Breen Attack on Earth

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Breen Attack on Earth

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jim wrote:You mean like with effective bombardment abilities? :angel1:
Indeed. Along with armies, competent engineering and sane personnel policies.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yep. We've never seen planetary bombardment abilities beyond targeting specific cities at a time, and we certainly don't know how efficient even those abilities were.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:
SomosFuga wrote:And we can not assume they don't exist either just because we haven't see them.
If we have to make a statement about their existence beyond "possibly," then yes we can and we must. Absence of evidence, and all that.
SomosFuga wrote:big Klingon hybrid bases/platforms? i don't remember those.
This, from DS9: "Apocalypse Rising."
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. We can't assume those shields exist or not, we just do not know. Regarding how this light damage was made to SF HQ we can only guess and that is what we are doing. Anyway, i don't think they had shields there because they weren't specting an attack on Earth AFAIK.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:Yep. We've never seen planetary bombardment abilities beyond targeting specific cities at a time, and we certainly don't know how efficient even those abilities were.
What about the bombardment on the founder's homeplanet? Or the bombardment of the vaadwaur homeplanet?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SomosFuga wrote:Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. We can't assume those shields exist or not
Yes it is, and yes we can.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

^ that.
SomosFuga wrote:What about the bombardment on the founder's homeplanet? Or the bombardment of the vaadwaur homeplanet?
What about them? Those events don't point out any particular efficiency involved in said bombardments, or whether a dedicated planetary-bombardment weapon would have been better or even extant at all.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

In a few seconds they destroyed 30% of the planet's surface, so we have some idea of what they can do from orbit.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:In a few seconds they destroyed 30% of the planet's surface, so we have some idea of what they can do from orbit.
We sure can. What we can't tell, which is what I'm discussing, is whether that destruction:
a) came from conventional weapons or dedicated planetary bombardment weapons;
b) if the former, do such bombardment weapons exist and would they function more efficiently;
c) how efficiently (not effectively) did the weapons used function.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Since we saw them firing from standard ports with weapons that appeared no different then normal and with no mention of special weapons for the engagement. The evidence present suggests that they were the standard weapons of the ships on station.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:In a few seconds they destroyed 30% of the planet's surface, so we have some idea of what they can do from orbit.
Did they? We saw them open fire, and we saw them hit the surface, but the observed effects didn't cover anything like 30% of the crust - more like an eighth from rough eyeballing. Moreover, unless the fleet launched tens of thousands of torpedoes and disruptor blasts at the planet, the weapons used would have to be vastly more powerful than any we've seen before or since to be able to do that much damage.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

30% was the statement from the Romulan officer and unless we have another statement to counter it, its all we have to draw from.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:30% was the statement from the Romulan officer
And if the Romulan had claimed that the D'Deridex resembled a pink elephant would you have believed her? The statement is contradicted by both the visuals of the attack and by all available weapons calculations.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Since there is no reason to disbelieve the statement or to disbelieve the effect of their weapons, added to by no one around her correcting her for any possible error and that the statement was meant as a direct response to her superior officer's instruction for information on the operation.

Yes, I believe that the canon statement should be treated as canon.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Since there is no reason to disbelieve the statement or to disbelieve the effect of their weapons
Yes there is - the direct contradiction of her statement by both the visuals of the attack and the evidence of all other calculations regarding the effects of AQ Great Power weapons,
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Yes there is - the direct contradiction of her statement by both the visuals of the attack
Really? Because the blasts and shockwaves on the ships view screen covered nearly the whole of the visable half of the planet. So what visuals counter this?
Captain Seafort wrote:and the evidence of all other calculations regarding the effects of AQ Great Power weapons,
So then where in this episode are they countered and where is your proof that the direct statements and visuals are wrong? And this time, please remember that your opinion or wiki are not superior to canon.