Why wouldn't knives or similar weapons be standard SF issue?

Deep Space Nine
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why wouldn't knives or similar weapons be standard SF is

Post by Graham Kennedy »

kostmayer wrote:When did the Borg assimilating people on the spot first happen in Trek? First Contact? In TNG it looked like they physically added implants to humanoid body - such that Picard was able to be restored by simply removing the implants again.
It's hard to say exactly. When they capture Picard in Best of Both Worlds, a drone puts something to his neck and he freezes and goes "ahhhh" just before he beams out. It could be some sort of stun device, or it could be a nanoprobe injection.

In First Contact we see them injecting nanoprobes, but they also do surgical stuff to implant larger parts. I've always assumed that this is standard practice, with surgery augmenting nanobots because it's faster or more efficient.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I would assume nano bots have limits to what they can build with the bodies natural material.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:It's hard to say exactly. When they capture Picard in Best of Both Worlds, a drone puts something to his neck and he freezes and goes "ahhhh" just before he beams out. It could be some sort of stun device, or it could be a nanoprobe injection.
If it is a nanoprobe injection it's obviously far less effective than the FC/Voyager version, as Picard remained sufficiently unassimilated to be interviewed by, and argue with, the ship shortly after his capture, with no trace of progressing assimilation.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:If it is a nanoprobe injection it's obviously far less effective than the FC/Voyager version, as Picard remained sufficiently unassimilated to be interviewed by, and argue with, the ship shortly after his capture, with no trace of progressing assimilation.
Yep.

The stun idea makes more sense in that respect. Although then you have to question why they wouldn't have injected him right there on the bridge as that's their standard MO.

Either way, his assimilation was very different to any other we saw afterwards.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The Borg actually interviewing him makes no sense thoigh. There was no point in the Borg talking to him.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

GrahamKennedy wrote:In First Contact we see them injecting nanoprobes, but they also do surgical stuff to implant larger parts. I've always assumed that this is standard practice, with surgery augmenting nanobots because it's faster or more efficient.
I figured the nanprobes just created the interface and anti-trauma medium between the "host" and the implants.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

There's quite a passage of time between BoBW and FC/Voyager so I guess its possible the nanoprobe injection technique is improved somewhat? More experience with assimilating humans means a faster and more efficient process which renders the newly assimilated more compliant and less resistive.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

There's quite a passage of time between BoBW and FC/Voyager so I guess its possible the nanoprobe injection technique is improved somewhat? More experience with assimilating humans means a faster and more efficient process which renders the newly assimilated more compliant and less resistive.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:The Borg actually interviewing him makes no sense thoigh. There was no point in the Borg talking to him.
Only thing I can say is it's probably for the audience.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

If you go by ST:FC, the scene in the cube in BoBW, after his abduction, was Picard's opportunity to willingly submit to assimilation to be the Borg spokesman for their galactic version of AmWay, or whatever. So it would stand to reason that Picard's abduction and assimilation were unique. When he's brought before the cube and they speak to him, I think that's their version of reasoning with him. He declines, so they assimilate him in the usual style of the time.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well Picard was the first person we will ever saw get assimilated and the only one until First Contact.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"