Missed Crossover Opportunities

Deep Space Nine
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Missed Crossover Opportunities

Post by Monroe »

So I've watched all of TNG and now working my way quickly through DS9. I've never seen any of DS9 hardly and I've been enjoying it thus far. I got to the episode 'You are Cordially Invited' 6-7 and it pissed me off so much that I thought I'd break my long silence here. It wasn't the only time I thought about posting- anyone else notice the Xindi in TNG? But it was by far the strongest reaction so far.

I had thought since the beginning of the Dominion war that the Enterprise should have been on screen. Yes it wouldn't work money wise to have the crew but the actual ship or Picard or at least a mention of it would have been damn nice! It's the flagship of the Federation. I know when the series started they had a few cross overs to get people interested and then they did what any producer would and feel hesitant to do crossovers cause they wanted DS9 to be its own show and not just TNG extended and I can respect that. However, in season 6, episode 7 where is Riker? Riker is Worf's best friend! Picard would have been good to have as well. I really liked those characters in TNG and felt they dropped the ball here.

Your thoughts? What are some other missed crossover opportunities?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Missed Crossover Opportunities

Post by Jim »

I always figured that they producers made a decision to have as few corssover references as possible. They seemed to go out of their way to avoid direct lives between the shows. I think that they wanted them all to stand on their own, full stop.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I don't suppose the command staff of the UFP's flagship would be able to just take a liberty during a war in order to attend a wedding.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. They might've simply been on a mission then. A mention of that, though, would've worked wonders.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah. They might've simply been on a mission then. A mention of that, though, would've worked wonders.
Agreed. It's kind of funny, Voyager seemed to go out of their way to have cross overs whenever possible (There weren't many opportunities) but DS9 seems to avoid mentioning TNG whenever possible.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Could have even based one of the TNG movies in the Dominion war.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Monroe wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Yeah. They might've simply been on a mission then. A mention of that, though, would've worked wonders.
Agreed. It's kind of funny, Voyager seemed to go out of their way to have cross overs whenever possible (There weren't many opportunities) but DS9 seems to avoid mentioning TNG whenever possible.
I wonder if that statement could also be viewed as a commentary on the writing/story quality in Voyager. Except for the traditional handoff in the series premiere and bringing in Worf, DS9 didn't really need to do crossovers to have a strong story and standalone episodes. While yes at least a reference to the Enterprise or the war outside the scope of DS9 would have been nice, it was not necessary to include those elements for the story. Whereas in Voyager writers/staff may have wanted to prop up the show with tie-ins.

That could be it too, the production staff really wanted DS9 to, and thought DS9 could, stand on its own.

I actually always liked the take of it one of Shatner's books that said something along the lines of , the Enterprise is a high-profile ship so anywhere that she goes, Dominion spies are likely to follow. Perhaps they just kept a very tight lid on the Enterprise's movements.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Could have even based one of the TNG movies in the Dominion war.
That should have been the movie after First Contact, IMO.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Teaos wrote:Could have even based one of the TNG movies in the Dominion war.
Insurrection, but as a side note.

Sfdebris had a review about that here. Have Worf arguing to use the radiation and provide information about the losses from the Dominion War.

Or First Contact, where Worf is in charge of the Defiant, would have been a nice way to toss in a side comment.

My personal opinion is that Enterprise was sent around politicking with various governments, getting allies for the Federation, making hostiles into neutrals, and dedicated enemies are convinced to delay their war for a period of time. Like the beginning of First Contact Insurrection, where Picard is welcoming the alien delegation on board and he has to wear the head thing.
Last edited by Coalition on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Coalition wrote:

My personal opinion is that Enterprise was sent around polticking with various governments, getting allies for the Federation, making hostiles into neutrals, and dedicated enemies are convinced to delay their war for a period of time. Like the beginning of First Contact Insurrection, where Picard is welcoming the alien delegation on board and he has to wear the head thing.
It is possible. I also remember a line from Insurrection about negotiations somewhere and them wanting the Enterprise "to put out one more brush fire."

Actually that would make a lot of sense, using the diplomatically experienced captain of the Federation flagship to deal with the diplomatic issues. I'm not saying Picard and the Enterprise wouldn't be a definitive asset in a conflict, but it seems Picard is first and foremost a diplomat. It could also serve a great PR for Starfleet. No doubt there were citizens of the Federation uncomfortable with the sudden militarization of Starfleet, regardless of the war -- indeed there were likely people outright opposed to the war -- so using the Starfleet Flagship for diplomacy is a great way for Starfleet to send the message, "Hey, we're not a new military force. We are still the same Starfleet we've always been and our primary mission is to seek out new world and new civilizations..." It could go a long way to assuaging public fears, especially when one considers that calling the E-E anything other than a light Federation battle cruiser is essentially fooling themselves ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Monroe wrote: It wasn't the only time I thought about posting- anyone else notice the Xindi in TNG?
What?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tholian_Avenger wrote:
Monroe wrote: It wasn't the only time I thought about posting- anyone else notice the Xindi in TNG?
What?
There was a mention of Xindi star bases twice in TNG. I only remember one specific episode is with Picard and the Stargazer.

I think Data should have been brought in during the mutants that Bashir was working with to solve Federation policies. It would have been a good episode to see them all interact.

-Remain Star Trek-
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Monroe wrote: I think Data should have been brought in during the mutants that Bashir was working with to solve Federation policies. It would have been a good episode to see them all interact.
Bringing in all of them might have triggered a few alerts, such as bringing in the sole stable Soong android near a war front (Bajor is really close to Cardassia).

But when Sisko and crew were near Earth, that would have been a better time. Data finally gets to talk to people who are on the same level as him (as seen in A Matter of Time Data can really multi-task), and the geniuses get a new partner to talk to.

At the very least, have them take a look at Dominion fleet tactics, developing responses, and strategic analyses (such as Statistical Probabilities. The key is to make sure they don't try to defect to the Dominion, and are kept entertained/distracted.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I dont think you can have bringing Data into danger be a real issue, he was on the Federation flagship... not a safe zone...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Having Data meet up with Bashir's 'contemporaries' would be simultaneously a comedy gold mine and rather sad, too.