Molly's Age

Deep Space Nine
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Molly's Age

Post by Varthikes »

Molly O'Brien was born during TNG's "Disaster", early in Season 5. A year later, during TNG S6/DS9 S1, she's 3 years old.

I'm thinking some sort of transporter "accident" that Miles and Keiko never talk about, perhaps in attempt to skip over the terrible twos.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Molly's Age

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Similar with Alexander. When he joins the Rotarran, he's actually eight years old.

I guess we can assume that Klingons grow up really fast.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Maybe its an effect of Warp Drive? Like a reverse of what you'd expect to happen.

Aka.. without warp drive, no FTL, but say the ships accelerate close to it, and travel to pluto and back. In the amount of time passed for earth, the crew onboard the ship have experienced less time? so they're younger than if they'd just stayed on earth. Easiest to show with twins, I think

Twin A Stays on earth. Twin B travels to pluto and back. Twin B is younger than Twin A due to relativistic effects.

Now apply that to Warp Travel, but in the inverse. You grow up quicker because you actually are experiencing way more than a year, each year. Hence the need for decimal-point stardates, nevermind the three stardates that pass per earth day. This ALSO EXPLAINS THAT ISSUE WOOOT! kind of.

So thats how you get kids like Alexander, Molly and Naomi growing up so fast. They're not. They're just measuring from the exterior fixed-point measurement of time, rather than the internal measurement which would mean that yeah, Voyager was totally in the Delta Quadrant for ten years at least! (How old was the actress who played her in season 5-7? given naomi's supposed to be no more than five years old by the finale)

So, the whole idea that in the future, humans could have medically-assisted lifespans in the 150-years-plus? kind of need it to just have a normal lifespan from earth's frame of reference. Alexander wasn't Eight when he joined the crew of the Rotarran. He was maybe twice that.

Food for thought.

edit.

Molly. On ds9. which doesn't move... well, she was born and raised for a time on the Enterprise.... so, there's that boost, before she settled to a normal aging rate.

No idea for Jake-O. same actor throughout the show, but I dont know what was said about his age at the start ? besides, after wolf 359, he wouldn't have been on ships much, and there'd not be any noticable effects just from a single trip from earth to ds9 at the start.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I think it was mentioned that Jake was in early teens when DS9 began. 13 or 14.

Scarlett Pomers (Naomi) was 10 years old when she started. But, why would warp drive just have that effect on children?

Speaking of Naomi... There's another oddity about her. She was born nearly a full year after Voyager left DS9, where her father is, and got stranded in the Delta Quadrant (10 months by "Cold Fire" and "Maneuvers"; "Deadlock" came a good month or two later). That's a 1-year gestation period and a 2-year childhood before she resumes aging normally.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Not that the effect is only on kids, just that it effects everyone, but no one 'prematurely' starts looking old because of medical advances. Those same advances sometimes cause baldness.

The cure to long life on a starship: go bald. ha.

Also on the Naomi issue, basically all fans agree its because of her half-Ktarian heritage. not all species has to follow the human species' growth rate at each stage.

Maybe if she had been conceived and born on Ktaris, she'd perhaps have been born in later on, and still be at the development stage of a human five year old when the voyager-born Naomi looks ten?, and once she herself reached that stage.

Bears properly sitting down and working out the mechanics of both "Inverse relativistic effect" and what that means for various things like kids.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Alexander presents a hole in your theory. Alexander was born around the middle of Season 3 of TNG, making him about two years old by the time he begins living with Worf in Season 5, when he is played by 10-year-old Brian Bonsall. That's after living for a year with Worf's foster parents on Earth. We don't know where he was living when he was K'Elheyr, but if it was within the Klingon Empire, it's a good bet he wasn't living on a starship. And, he looked about 2 or 3 in Human years when he first appeared in "Reunion".
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I always thought K'elheyr would be travelling a lot in her role of ambassador? Wouldnt that then mean Alexander was as well, once he was born? I dont recall if he lived with Worfs' parents before he decided to take responsibility, or was it the other way around? (Or both, since he wasn't there in Way of the Warrior.)
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

When O'Brien asked about Alexander in "Way of the Warrior", Worf says Alexander was "happier living with his parents than he ever was living with me". So, that could be where he was at the time. Probably moved back there for a while after the destruction of the Enterprise, or sometime in between end of TNG and GEN.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In general, this begs the question of why we've never seen the issue of time dilation/compression addressed in a universe in which travel at 1000's(c) is an everyday occurrence.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:In general, this begs the question of why we've never seen the issue of time dilation/compression addressed in a universe in which travel at 1000's(c) is an everyday occurrence.
Because of subspace (something,) :Q time dilation doesn't take place.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."