How would you prepare?

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: How would you prepare?

Post by Deepcrush »

katefan wrote:A key step in preparation for war is defense. And one of the greatest defenses is distance from enemy forces; it was one of the reasons the Americans managed to win their Revolutionary war against one of, if not the greatest standing armies on Earth at the time, with Great Britain having to ferry troops and supplies across the Atlantic. So I stand by my statement that collapsing the wormhole would be the single best preparation for the Dominion War. It would just be a war in name only. :)
Then its not a war if you don't fight a war. A war is a conflict. If the OP was to avoid a war then it would be a good idea. Also the US didn't win the Revolutionary War because the British couldn't easily reach us. The US won because the British had more important things to deal with.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

McAvoy wrote:Snip
I understand saying. As guess work goes the guy seems to do pretty well.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Let's make it clear as Deep has said. The discussion is not how to avoid the war but how to prepare for the war. War is coming and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Besides, its no fun as a question if all you're doing is closing a door...
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

First of all, read my post again. I said one of the ways the rebels won the American Revolutionary war was distance, I did not say it was the sole reason. We won due in part to American stubbornness and a lot of French support at the end.

Second, you say war is inevitable, I just proved it is not. You are just upset at my solution to your no-win scenario. :D
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

What is my objective for this war?
  • Do I want to merely preserve the territory of the Federation?
    Do I want to prevent the Dominion from entering the Alpha Quadrant?
    Do I want to establish a foothold in the Gamma Quadrant?
    Do I want to attack the Dominion until they sue for peace?
    Do I want to conquer the Dominion?
    Do I want to destroy the Dominion?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

katefan wrote:First of all, read my post again. I said one of the ways the rebels won the American Revolutionary war was distance, I did not say it was the sole reason. We won due in part to American stubbornness and a lot of French support at the end.

Second, you say war is inevitable, I just proved it is not. You are just upset at my solution to your no-win scenario. :D
The whole point of this is how you would prepare for war not avoid it. Closing the wormhole is not an option.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IDK, denying your prospective enemy the opportunity to wage war sounds like a pretty good way to prepare to me. Not much different from bombing your enemy's C3 centers or production facilities.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:IDK, denying your prospective enemy the opportunity to wage war sounds like a pretty good way to prepare to me. Not much different from bombing your enemy's C3 centers or production facilities.
Exactly. It's the equivalent of taking Britain's strategic situation for the last thousand-plus years, and asking how we're going to beat the various armies opposing us. Having a 22-nile-wide moat and a navy might be considered (and has been called) cheating, but such complaints haven't helped the various kings, kaisers and obnoxious little corporals who've come a cropper as a result of said moat.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Guys, if you have no intention other then to troll and ignore the OP, just stay out of the thread. Mcavory stated "Prepare for war" not "prevent or avoid war". Answer it or if that's just to difficult for you, leave.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Could just simplify it and say there's no way to close the wormhole.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think Mcavory had the hope these guys would be mature enough to not have to be told that much due to the OP.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Mcavory stated "Prepare for war" not "prevent or avoid war".
The latter, given the grand strategic situation and objective, is the ideal method of accomplishing the former. The grand strategic objective of the Alpha Quadrant alliance was to prevent a Dominion takeover of the Quadrant, and once the war began the strategic method they always recognised as key to achieving this objective was to cut the Dominion's supply lines to the Gamma Quadrant. Preparations for war, assuming it was inevitable, would therefore logically follow the same path, as Sisko among others recognised. Both in The Search (albeit inside the Founder's simulation) and In Purgatory's Shadow, he attempted to forestall the invasion by sealing the wormhole. The fact that he was unsuccessful on the latter occasion in no way detracts from his clear recognition of the importance of doing so. Are you attempting to denigrate The Sisko's strategic vision?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The OP stated prepare for war, not troll the thread. Get over it and yourself.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This seems really simple: McAvoy says you can't seal the damn wormhole. Work from there.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939