Ira Steven Behr Reveals How He Really Wanted DS9 to End

Deep Space Nine
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Ira Steven Behr Reveals How He Really Wanted DS9 to End

Post by Nutso »

https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/21/ira-st ... stlv-2018/
I did pitch to Rick Berman that the final episode would end up with Benny Russell on Stage 17 at Paramount, wandering around the soundstages, realizing that this whole construct, this whole series, that we had done for seven years, was just in Benny’s head. That is how I wanted to end the series. And Rick said “Does this mean The Original Series was in Benny’s head? Does this mean Voyager was in Benny’s head?” I said “Hey man, I don’t care who is dreaming those shows, I only care about Deep Space Nine and yes, Benny Russell is dreaming Deep Space Nine.” He didn’t go for it.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Ira Steven Behr Reveals How He Really Wanted DS9 to End

Post by DarkMoineau »

that man take too much drugs ^^
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Nutso wrote:https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/21/ira-st ... stlv-2018/
I did pitch to Rick Berman that the final episode would end up with Benny Russell on Stage 17 at Paramount, wandering around the soundstages, realizing that this whole construct, this whole series, that we had done for seven years, was just in Benny’s head. That is how I wanted to end the series. And Rick said “Does this mean The Original Series was in Benny’s head? Does this mean Voyager was in Benny’s head?” I said “Hey man, I don’t care who is dreaming those shows, I only care about Deep Space Nine and yes, Benny Russell is dreaming Deep Space Nine.” He didn’t go for it.
:wtf: :picard: :suicide:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's a couple of series where the final episode has gone for the "it was all a dream" thing. I don't really get why showrunners like to do it. All it really does is say to the viewer "Hey, this thing that you thought had some meaning and importance? Well it didn't! Ha! We fooled you!"

I'm glad he didn't get his way.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It says to me, "We can't be arsed to really write anything."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Just saw this.

Basically this would make TOS, Movies and TNG and at the time VOY all made up in someone's head. Definitely would kill the whole ENT series too.

It's also a trope in itself. That events happened that were big in scope of the show for it all to be a dream.

Would be worse than the unmentionable ENT finale.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I know this is a bit old, but I must chime in with how much I detest the 'all a dream!' ending. And I'm really glad Behr didn't get his way, here.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Nutso wrote:https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/21/ira-st ... stlv-2018/
Thankfully that didn't happen, the worst possible ending I can think of to any series.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I'd rather like the idea that Sisko himself created those hallucinations himself to comprehend and protect himself from the imagery and power of the Prophets and Pah Wraiths.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"