SF Debris: Take Me Out to the Holosuite

Deep Space Nine
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: Take Me Out to the Holosuite

Post by Nutso »

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ew-6904237
Opinionated DS9 Episode Guide heads to the height of the Dominion War and the bloodiest conflict in centuries... so we can watch them play baseball. Shockingly, this is not an animated episode.
Baseball.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SF Debris: Take Me Out to the Holosuite

Post by Teaos »

I give it a 7/10, a stupid fun episode.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Two of my all-time favorite Worf lines are in this episode:

"Death to the opposition!"

and

"Find him and kill him!"

:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Also, my favorite O'Brien line ever:

Bashir: "What flavor did you make it?"

O'Brien: "Scotch."
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Pretty much Trek's version of a slap stick comedy.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I... really disagree with him on this one. It's not a high favorite, but overall I really do love it.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I... really disagree with him on this one. It's not a high favorite, but overall I really do love it.
I agree. It doesn't try to be anything other than exactly what it appears to be (which I think Chuck aludes to), and i think that makes it pretty great. It's just a fun episode; and while some people may find a "fun" episode jarring in the middle of war-time, i think it's necessary both for the audience and the characters. Heck, Sisko even admits, DS9 is not the front line anymore so the show can take some time to focus on things that are not combat (like this episode and Badda-Bing-Badda-Bang).
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I liked this one too. Perhaps part of that is that I'm one of the guys he's talking about who doesn't know a whole lot about baseball and doesn't watch baseball movies, so what he thought of as cliche was pretty fresh to me.

But it's just a fun lighthearted episode. I don't see anything wrong with that, goofing off and having fun is what people do. It makes them more human. Or more alien, as the case may be. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I... really disagree with him on this one. It's not a high favorite, but overall I really do love it.
I agree. It doesn't try to be anything other than exactly what it appears to be (which I think Chuck aludes to), and i think that makes it pretty great. It's just a fun episode; and while some people may find a "fun" episode jarring in the middle of war-time, i think it's necessary both for the audience and the characters. Heck, Sisko even admits, DS9 is not the front line anymore so the show can take some time to focus on things that are not combat (like this episode and Badda-Bing-Badda-Bang).
A friend of mine who was in Iraq commented that he helped set up a baseball field over there. Look at all those pictures and stories of baseball games during the American Civil War, too.
Graham Kennedy wrote:I liked this one too. Perhaps part of that is that I'm one of the guys he's talking about who doesn't know a whole lot about baseball and doesn't watch baseball movies, so what he thought of as cliche was pretty fresh to me.

But it's just a fun lighthearted episode. I don't see anything wrong with that, goofing off and having fun is what people do. It makes them more human. Or more alien, as the case may be. :)
lol, same here. I'm an 'honorary' member of the Red Sox Nation and at least half the stuff in baseball makes little to no sense to me. ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I liked this one too. Perhaps part of that is that I'm one of the guys he's talking about who doesn't know a whole lot about baseball and doesn't watch baseball movies, so what he thought of as cliche was pretty fresh to me.

Yeah, I don't watch many baseball films but in the episode I tend to spot a lot of cliches common to those "under-dog sports team" films ... and I love them for it. I love that the episode is so unashamedly cliche about things, right up until the end when the plucky underdog team doesn't win but instead goes for the "moral victory" in place of real victory :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think part of what makes this ep fun is that the cliches felt like they were supposed to be there, and the show was unashamed of them. It was a way of the show distancing itself from the heavy, draining war eps or the erudite mystery eps.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer