Deep Space Nine vs. Terok Nor

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Deep Space Nine vs. Terok Nor

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:Plus, while the Bajorans would loathe to admit it, they would be pretty familiar with Cardassian technology; since a large proportion of Terok Nor's crew were Bajorans, they might insist on using Cardassian technology.
Or not so loathe. Remember Kira's comparison of Fed and Cardie phaser rifles, when she was pretty scathing about the Fed version and had no qualms about stating outright that the Cardies knew how to build solid, reliable kit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Broadly speaking we've seen no evidence that Federation kit is superior to Cardassian. Federation ships are generally more capable but they've got a much much MUCH larger resources bank to pull from. The Galor class is roughly the same sort of size as an Intrepid class; seems to pack one hell of a punch for a ship of that size. It may be that the Cardassian equipment worked just as well, if not better, than the Fed tech. We always assume Federation equipment is superior but I cannot remember any evidence to that effect.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

How many times have we seen Cardie hand held weapons futzed up by some anomaly of the week? Personally I just assume that Fed tech is temperamental and flimsy because of how much they try to do with it. What's a regular phaser have, ten power levels? Multiple beam configurations, auto-targeting etc? Most other hand weapons have one setting, kill, and one direction, "what I'm aiming at."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, that was the entirety of Kira's point. Cardie phasers didn't have nearly as many options as Fed phasers, but were a damn sight more reliable. I've seen no evidence that this relationship applied to other sorts of technology, but I similarly have no reason to believe that it doesn't.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:Indeed, that was the entirety of Kira's point. Cardie phasers didn't have nearly as many options as Fed phasers, but were a damn sight more reliable. I've seen no evidence that this relationship applied to other sorts of technology, but I similarly have no reason to believe that it doesn't.
Honestly when it comes to hand held weapons it comes down to a point where improvements become more about reliability and options as power can go up so far before it becomes an anti vehicle weapon.

O'Brian did have issues with the Cardassian computer. I can't remember offhand because of being interfaced with Starfleet computers or Cardassian computers suck.

Come to think of it, the station was always breaking down.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Reliant121 wrote:We always assume Federation equipment is superior but I cannot remember any evidence to that effect.
Interesting point you have.
Reliant121 wrote:The Galor class is roughly the same sort of size as an Intrepid class; seems to pack one hell of a punch for a ship of that size.
As Tyyr said about the phasers, "I just assume that Fed tech is temperamental and flimsy because of how much they try to do with it." The Intrepid has a lot of neat stuff in it, but the Galor might just be dedicated to fighting.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Federation technology had always seemed to have alot of extra features whereas the other races seem to be dedicated towards one thing. Whether or not it is more robust than Fed stuff is unknown.

Come to think about it, I think the only time a Galor was winning was in Caretaker. Other times it has been on losing side.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"