Kira on Defiant

Deep Space Nine
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kira on Defiant

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You know, I always thought Worf should have been brought onto the show as the Captain of the Defiant.

First, let's face it, "Chief of Strategic Operations" is a non-job. It's so obviously a non-job that they even had a scene where people on the show mocked his job to his face. Giving him the Defiant gives him a clear role in the show.

Second, Worf's been on the Enterprise for eight whole years by the time he makes his move to DS9. It's easily time for him to be moving on and up to his own command.

Third, can you think of a better ship for Worf to command? He's Big Warrior Guy, the Defiant is perfect for him! Not to mention, as a small ship it would be a natural choice for a person's first command.

You could still have Sisko go along when he wants to, as the mission commander - much as Admiral Jameson commanded the mission whilst Picard commanded the ship in Too Short a Season. But it just seems like it would make sense.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

While I think that would have been a first-rate idea, GK, it sort of flies in the face of the idea of the Defiant being Sisko's plaything/mid-life-crisis red convertible.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Teaos wrote:The issue is, she wouldnt be trained in Federation Starship opperations, rules, attack patterns ect. She was a resistance fighter, not a command officer.

Also much of the information she would need would be highly classified.
Well, in the 24th century, 16 year olds have the ability to cold-recall levels of physics that nearly no one alive today can even comprehend... and then program a computer to alter those physics by only pushing 4 or 5 unlabeled buttons a few times.

The training and learning curve in the 24th century seems to be quite short. She probably could have learned Federation Starship operations, rules, etc while drinking her orange juice that morning.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Graham Kennedy wrote:You know, I always thought Worf should have been brought onto the show as the Captain of the Defiant.

First, let's face it, "Chief of Strategic Operations" is a non-job. It's so obviously a non-job that they even had a scene where people on the show mocked his job to his face. Giving him the Defiant gives him a clear role in the show.

Second, Worf's been on the Enterprise for eight whole years by the time he makes his move to DS9. It's easily time for him to be moving on and up to his own command.

Third, can you think of a better ship for Worf to command? He's Big Warrior Guy, the Defiant is perfect for him! Not to mention, as a small ship it would be a natural choice for a person's first command.

You could still have Sisko go along when he wants to, as the mission commander - much as Admiral Jameson commanded the mission whilst Picard commanded the ship in Too Short a Season. But it just seems like it would make sense.
Agreed, Sisko should have been promoted to Captain with the assignment to DS9, then brevetted to Commodore for the war effort. I think Starfleet should have sent a replacement for Eddington too.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Technically Commodore is an old title. But maybe the 24th century resurrected it. But from what I remember it is the equivalent of Rear Admiral Lower Class.

Basically Starfleet is an old world version of a fictional sailing fleet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Yep
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Would have been a quick jump from Captain to Commordore, Although Janeway went from Captain to 3 star in like 4 years.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Technically Commodore is an old title. But maybe the 24th century resurrected it. But from what I remember it is the equivalent of Rear Admiral Lower Class.

Commodore today is a rank in its own right, rather than an appointment, or the junior 50% of Rear Admirals. Starfleet has had the rank since Kirk's day - both Matt Decker (The Doomsday Machine) and Robert Wesley (The Ultimate Computer) were Commodores.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Technically Commodore is an old title. But maybe the 24th century resurrected it. But from what I remember it is the equivalent of Rear Admiral Lower Class.

Commodore today is a rank in its own right, rather than an appointment, or the junior 50% of Rear Admirals. Starfleet has had the rank since Kirk's day - both Matt Decker (The Doomsday Machine) and Robert Wesley (The Ultimate Computer) were Commodores.
But the rank is never heard again in TNG. It is completely possible the rank was phased out in favor of Rear Admiral - Lower Half.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:But the rank is never heard again in TNG. It is completely possible the rank was phased out in favor of Rear Admiral - Lower Half.
Indeed. It's also possible that the rank was phased out in favour of "Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes", but there's about as much evidence of that as "Rear Admiral lower half".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Indeed. It's also possible that the rank was phased out in favour of "Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes"
I'd give good money to see an officer with that rank on the Enterprise-D. Especially if they were to have people say it out loud at every possible opportunity during the episode.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:I'd give good money to see an officer with that rank on the Enterprise-D. Especially if they were to have people say it out loud at every possible opportunity during the episode.
I doubt it would last. Some 6-star admiral would probably take the rank off them after a week. :P
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:But the rank is never heard again in TNG. It is completely possible the rank was phased out in favor of Rear Admiral - Lower Half.
Indeed. It's also possible that the rank was phased out in favour of "Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes", but there's about as much evidence of that as "Rear Admiral lower half".
Actually any evidence of a lower Rear Admiral would be seen on their uniform.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:I'd give good money to see an officer with that rank on the Enterprise-D. Especially if they were to have people say it out loud at every possible opportunity during the episode.
I doubt it would last. Some 6-star admiral would probably take the rank off them after a week. :P
Pffft. There's no such thing as a 6 Star Admiral. Only some kind of deranged fan with an excessive ego would give himself such a rank.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

You say deranged like it's a bad thing.