation standards he's a bad boy rebel. Which is mostly an indictment of the Federation.