SF Debris: Playing God

Deep Space Nine
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SF Debris: Playing God

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Visuals from the episode show liquid water on the interior surface:
Nobody has said there isn't liquid water on the surface.
Given that shortly thereafter Data got the formula for the surface area of a sphere wrong,
No he didn't.
it's possible that he was malfunctioning at the time.
Sure it's possible. It's also possible that the Dyson sphere doesn't exist at all because the entire episode was just the bridge crew goofing off in an elaborate holodeck adventure. If one is prepared to reinterpret what's on screen to a sufficient degree, then pretty much anything is possible. The question is, what's reasonable?
The fact that the E-D could find no signs of life is evidence that the sphere is unoccupied. The reasons for that are completely unknown.
Even though they specifically state the unstable star that's throwing off radiation and mass ejections as an explanation for it being unoccupied?

I'm not above twisting words a little, if there's a reason to. But here... what's the reason to, exactly? The episode specifically states that the instability of the star is an explanation for the sphere being abandoned. You want to say that no, that's not really the reason. Okay... what's your reason for saying that?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Interesting concept. The whole episode was Geordi playing a holodeck adventure where he finds Scotty. Interesting.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Noooooooo! No more holodecks episodes!!!
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It's interesting to me.

Besides I'd rather have a live Scotty in the 24th century.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:Interesting concept. The whole episode was Geordi playing a holodeck adventure where he finds Scotty. Interesting.
And... we've just skipped episodes and series. I have whiplash, now.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And... we've just skipped episodes and series. I have whiplash, now.
I was briefly confused, and then I remembered.... I'm on DITL!
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And... we've just skipped episodes and series. I have whiplash, now.
TR-116, everyone!
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
TR-116, everyone!
Where the posts are made up and the topics don't matter!
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The first game we're gonna play is 'props'... now if you'll excuse me, off to YouTube!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There was a novel about Starfleet or Enterprise coming back to the Dyson Sphere. Never read it though.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I heard about that, wonder how they plotted that. Would be kinda hard for the Romulans to try and steal it since its in the middle of federation space and... You know... Kinda big.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Understatement of the week.

It's perhaps one of the biggest structures in Sci Fi.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:It's perhaps one of the biggest structures in Sci Fi.
One of? If anyone's even heard of a bigger single structure I'd like to know about it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I just checked. It is the largest structure in Sci Fi. For some reason I thought there was something bigger.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Dont really know what could be bigger than that, a solar system sized space station?