"Ensign" Seven of Nine

Voyager
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

"Ensign" Seven of Nine

Post by Mark »

I often wondered, especiall with the popularity of Seven of Nine, and her natural ability and gifts, why they chose not to give her a "provisional" or "acting" commission. After all, they did so with several dozen Maquis, and even gave at least two of them security codes. What do you think the reasoning behind this was? Would the character have been improved by being granted a commission, or would it have taken something away?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: "Ensign" Seven of Nine

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

First of all, if she had a rank she'd have to wear the standard uniform to the dissapointment of many fanboys. Second of all, I don't think the rank would've made the character any different. And Thirdly, I think the fact that she had been a former Borg drone might have made both Starfleet and Maquis alike upset had she just been given a rank which might make for a couple interesting episodes.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:First of all, if she had a rank she'd have to wear the standard uniform to the dissapointment of many fanboys. Second of all, I don't think the rank would've made the character any different. And Thirdly, I think the fact that she had been a former Borg drone might have made both Starfleet and Maquis alike upset had she just been given a rank which might make for a couple interesting episodes.
She could always have worn the "Deanna Troi" cleavage special. The wine colored one with the low cut V-neck.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Maybe she didnt want one.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:Maybe she didnt want one.
That's possible, but I don't remember anyone ever even suggesting it, but I could be wrong.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think it would have been nice to see her working toward such a position; it would have paralleled and supported her personal struggle to return to humanity.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I just dont see her being a part of Star fleet. I doubt she would want it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Mark wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote:First of all, if she had a rank she'd have to wear the standard uniform to the dissapointment of many fanboys. Second of all, I don't think the rank would've made the character any different. And Thirdly, I think the fact that she had been a former Borg drone might have made both Starfleet and Maquis alike upset had she just been given a rank which might make for a couple interesting episodes.
She could always have worn the "Deanna Troi" cleavage special. The wine colored one with the low cut V-neck.
That wasn't a uniform, that was casual wear. None of Deanna's outfits were uniforms except for what she wore in the pilot and at the end when she actually started wearing a uniform.

Deanna not wearing a uniform never made a great deal of sense; if she had a rank then she should have been wearing one. Makes about as much sense as them giving T'Pol a Starfleet rank in season three and her still walking around in her silly outfits.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think they had her in non uniform to make people more comfortable talking to her.

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:I think they had her in non uniform to make people more comfortable talking to her.
How could she ever have had time to "help" even a third of the crew? She would never have had time for anything else?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Out of curiosity, did we ever see her actualy help anyone on that ship?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Rochey wrote:Out of curiosity, did we ever see her actualy help anyone on that ship?

Reg Barcley took most of her time, but he was a lost cause from the get go IMO
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Mark wrote:
Rochey wrote:Out of curiosity, did we ever see her actually help anyone on that ship?

Reg Barcley took most of her time, but he was a lost cause from the get go IMO
Actually he wasn't a lost cause. Didn't you see him in Endgame. He was practically cured.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or medicated.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Hey, better living through chemistry. :D
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.