Way of the Warrior Question

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Way of the Warrior Question

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:Sisko was ordered not to interfere, instead he tipped off the Cardassians, then went and rescued the Detapa council using force. The Federation could quite reasonably claim that Sisko was acting on his own. It would give the Klingons an excuse not to interpret his actions as an act of war.
#1) I'm not sure the Klingons wanted such an excuse;

#2) Sisko's action aren't at question here. What is at question is that the Klingons' presence an exfil activities at DS9 could reasonably be interpreted not to be an act of war, while s2s combat couldn't so be handwaved away.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Captain Seafort wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:I am not sure sure Starfleet ships wouldn't do much of a difference. Especially the Galaxy class, they have often proven to be quite resilient in battle situation. Adding the fact that they were coming to the aid of a fortified position, they could have inflicted severe damage.

Ships attacking the station probably had their shields focused toward the station. Having an ennemy to come in and flank you at the wrong time would spell disaster to the entire attack force, wouldn't it?
Not really. The task force would probably have hurt them, but there's only so much anyone can do outnumbered 100-to-1. The real threat was the war with the UFP which would inevitably have followed the destruction of Starfleet vessels.
Yet this happened anyway, very shortly afterwards. They Klingons certainly weren't bashful about attacking Federation targets.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Yet this happened anyway, very shortly afterwards. They Klingons certainly weren't bashful about attacking Federation targets.
Not that shortly afterwards - there was a year between WotW and all out war. Given that decades of peace would have had lead to a significant deterioration of the Fed-Klingon border defences, that time was probably necessary to prepare the Empire for the war.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I suppose...but Klingons just don't strike me as tacticians of that magnitude.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:I suppose...but Klingons just don't strike me as tacticians of that magnitude.
The Klingons don't ned to be. A Klingon, or a few in the right positions, need to be. Given the nature of Klingon politics, one would think that those in power know how to maneuver a bit.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Kempek was a master politician seeing that he held the Empire together for so long even under the constant threat of civil war, as well as maintaining the alliance with the UFP and keeping peace with the RSE. Even then, no one would cross him until he was dead.

Gowron was clever enough to rewrite much of the Civil War to favor him. He also was smart enough to plan an invasion of the CU that went entirely unnoticed until they we're at DS9. Followed by rather strong handling of the DS9 conflict.

Duras managed to gain the support of nearly half the High Council and dozens of squadrons for the civil war. Along with gathering support from the RSE and hide his RSE support from those even receiving it.

Martok managed to stall the whole of the AQ-Dominion for several months even when it was just the KDF doing the work. He also rallied the Klingon Empire to unison which is something that hasn't happen since Kahless.

A lot of people look to under rate the Klingons because of their combat style. And, while its true that such a style doesn't work for humans or romulans. Its extremely effective for the Klingons both tactically and Culturally.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Indeed. Ealuating a specie's military shrewdness based solely on their grunts is a bit silly. Even for their Starship captain, they probably don't necessarily appoint the brightest specimens, but the most loyals (except for a few key postings).

I'd guess the brilliant minds are probably assigned with Generals or Politicians to be groomed. Since they have a cast system, the likely candidates coming from Noble Houses probably aren't that many.

The shrewdest non-noble Klingons most likely are directed at Military Intelligence.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Also recall that most of the Captains we see are from fodder ships in the KDF. No reason to post your best on a ship you're going to use to soak up enemy fire.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Deepcrush wrote:Also recall that most of the Captains we see are from fodder ships in the KDF. No reason to post your best on a ship you're going to use to soak up enemy fire.
Precisely. The cream of the crop is most probably either in D-7 equivalent tactical cruisers (equivalent in its role, not its strenght) for investigation/diplomacy/overlord command role, or commanders of tactical wings like the ones Kurn manager to sway over to his side.

THESE are the KDF Commanders who count, and who you have to be wary of. The rest are cannon fodders chosen based on their loyalty and combat prowess, not their shrewdness or smarts.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

D-7s were fodder by this point, the class you're thinking of is the Vor'Cha.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Deepcrush wrote:D-7s were fodder by this point, the class you're thinking of is the Vor'Cha.
I meant the equivalent of Kirk-era D-7. The flag-waiving ship, practically.