How would you prepare?

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: How would you prepare?

Post by Mikey »

This. You don't need anything more than a "dumb" system to target anything that appears at the event horizon.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Mine the wormhole right off the bat, while you increase ship refit/construction, with only one hole in the field for controlled commercial traffic...

Change the hole's location every day, just to ensure no one sells the info to the Dominion...

This yields control over who comes in the quadrant through the wormhole...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Problem is that no one can control the location of the wormhole.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I think he was saying leave a single hole big enough for one ship in the mine field. Change the position of that hole every day to prevent the Dominion becoming aware of it's existence.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh, if that's the case then my apology. Thats not a bad idea, considering the level of control of the period it wouldn't be hard to do. The mines and or defense platforms could be rearanged on a regular basis.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Conduct research into the deflector dish weapon used in Best of Both Worlds, but figure a way to tone down the weapon so it can be fired repeatedly, without irradiating the rest of the ship. That will give a nice Big Gun to use against larger Dominion ships coming through the wormhole.

Beyond that would be figuring the best bang:buck ship we have, and cranking them out by the dozens/hundreds. Galaxies or similar sized ships to serve as mobile fire platforms/semi-starbases, with smaller ships dodging and weaving around. When the smaller ships take too much damage, they hide inside a Galaxy cluster, and repair systems/recharge shields.

Research into coordinated shield/transporter operations. I want to be able to press one button on both ships, the computers use laser communicators to synchronize shield and transporter operations. The ships drop shields in a limited area, the transporters engage automatically to transfer cargo (ammunition, supplies, wounded, etc) and the shields are back up within a couple seconds. If that isn't possible, the sending ship beams the supplies and/or ammunition into empty space, and the ship receiving beams from empty space. Not useable for wounded personnel, but it avoids potentially weakening two ships at the same time.

Fusion freighter reserve. I'll be needing antimatter for warships, so the older fusion powered freighters will be brought out. They will be burning more fuel per light-year than an MAM powered ship, but the fuel is available anywhere. Their job is to free up fuel supplies for the war effort, while also transporting goods. They might not have as much cargo capacity or endurance as a MAM ship, but that is not their job.

Another advantage is reduced training necessary, since any fuel overflow problems in the main fusion plant can be handled by a janitor turning off a physical valve. This makes reactor safety much easier to approve vs a MAM system. Trained personnel can then be transferred from freighters to Starfleet vessels, and cadets can be moved through Starfleet Academy faster to replace losses. Cadets moved through accelerated training in this manner will need to be returns to Starfleet Academy to complete their training, but practical hands-on experience will serve them well. In addition, specialized training programs using backup bridges and mockups of engineering spaces can be used to perform training scenarios while the freighters are en-route.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I think he was saying leave a single hole big enough for one ship in the mine field. Change the position of that hole every day to prevent the Dominion becoming aware of it's existence.
Yeah, that is what I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)