SFDebris: Rapture

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Rapture

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Decent review, although I'm slightly disappointed that Chuck didn't raise the possibility that Sisko's "visions" were simply hallucinations caused by brain damage. The Prophets have, after all, never before or since attempted to communicate through visual metaphors in this way, and it's not exactly stunning to suggest that the Dominion would invade and attempt to establish a beachhead.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SFDebris: Rapture

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Although I won't be able to watch this until tomorrow... now I've got that Blondie song stuck in my head. :D :mrgreen:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

That painting was apparently done by the DaVinci of bajor if he painted in a blurred reflection in a painting 20000 years ago. Someone call dan brown.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have a hard time believing the Bajorans are stupid enough not to notice the reflection.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

McAvoy wrote:I have a hard time believing the Bajorans are stupid enough not to notice the reflection.
Yeah, that's my issue with it. 20,000 years an Sisko is the first person to notice it? What did Bajorans appreciate the painting by not looking at it?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I rather like his spiel before the episode, about what Trek can be to different people. Also, I'm looking forward to 'Who Watches the Watchers?'. I rather liked that episode.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

It would have been nice if the painting had been damaged and only the advanced technology of the Federation was able to recover the bits needed for the reflection.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Now that could have worked. Something besides Bajorans being blind.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Honestly, how much attention would you pay to the reflection of a painting? Even if you noticed the painter had included the reflection would you honestly expect the writing on it to be accurate and not just artistic license?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Honestly, how much attention would you pay to the reflection of a painting? Even if you noticed the painter had included the reflection would you honestly expect the writing on it to be accurate and not just artistic license?
Any individual might well miss it. The entirety of Bajoran society collectively to miss it for centuries looks like idiocy. For Sisko to then solve it within ten minutes... it's a bit nonsensical.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Seriously, look at any popular classical painting. Do you know how scrutinized they are? There are people who devote weeks or months to individual works of art, studying them in minute detail. For a painting as high profile as this one is supposed to have been there's no way you wouldn't have had dozens, even hundreds of scholars studying it intensely. And they all missed the reflection.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

They even scan them in light waves to see old layers of paint.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well at least the special ones. The Bajorans consider this one very special.

There are so many tests that we do in old even semi famous paintings even to see the brush strokes.

The Bajorans were blind not to see. I do think it would have been better if the painting was damaged or faulted in some way so only Federation could figure it out. Seems more plausible to me.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Considering how religious the Bajorans were, it would make plenty of sense for no one to be allowed to study or even see this painting for thousands of years, Tabernacle style.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Personally I would have made it a fabled long-lost work of art that had just been rediscovered a few weeks ago. The Bajorans have asked the Federation to scan it for them precisely because they want to do a super-detailed analysis of it and the Federation scanners are better than anything the Bajorans have. Hence this is the first time anybody has really given it a detailed close look.

Or maybe it's that they want it restored - very old paintings can be covered in layers of dirt, maybe the Federation has some super-accurate ultra precision transporter than can literally beam the dirt off the surface of a painting to restore it. Then Sisko finds the reflections which have been lost under the dirt and not visible all this time.

There are ways they could have gone that make waaaay more sense.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...