Scorpion

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Scorpion

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, hence my annoyance. I hate bio-wank.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Fair point Rochey, I agree with that, but I do like the design of it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's got a pretty cool look, but that doesn't change the stupidity of it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

How does having a cool look not change the stupidity of it if we're discussing judging it on it's look?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We're not just judging it on it's looks - we're judging it on the fact that it's bio-wank.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I think the idea of fluidic space is kinda cool, a little out there, but nonetheless cool, and that means that the design is a lot more cool because it needs to go through a fluid rather than empty space.
The world ended

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You mean, like everything that exists on Earth? :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In my fiction, there's only one known race that uses bio-tech, and it's grown around normal technology to create ships and ground forces.

An entirely biological ship? Pretty far-fetched, indeed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

What do you mean? :confused:
The world ended

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think bio-tech has its place and could be very usful in some areas, building whole star ships is not one of them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yes, You shouldn't be able to feel your ships heartbeat :laughroll:
The world ended

Harley Filben
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Harley Filben »

Of course Janeway's decision would've been irrelevant if S8472 weren't a bunch of spineless cowards who ran away at the first sign of trouble instead of throwing everything they got on the Borg and wiping them out before they deploy the nanoprobes en masse. Of course even this still makes bioships superior since they already can smoke a cube with one or two shots but present thousands of times smaller target aspect.
And then after they're done with the Borg they come to Federation for a discussion about how one of their ships aided and abetted the Borg.
Cue to Dominion fleet pouring through the wormhole after secret negotiations with Cardassians wondering why Dukat isn't there to greet them and wasn't there a space station and a planet near the wormhole?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Of course Janeway's decision would've been irrelevant if S8472 weren't a bunch of spineless cowards who ran away at the first sign of trouble instead of throwing everything they got on the Borg and wiping them out before they deploy the nanoprobes en masse. Of course even this still makes bioships superior since they already can smoke a cube with one or two shots but present thousands of times smaller target aspect.
8472's entry was limited to a single sector of space with only a few ships coming through at a time. Though even then they looked like they were building up a good sized force. Voy most likely interfered before 8472 could build up the forces needed to carry a sweeping advance.
And then after they're done with the Borg they come to Federation for a discussion about how one of their ships aided and abetted the Borg. Cue to Dominion fleet pouring through the wormhole after secret negotiations with Cardassians wondering why Dukat isn't there to greet them and wasn't there a space station and a planet near the wormhole?
This would require everyone involved to be total retards. Jump rush every thought into a war and bring 8472 into war with the whole DQ before they even reach the AQ/BQ. That of which would force the AQ/BQ forces to team with the Dominion then turn too face 8472 on a united front with as many as a hundred thousand ships. All of which could end up with the anti-8472 weapons. That's just the start of it.

All in all. Bad idea for everyone around. What happened in the show was the best outcome for everyone involved. 8472 knows they can beat the Borg but at a cost. That brings in a balance of power. 8472 also knows that they don't have a reason to start a war with the UFP. They'll lose ships and lives and gain nothing in return.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Nick wrote:I think the idea of fluidic space is kinda cool, a little out there, but nonetheless cool, and that means that the design is a lot more cool because it needs to go through a fluid rather than empty space.
Which begs the question of just how the fuck they move in empty space.
Teaos wrote:I think bio-tech has its place and could be very usful in some areas, building whole star ships is not one of them.
Oh, indeed, there are plenty of possible uses for bio-tech. Medical aplications being the most obvious one. I've no problems when bio-tech is used in an inteligent manner. My problem is when a bio-ship is treated as being so much more uber than "mere" technological ships. I'm particularly pissed at this because it seems to appear in the vast majority of sci-fi. Trek, Wars, B5, etc.
Out of all instances of races using purely biological technology I've ever seen in sci-fi, I think only the Tyranids from 40K are done semi-realisticaly in that it takes a metric fuckton of them to be of any serious threat. Given that a fleet of over 3 billion -yes, billion- of their ships is considered "undeserving" of being even given a codename, and planetary invasions usualy involve trillions of 'nids being dropped planet side, you can see what I mean.

To quote SDN:
"Captain, I'm picking up an approaching ship."

"What can you tell me about it?"

"Oh my God, it's organic! What are we going to do, Captain?"

"There's not much we can do, Ensign. Organic technology is so far beyond our grasp that we can't even imagine the power they must have. All we have is high-powered guns, nuclear missiles, and our primitive metallic armour. What are you reading from their incredibly advanced bio-ship?"

"Their ship is soft and flexible. Its construction materials are semi-permeable and laced with a network of delicate circulation passages. Instead of using impermeable high-density materials, it's made from countless tiny thin-walled cells which tend to rapidly break down in the presence of corrosive chemicals or radiation."

"What? And we were supposed to be afraid of this? Open fire!"

SQUISH ...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Rochey wrote:Which begs the question of just how the f**k they move in empty space.
I'm guessing they have propulsion somewhat like a rocket of some sort, so that would make them able to move in space. It wouldn't really make sense for that to be the case, but it's the best I can come up with.
The world ended