Kira on Defiant

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Kira on Defiant

Post by Teaos »

I know we have discussed this before. But I was recently rewatching all of DS9 and every time Kira was placed in charge of Federation personal and tech it just seemed very out of place.

Her position on the station is very logical and proper, although I wonder how Starfleet feels about a foreign military personal having access to their tech and intelligence.

But hr being XO of the Defiant, sometimes even in command, is just bizzare, she shouldnt even be on the ship in any capacity. Both from a starfleet point of view and from hers, her only concern is Bajor and DS9.

The only explanation, I can think of, is the Federation really wants Bajor to join, and fully expects them to with in a few years. So they are just treating them like they are already a member to help the process. It might not go well if they continually exclude Kira from Starfleet matters as she is most likely the Bajoran with the most to do with them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Kira on Defiant

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:But hr being XO of the Defiant, sometimes even in command, is just bizzare, she shouldnt even be on the ship in any capacity. Both from a starfleet point of view and from hers, her only concern is Bajor and DS9.
No more bizarre than Riker being XO of the Pagh, or Kurn XO of the E-D.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:But hr being XO of the Defiant, sometimes even in command, is just bizzare, she shouldnt even be on the ship in any capacity. Both from a starfleet point of view and from hers, her only concern is Bajor and DS9.
No more bizarre than Riker being XO of the Pagh, or Kurn XO of the E-D.
Well, slightly more bizarre, inasmuch as Riker and Kurn were part of a sanctioned exchange protocol the sole purpose and explicit charter of which was to place those people within the command chain of the host vessels. Kira was never part of such a program as far as the audience knows, and we can expect to have known if she was. I tend to agree with Teaos on this one, but the hand-waving is pretty easy to come by if you want to watch in peace: Kira's position on DS9 was recognized and sanctioned by Starfleet, and one may comfortably assume that such sanctioning extended to any posting such a position would entail. I'd have thought that the dramatic nature of the show might have benefitted from something as simple as a generic crewmember shooting a questioning look at the ranking Starfleet officer after Kira gave a command or something like that, but that's just a storytelling point.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This always bugged me. Yeah, it's perfectly sensible that she's XO on the station - it's Bajoran property. But it makes no sense at all that her authority extends to being in command of Federation Runabouts or the Defiant.

I was delighted in the last season when they gave her a Starfleet commission for some mission or other - I forget what. They should have done that in season 1, IMO.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It was when she went to help Demar start the rebellion, they thought she would be more respected as a representative of the Federation and not Bajoran scum.

But there is no way in hell she would have accepted a field promotion in Season 1, maybe in season 4.

They should have just laid down some sort of integration. In the spirit of bringing the Federation and Bajor together, we will be allowing you access to our ships and personal over a period of 5 years. See the process happen over time. so by the time the Defiant comes, it makes sense for her to be allowed on, but no way in hell should she command it.

This also stems from the fact that I just really really dont like Kira as a character. Infact she may just be my most hated character in Trek, more than Nelix or Weasly.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Any particular reason?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A lot of small reasons all added together. Weasly and Nelix were just annoying, but they were treated as annoying by the crew mostly, they filled the part they were ment to fill.

Kira just annoyed me as a character, her rejection of holodecks and her condnsation of those who use them, her xenophobia which she expressed to Dax several times. Her total blindness to the fact that for a Ferengi, Quark was a boarder line humanitarian, selling food at next to cost to starving Bajoranas, and she had the nerve to call him a collaborator.

And the way her character was written, now I don't find here especailly actrative, they made poor costume and hair and makeup choices with her, which is fine, woman arnt here to look pretty for us. But EVERY fucking man seemed to want to bone her. Vedic Berile, The first Minister, Odo, Dukat, Jake, Quark. Her portrayal in the mirror universe was hardly a parrody of her, it was just her dialed up very slightly and removing inhibitions.

She suffered in the same way Nelix did, the actors did fine with what was given to them, but what was given to them was shit.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Off screen authorization for her to be effectively the XO of the Defiant or even Starfleet missions perhaps?

It doesn't make sense to me either. In fact having your whole DS9 command crew on the Defiant makes no sense either.

In fact having Kira on the station when Sisko leaves on the Defiant is logical. Though to be honest if would be more logical to have Worf or Dax do it while Sisko and Kira stay on the station.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:She suffered in the same way Nelix did, the actors did fine with what was given to them, but what was given to them was shit.
Hmm, can't say those things jumped out at me particularly. I never liked Kira all that much, but I jut found her a bit dull.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Hot thing to me and not much character. Imagine nuBSG Starbuck and I think i could get on board. Though that would be hard for 91-92 population.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

She was almost a throwaway character to me. Certainly she was important as a tool to introduce or collate plot points, but as a character she was not much more than her cosmetic description.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would have given Garek star listing over her.

Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Or, Sisko didn't exactly always follow the rules and he is the one that put her in charge. None of the crew cared because she was already normally #2 in charge. Plus, I doubt that 500 years in the future Starfleet is run like today's military.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The issue is, she wouldnt be trained in Federation Starship opperations, rules, attack patterns ect. She was a resistance fighter, not a command officer.

Also much of the information she would need would be highly classified.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I never 'hated' Kira, but she is way down on the list overall for me.