Why wouldn't knives or similar weapons be standard SF issue?

Deep Space Nine
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why wouldn't knives or similar weapons be standard SF is

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:And we were told that the reason for this was that 8472 has special cells or some damn thing that made any adaption to anything they did impossible.
No, we were told that they had an extremely powerful immune system that meant they couldn't be assimilated. Their combat effectiveness, both ship-to-ship and hand-to-hand, was down to BF&BI.
Ah, right. My apologies.

Well in any case, there's no reason they couldn't shield against physical attacks if they wished. So I would presume that what we saw was one of very few physical attacks 8472 came out and the Borg never bothered.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:8472 were special.
Because their immune system destroyed nanoprobes (and pretty much anything else) and their ships had enough BF&BI to take on a cube. Not because their punches had any magical shield-penetrating properties.
BF&BI? What's that short for?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Brute Force and Bloody Ignorance.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ah, thank you. :)
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Question is, how easy is it to kill a Borg with a bladed weapon? It's not a zombie, brain trauma doesn't guarantee a Borg is dead. The only instance of a Borg being killed with a bladed weapon I can think of was by Worf in ST:FC. He severed an arm and then dug his knife in the neck of a drone, seemingly killing it. Maybe he only paralyzed it? One could hobble or incapacitate a Borg with bladed weapons, but would killing them easy?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yanking tubes from it seem to kill or disable them sometimes, so several swipes around the head and neck should drop one.

But how many swipes do you get before the tube you...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

You would think Borg would be pretty damn hard to kill but it seems to be not the case.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Borg arent designed to be melee warriors.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Borg arent designed to be melee warriors.
One shot kills with phasers and pulling tubes disables them. A neck slice kills them. You would think with all of those artificial enhancements they would be harder to kill because of a secondary heart, extra armor, extra redundancy, etc.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:One shot kills with phasers and pulling tubes disables them. A neck slice kills them. You would think with all of those artificial enhancements they would be harder to kill because of a secondary heart, extra armor, extra redundancy, etc.
That's not the way the Borg think through - their redundancy comes in that for every drone you shoot down two more will take its place.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That makes sense but we are still talking about mechanical humanoid beings that should be able to withstand more punishment. Both ability to adapt and be durable at the same time.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Also even if you "kill" a droid, assuming they win in the end, I think they can reactivate and bring it back assuming you didnt totally destroy it.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:That makes sense but we are still talking about mechanical humanoid beings that should be able to withstand more punishment. Both ability to adapt and be durable at the same time.
I don't think "should" is the right word so much as "could". Sure, the Borg have the technology to make their drones a lot tougher than they are, but at the individual level (irony not intended) they prefer quantity over quality.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That was my point. They certain have the technology to make their drones tougher than they do now.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

When did the Borg assimilating people on the spot first happen in Trek? First Contact? In TNG it looked like they physically added implants to humanoid body - such that Picard was able to be restored by simply removing the implants again.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."