Deep Space Nine
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Missed Crossover Opportunities

Post by McAvoy »

Monroe wrote:
Tholian_Avenger wrote:
Monroe wrote: It wasn't the only time I thought about posting- anyone else notice the Xindi in TNG?
What?
There was a mention of Xindi star bases twice in TNG. I only remember one specific episode is with Picard and the Stargazer.

I think Data should have been brought in during the mutants that Bashir was working with to solve Federation policies. It would have been a good episode to see them all interact.
Ahhh I think I know what you are talking about. Some other alien race with a similar name that begins with a Z and not the super cool X.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

There was the Xendi Starbase, in the Xendi Sabu star system. I'm sure that was where the Enterprise towed the Stargazer following the incident with Bok and the Ferengi.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

It would have been nice to see the Enterprise in a couple DW battles as part of a fleet or helping DS9 in some way. At least to hear they mention it, something like "The Enterprise is leading the fleet in the attack over (insert cardassian like name) shipyards" or maybe Picard helping Sisko in one archaeological adventure looking for the Sword of Kahless or the orb of whatever. Also having Spock being an old Dax´s friend and teaming up in a scientific or diplomatic mission. Maybe Raiker in a mission to rescue his "clon".
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There are anywhere from 3-15 thousand ships in Starfleet, we wouldnt hear them mentioned unless it was something really special. Hell they might be keeping its location a secret so the Dominion cant target it, much like the British army keeps Prince Henrys location a secret.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

It´s a long shot but this is ST.
Anyway wouldn´t be that odd to send your flag ship to actually lead a fleet or some important operation in the war and they could met Sisko and friends. They don't have to do it every week but once or twice is not big deal.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SomosFuga wrote:It´s a long shot but this is ST.
Anyway wouldn´t be that odd to send your flag ship to actually lead a fleet or some important operation in the war and they could met Sisko and friends. They don't have to do it every week but once or twice is not big deal.
Given the seeming place of the E-D - and her crew - in Starfleet, I might have expected that as well. However, Teaos does give a rational explanation for why we didn't see that occurrence.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:It´s a long shot but this is ST.
Given the seeming place of the E-D - and her crew - in Starfleet, I might have expected that as well. However, Teaos does give a rational explanation for why we didn't see that occurrence.
True but even a throwaway line like, "Did you see the report from the X Fleet at El-Adrel? The Enterprise took a hell of a beating." or "The Enterprise led the reinforcements." wouldn't have been too hard.

Heck they even could have Worf mention a letter he received from Cmdr Riker or something to at least provide some general background knowledge, or see the name of a former Enterprise security crewman on the weekly casualty list or something along those lines could work.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

What would be the point? To remind us that there was a TNG?
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

It would be another little way to demonstrate that indeed the war is much larger than the tiny prism we see through DS9 (Which In the Pale Moonlight does fairly well, but other episodes do not) and it could be an added character moment for Worf. And it gives the audience another emotional tie-in to the story. Rather than Jadzia being upset at the death of a friend of a friend, have Sisko see Worf deeply affected by the death of a former promising junior officer on the Enterprise or something.

It may not add much but it doesn't detract anything either. I think it would provide what we like to call, "scope" (and in a manner which the audience would appreciate as well).
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Picard's a diplomat, so I'd expect more along the lines of:
"Tholian cruisers are holding in Sector 823"
"Sheliak reinforcements have arrived."

Or similar.

Basically the Federation loses a Sovereign class warship from the front lines, but gains fleets thanks to Picard's diplomatic skills.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I'm not sure where the Enterprise is about in the later movies but in TNG it certainly was in and around Cardassian, Klingon, and Romulan space, aka the heart of the war. I don't know, just seems odd that we missed it. The point of throwing it in is so fans know a bit about whats happening to their favorite characters.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I still don't see the problem. Sure, I would have given a little internal cheer if I'd seen or heard about the E-D's heroic exploits, but to write something like that in just for it's own sake would have seemed forced and trivial.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Is it so forced when 2 of your primary characters came from that ship and presumably still have friends there, especially when one of them is an officer with a strong sense of honor, obligation, and loyalty?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Is it so forced when 2 of your primary characters came from that ship and presumably still have friends there, especially when one of them is an officer with a strong sense of honor, obligation, and loyalty?
Yep... unless there is a strong and relevant reason organic to the current arc for the E-D to appear, then it absolutely is.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I still don't see the problem. Sure, I would have given a little internal cheer if I'd seen or heard about the E-D's heroic exploits, but to write something like that in just for it's own sake would have seemed forced and trivial.
And baffling, given that the E-D was destroyed several years before the war started (roughly the same time as the Odyssey).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.