TR-116

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

TR-116

Post by Teaos »

I personally think the TR-116 is one of the coolest weapons ever seen in trek.

Its the modified rifle that can see through walls and teleport its bullet through walls right next to the victims head.

I was a great idea that was shame fully never expanded on.

Just think of the fun you could have with just the bit that looks through walls.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

Awesome gun. Field of Fire was an excellent episode regardless, but that gun was extremely cool.
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't develop something similar to fight the Borg. Hell, with the transporter it makes it the best sniper rifle ever!
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps the borg shields could stop it?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not only was it utterly cool, it would also have made an absolutely astoundingly effective combat weapon. Distributing it to the troops would have changed the entire way battles are fought.

Which is, I suspect, why we never saw it again.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Perhaps the borg shields could stop it?
Borg shields have a big problem with projectile weapons - see Picard's Tommy gun and Worf's sword thingy in FC. This makes sense given that they're dependent on frequency - solid objects don't have frequencies.

As a combat weapon I'd be doubtful about it - the sights and transporter would make it far more vulnerable to wear and tear than a simple design like the Kalashnikov.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:oops:
Note to self, engage brain.

In the presense of heavy jamming wouldn't the transporter be completely useless? It would still make a great sniper rifle though. And the advantages of being able to shoot targets without exposing yourself is obvious.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Rochey wrote:Perhaps the borg shields could stop it?
Borg shields have a big problem with projectile weapons - see Picard's Tommy gun and Worf's sword thingy in FC. This makes sense given that they're dependent on frequency - solid objects don't have frequencies.
I get really tired of hearing this spoken like it is truth. It isn't.

First off, we have SEEN Borg shields stop kinetic impacts; Worf bounces off a Borg shield in Best of Both Worlds when he's trying to rescue Picard. The same thing happened to Data when he tried to escape on the E-E. So as a simple matter of fact, there is nothing stopping the Borg from stopping such impacts with shields.

Now, let's take your examples. Picard used bullets to kill precisely two Borg. We have seen phasers do that and more before the Borg adapted. So that doesn't prove anything.

The same could be said of Worf's Mek'Leth and Data's hand to hand.

However, even granted that, there is a reason why the Borg wouldn't WANT to stop KE impacts most times. They assimilate people through touching them; you wouldn't want KE shields getting in the way of that. So I submit that even if we postulate that KE impacts seem to do better than phasers (which they don't), then it's most likely because the Borg want it that way.

However, if this became the slightest bit of a real problem for them, if it became an actual threat rather than "well there goes another couple of drones, so what" - you could expect to see that change in an instant.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:?
Eh, I doubt the Feds are the only ones to ever try KE attacks against them so would they not be pre-adapted?
I'll have to look up more on this subject, perhaps this could be split to a different discussion thread so we wouldn't clutter up this one?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

We've never seen Borg personal shields stop kinetic impacts. My examples were non-exhausive, as Species 8472 destroyed unknown numbers of drones in hand-to-hand combat (they've not demonstrated any hand-held energy weapon). Indeed conservation of momentum would make the usefulness of kinetic shields limited - the impact would rip loose the implants generating them, inflicting massive trauma.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just remembred, in Scorpion (Voyager) didn't a few S8472 manage to kill a whole heap o' borg in close quarters combat? Seeing as how the borg couldn't asimalate them, would it not make sense for them to start using KE shields then?
I may be wrong as I haven't seen that episode in a while... :?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:We've never seen Borg personal shields stop kinetic impacts. My examples were non-exhausive, as Species 8472 destroyed unknown numbers of drones in hand-to-hand combat (they've not demonstrated any hand-held energy weapon). Indeed conservation of momentum would make the usefulness of kinetic shields limited - the impact would rip loose the implants generating them, inflicting massive trauma.
And 8472 being able to do such in no way means that bullets and such would do the same; that's rather the point of 8472.

As for conservation of momentum, you make assumptions about how the implants are anchored in your statement. I could easily envisage a system that would distribute the momentum over the body; and bullets don't have near enough momentum to do much to a body.

All of which presupposes that conservation of momentum even applies to shields. Which, given that shields are basically magic, we can't know.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:And 8472 being able to do such in no way means that bullets and such would do the same; that's rather the point of 8472.
Kinetic engergy is kinetic energy, no two ways about it.
As for conservation of momentum, you make assumptions about how the implants are anchored in your statement. I could easily envisage a system that would distribute the momentum over the body; and bullets don't have near enough momentum to do much to a body.
Bog-standard Borg, fine, the exoskeleton would distribute the impact around the entire body, and handguns would have little to no effect (MGs would be another matter - the muzzel velocity is much higher). The problem with this is 7 of 9. She demonstrated the ability in The Raven to use her personal shields despite being stripped of her exoskeleton. This demonstrates that the implants generating the shields are not part of that exoskeleton.
All of which presupposes that conservation of momentum even applies to shields. Which, given that shields are basically magic, we can't know.
If we start saying "we don't understand how they work, therefore it must be magic and the laws of physics don't apply" then we might as well give up the entire debate, as we''d have no basis for analysis.[/i][/quote]
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Captain Seafort wrote:We've never seen Borg personal shields stop kinetic impacts. My examples were non-exhausive, as Species 8472 destroyed unknown numbers of drones in hand-to-hand combat (they've not demonstrated any hand-held energy weapon). Indeed conservation of momentum would make the usefulness of kinetic shields limited - the impact would rip loose the implants generating them, inflicting massive trauma.
First off, we have SEEN Borg shields stop kinetic impacts; Worf bounces off a Borg shield in Best of Both Worlds when he's trying to rescue Picard. The same thing happened to Data when he tried to escape on the E-E.
I hate to go around saying "there must be a good reason for everything" since that pretty much makes talking about it moot, but maybe Borg can control their shields more or less individually. Suppose a drone is getting into a hand-to-hand fight with a crewman and wants to assimiliate him, the drone would not want to use a KE shield, and instead rely on the idea that Borg tend to be stronger to incapacitate the target. If that is standard procedure, then the times they are beaten in hand-to-hand are when they underestimate their target (Worf or Data)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And 8472 being able to do such in no way means that bullets and such would do the same; that's rather the point of 8472.
Physics aren't my strong point so I'll leave the bullets to someone else.
8472's claws being able to injure them does indicate that things like blades and fists could as well. Unless there is evidence that their claws are significantly different from 'normal' creatures.

Hmm... perhaps they work like the shields from Dune? They might block high speed attacks (like bullets) but not slower moving things like fists and knives. Just a thought.