Deep Space Nine vs. Terok Nor

Deep Space Nine
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Deep Space Nine vs. Terok Nor

Post by McAvoy »

Not a versus.

I am just wondering by Season 7 how much of it was original after O'Brian and Starfleet did their upgrades and modifications. I mean, I know they had to do it piece meal as they couldn't just shut down the whole the station while they gutted the interior and replaced it with equivilent Starfleet parts and stuff.

The weapons was upgraded, though I do wonder how much of the extra stuff we saw from Way of the Warrior was original but just upgraded. Throughout the series we really didn't see Starfleet equipment attached to the station like it replaced a defective/broken/piece of shit Cardassian part.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Deep Space Nine vs. Terok Nor

Post by Deepcrush »

The exterior was likely left most intact because if it works then O'Brian isn't the type who does what isn't needed. That and he had a staff so small that he was still needed to help with field repairs. Shields and weapons are again likely to be nothing of the original. Everything else, most likely not much change.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Perhaps. I mean we just never saw Starfleet technology spliced into Cardassian technology. Even the computer consoles remained Cardassian in design.

O'Brian obviously isn't the type to fix what isn't broken but he is known to tinker if he has the time.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:Perhaps. I mean we just never saw Starfleet technology spliced into Cardassian technology. Even the computer consoles remained Cardassian in design.

O'Brian obviously isn't the type to fix what isn't broken but he is known to tinker if he has the time.
It was a Bajoran station after all, maybe they didn't want all of the systems gutted and replaced, especially since the Bajoran "laborers" would likely still be familiar with Cardassian technology.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I imagine it'd be an awful lot of work to completely gut such a large station, a station that's eminently occupied with every kind of transport vessel, civilian or military. I think it was just plenty efficient enough at its purpose that it was just unnecessary to change everything.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Replacing the gear is still a good way to make sure there are no program traps left around, or spy routines, or stuff that will simply copy Federation internal comm protocols and download them to a Cardassian with a datapad. A proper battle for DS9 when the Dominion fleet arrived should have featured the Cardasssian fleet sending what appear to be random subspace or EM snippets to the station, and they trigger pre-programmed routines. Presto, the IFF on the station swaps, and the C/D fleet is now labeled as friendly, and the Defiant as the enemy. It then locks out all controls until the next correct outside transmission occurs. I'd see this as a way for Cardsssian commanders to keep their subordinates from pulling any stunts (their boss just transmits the code and takes over their command). Figure a nice hierarchy like this, where every commander has override codes for his immediate subordinates.

Technically, DS9 could have kept the Cardassian style interfaces, but just use Federation computers, surfaces, etc for the processing. The original computer would be disassembled and sent back to Stafleet Computer research center to learn everything they can from of it. A statement to that effect would have helped a lot. Just discuss how the changeover is going, and O'Brian remarks that he is leaving the interfaces in place while the computers are being changed out.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Reliant121 wrote:I imagine it'd be an awful lot of work to completely gut such a large station, a station that's eminently occupied with every kind of transport vessel, civilian or military. I think it was just plenty efficient enough at its purpose that it was just unnecessary to change everything.

I do not think Starfleet would change anything if it didn't have to. But if for your example certain parts that break that they cannot replicate then it makes sense that O'Brian would replace the whole system or create a Starfleet equivalent. Or if something performs well below Starfleet standards that could be replaces by something better too.

To me, it seems in the seven years we saw it, DS9 should at least seem to have Starfleet equipment spliced or ehatever with Cardassian equipment. I would imagine simple appearances like panel coloring or style could still remain Cardassian even if replaced with a Starfleet panel.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

The episode where the Cardassian scientist install a communication relay on the other side of the wormhole shows their frustration with some of the changes that O'Brien made to DS9 in accordance with Starfleet safety codes.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Reliant121 wrote:I imagine it'd be an awful lot of work to completely gut such a large station, a station that's eminently occupied with every kind of transport vessel, civilian or military. I think it was just plenty efficient enough at its purpose that it was just unnecessary to change everything.
For civilian gear, that can wait. For dealing with control over power, sensors, life support, shields, and weapons, that should be taken over by Starfleet gear ASAP.
McAvoy wrote: To me, it seems in the seven years we saw it, DS9 should at least seem to have Starfleet equipment spliced or ehatever with Cardassian equipment. I would imagine simple appearances like panel coloring or style could still remain Cardassian even if replaced with a Starfleet panel.
Part of that time it was under Dominion control, so Starfleet gear would be destroyed before Sisko left, and it would be replaced by Cardassian gear instead. After Starfleet retakes the station, the fleet is still the target for refits, so DS9 doesn't get changed over until after the Dominion War is ended.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Coalition wrote:Replacing the gear is still a good way to make sure there are no program traps left around, or spy routines, or stuff that will simply copy Federation internal comm protocols and download them to a Cardassian with a datapad. A proper battle for DS9 when the Dominion fleet arrived should have featured the Cardasssian fleet sending what appear to be random subspace or EM snippets to the station, and they trigger pre-programmed routines. Presto, the IFF on the station swaps, and the C/D fleet is now labeled as friendly, and the Defiant as the enemy. It then locks out all controls until the next correct outside transmission occurs. I'd see this as a way for Cardsssian commanders to keep their subordinates from pulling any stunts (their boss just transmits the code and takes over their command). Figure a nice hierarchy like this, where every commander has override codes for his immediate subordinates.

Technically, DS9 could have kept the Cardassian style interfaces, but just use Federation computers, surfaces, etc for the processing. The original computer would be disassembled and sent back to Stafleet Computer research center to learn everything they can from of it. A statement to that effect would have helped a lot. Just discuss how the changeover is going, and O'Brian remarks that he is leaving the interfaces in place while the computers are being changed out.
Well, there was that one episode where the anti-insurgency protocols were triggered. Damned if I can remember the name...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Civil Defence IIRC
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That... yeah. I think you're right, Seafort. And yeah, that's what happens when you don't do a thorough purge of the operating system. Althouygh Dukat being lokced out like he was was quite funny and karmic. :D
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Coalition wrote:For civilian gear, that can wait. For dealing with control over power, sensors, life support, shields, and weapons, that should be taken over by Starfleet gear ASAP.
That stands as an argument about the time they totally rearmed the station, true. But up until that point (end of series 4?) it was a civilian station was it not? I don't see any reason why the systems on board need be anything more than civilian.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Good point - why Starfleet refurbish a station that wasn't theirs - and wasn't even the property of a Federation member - with proprietary equipment?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Considering the distance Terok Nor was from the centre of Federation space, it would probably have been considerably easier to salvage what was left of Cardassian equipment scattered all across Bajor. Plus, while the Bajorans would loathe to admit it, they would be pretty familiar with Cardassian technology; since a large proportion of Terok Nor's crew were Bajorans, they might insist on using Cardassian technology.