Response to Endgame tech

Voyager

Re: Response to Endgame tech

Postby bladela » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:53 am

00111010 01000100 wrote:Sometimes the use of a new super weapon isn’t as effective as the myth of a weapon. I once again fall back on my own military experience. The widespread rumor of an elite force or submarine in an area of extreme hostile actions can be far more threatening to opposing powers than an actual display of such things. Merely mentioning having a super powerful weapon is all that is needed to keep others in check out of fear of it being used. Transphasic torps May fall under the same thought process as modern day weapons.

it works if your enemy does not have the ability to "see your cards" (especially if it was a bluff).
bladela
Ensign
Ensign

Postby IanKennedy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 am

Corbomite!
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bladela » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 am

IanKennedy wrote:Corbomite!

exactly what I meant ... not being able to verify the thing ... you have to choose whether to risk or not
bladela
Ensign
Ensign

Postby McAvoy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 am

00111010 01000100 wrote:Sometimes the use of a new super weapon isn’t as effective as the myth of a weapon. I once again fall back on my own military experience. The widespread rumor of an elite force or submarine in an area of extreme hostile actions can be far more threatening to opposing powers than an actual display of such things. Merely mentioning having a super powerful weapon is all that is needed to keep others in check out of fear of it being used. Transphasic torps May fall under the same thought process as modern day weapons.

Or even knowing it exists not even a rumor. Subs, aircraft carriers, large military force nearby. Or the threat of a retaliation that far exceeds that you are capable of defending or responding to.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to VOY