Post War Fed Shipbuilding

Deep Space Nine
Hacklehead
Crewman
Crewman

Re: Post War Fed Shipbuilding

Post by Hacklehead »

alexmann wrote:I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am just repeating what everyone else has said.

In my opinion, they would keep all of the ships that they already had until they could be replaced. I would imagine that they would continue building ships at the fastest rate possible, but would shift the focus away from combat ships. However, they would still have use for the combat ships to patrol borders, defend from pirates and to defend from any other threats such as the Borg or a return by the Dominion.

I can see 7 catagories that they would need to fill:

#Heavy Cruiser
#Combat Cruiser
#Medium Crusier
#Light Cruiser
#Destroyer
#Science Vessel
#Cargo Ship

Heavy Cruiser

For the heavy cruiser, it is between the Galaxy and the Sovereign. The Sovereign seems to be the most likely candidate because of the simple fact that it is three times more powerful than the Galaxy, and at roughly the same size. I would estimate only a handful of these ships, perhaps a couple of dozen, three dozen at most. The problem with this is that Galaxys already exist in far greater numbers than the Sovereigns. I would suggest they would keep the 14 existing Galaxy class ships along with the 3 Sovereigns and severely restrict production of these if not eliminate it until the other types are more built up.

Combat Cruiser

For this one, I would have it as a mix of Akira class ships, and Prometheus class ships. Graham has listed the Akira as a heavy cruiser although in my opinion it is too combat heavy and would be more suited to combat cruiser. I would suggest 30 of each with a low production rate.

Medium Cruiser

The most likely ship class for this type would be the Nebula. With a total of 93 ships remaining, this should be able to fill the position of Medium Cruiser, with a medium production to match. I would suggest a total of 125 ships be maintained.

Light Cruiser

For this ship, I belive that the most likely candidate would be the Intrepid class. This has a total of 35 remaining ships and would need a high production rate. I would suggest a total of 200 ships be maintained.

Destroyer

For this one, I think the most likely class would be the Defiant class. With a total remaining of 26, I would reccomend a medium production rate. I would suggest a total of 50 ships be maintained.

Science Vessel

This one is obvious, the Nova class. A small ship, you would want a large number of them. With a total remaining of 17, I would reccommend a high production rate. I would suggest a total of 275 ships be maintained.

Cargo Ship

Lastly, this goes to the New Orleans. Needed to transport large quantities of material, be it food, raw materials, medicine or fuel, these are needed to maintain the infrastructure of the Federation and to help construct all the others. With a total remaining of 98, I would reccomend a high production rate. I would suggest a total of 350 ships be maintained.

I also think that they would build more construction facilities to assist in the fleet's recovery.

Any questions?
A few thoughts:

As mentioned previously the Federation lost about 40-45% of their 8000+ ships. This means they lost approximately 3500 ships.

The UFP has managed (with considerable help) to keep the Dominion and Borg at bay for the time being. It can hardly have been said that these opponents have been utterly defeated just held off. One or both will be back in the future.

The UFP has considerable manufacturing resources at it disposal (many time what our own world has today).

The UFPs goals must be survival before exploration.

This is what I would recommend as for the initial phase of rebuilding SF:

Sovs - 24
Gal - 16
Nebulas - 150
Akira - 150
Prometheus - 100
Intrepid - 250
Defiant - 250

This would give SF a serious upgrade in fighting capability. After this SF can go to a more balanced Explorer/Combat construction program until it replaces the rest of its losses.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Yes but if you watched What you leave behind you would see that they still had large combat fleets. They would serve that purpose although I agree that some combat production will be needed.
ImageImage
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

stitch626 wrote:
alexmann wrote:...
It was the TR-116
Don't say that name!!!!!!

Oh sorry... you don't know the joke...
I have heard of it but i'm not exactly sure.

TR-116
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

alexmann wrote:Yes but if you watched What you leave behind you would see that they still had large combat fleets. They would serve that purpose although I agree that some combat production will be needed.
Something to remember is that the 40% figure I gave off is just a guess on my part with absolutely no proof to support it. It could be less than that or could be more than that.

Anyway, Starfleet has to consider what capabilities it has lost due to the war. Obviously it can defend itself at this mobilized state, but what about the other concerns like supply ships? Or starbases? Or exploration? And so forth.

With the amount of losses that Starfleet recieved, this will probably be the best time to reorganize Starfleet into something they learned. Perhaps more single purposed ships with multi-purposed ships somewhere in between. Sort of like a 1-1-1. Nova-Galaxy-Defiant sort of ratio. Not those ships specifically, for every science vessel there should be a combat ship.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

On the assumption that all ships were pressed into combat (we saw fleets containing Miranda class ships), is it reasonable to assume that the weaker ships would have been weeded out whilst the newer more powerful ships would have had a higher survival rate?

If so, perhaps it would be the science vessels that needed to be replenished first.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Probably but we never saw a Oberth or Nova class or equivilant in the fleet either. We have seen the Miranda do basically third class status sdtuff like ferrying and supply runs. So probably could be filled by any other older or even dedicated cheap ship.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'm coming very late to the debate so forgive me. I'm going to start by using visual evidence from the TV Series to evaluate certain classes and the areas in which ships were lost.

Okay, Dominion War has reached its conclusion and Starfleet has lost an enormous amount of ships. When you look at visual evidence from the TV series, DS9 Showed fairly hefty losses among the workhorse classes that appeared to run "inteference", such as the Sitak and the Majestic, that were knocked down in the Valley of Death scene. The Mirandas suffered heavily; as did the Excelsiors but they showed a phenomenal ability to go down fighting. In the first Battle of Chin'Toka, the Cardassian platforms knock a Miranda from the sky yet it remained firing till the last.

In both of these battles, the Defiant took an enormous amount of firepower compared to its compatriots. Obvious to say, but the Defiant warships were clearly a powerful and above all else resilient warship. The Galaxy class starship in Chin'toka 1st took a heavy pounding and continud to fire, despite one of the ODP's burning half of its engineering section off; whatever niggles the E-D suffered from, its clear that the later GCS was a bloody tough warship.

From First contact, we can see that the Steamrunner, Norway and Saber classes all seem reasonably tough ships, although not very powerful. The DITL information pages have all speculated on the design basis for each of these but ultimately we do not know what they were designed for. All we know is they weren't that big and took quite heavy losses to the Borg; apart from the Sabers.

The Sovereign shows every sign of being a more military designed warship; from having hidden weapons storage throughout the ship (NEM), The lack of Civilians, the highly increased pounding the Sovereign took at a vastly superior foe (The Ent-D facing the Cube compared to the Ent-E facing the Scimitar). I admit, a lot of this is circumstantial and you are free to believe otherwise, but I believe the Sovereign is a far more military orientated flagship for the Federation.

__

Priority number one is getting people and ships in space. Federation territory is vast, beyond that of any of the other spacefaring empires (So maps suggest anyway). The Federation borders are littered with powers that may well attempt to take advantage of weakness along the borders. This means the borders are the first priority and the more modern combat ships are going to be tied up keeping the borders secure; immediate priority is to then get all the useless flimflam in a remotely spaceworthy condition to ferry commodore-of-the-occasion to wherever they are going.

Starfleet needs to streamline its ridiculous construction practices, with all the various classes for same roles. In that light, I will go class by class and state where things should be constructed. Firstly, I think it is important to build a very small, reasonably fast "Cutter". It isn't a 100% priority at the very culmination of the war; this role could easily be filled by Miranda and Excelsior classes. But replacing the old ships should still be a priority. In this role, the Sabre shines through. It's very small, agile, reasonably strong (as shown by the number that survived the encounter with the FC Cube). Perfect little ship to keep an eye on edge systems.

In the role of destroyer, the Defiant is the obvious choice. In small "Wolfpacks", few ships could match such firepower. Attaching small groups of these ships to major starbases and colonies could potentially have a highly powerful battlegroup respond to border incursions before it ever requires a full sized battlegroup. I have it in my head they were intensive to maintain; no idea why, but I seem to have vague memories of them being...difficult to work effectively. In this light, these things would only be used for wartime or heavy combat situations/

The light cruiser is where it gets challenging. As far as I can see it, there is no ship that immediately fills this role but vessels that COULD do. In this situation I'd go for either the Intrepid or the Steamrunner. The Steamrunner purely because it fills the correct size there abouts but the Intrepid because its reasonably large, not to high in the crew stakes and powerful enough. Unless another ship is designed, the Intrepid is all that fills this role at the moment.

Heavy cruiser however is catered for with three ships; Nebula, Akira and Prometheus. I know the MVAM seems a complete and utter waste of time but a Prometheus with only standard weapons is still a potent warship, especially for its QT armament. I think all are useful in their way but I would be lead to vote for the Nebula simply because it has so much space to work with. The pods could allow individual warships to be fitted for different missions, despite having to travel home to pick up another pod. Weapons upgrades could simply be bolted into the pods; there's scope even to provide them with their own power systems. Endless possibilities. However, I could see the argument for all three.

As for the capital ships. This is where it gets tricky. The GCS and the Sovereign fulfil wildly different roles, even though they are often employed in a similar manner. I can see both being created for quite some time yet; imagine the CnC abilities a GCS could have if all the wide open space or science labs were converted to command centres. They are perfect flagships, even if they aren't quite as deadly. In this light, I can see the GCS serving as a fleet command ship while the more powerful Sovereigns serve as assault battlecruisers, although each would have somewhat interchangeable roles.

So in summary: Use outdated ships to throw something in space, replace combat losses with a much more focused construction strategy WITHOUT billions of classes for a single role.

Thoughts?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Reliant121 wrote:I'm coming very late to the debate so forgive me. I'm going to start by using visual evidence from the TV Series to evaluate certain classes and the areas in which ships were lost.

Okay, Dominion War has reached its conclusion and Starfleet has lost an enormous amount of ships. When you look at visual evidence from the TV series, DS9 Showed fairly hefty losses among the workhorse classes that appeared to run "inteference", such as the Sitak and the Majestic, that were knocked down in the Valley of Death scene. The Mirandas suffered heavily; as did the Excelsiors but they showed a phenomenal ability to go down fighting. In the first Battle of Chin'Toka, the Cardassian platforms knock a Miranda from the sky yet it remained firing till the last.
I agree. But if you subsitute a newer class ship of let's say the Sabre class, it may have been different. You do wonder what it took to keep these Miranda class ships within 24th century standards though.
In both of these battles, the Defiant took an enormous amount of firepower compared to its compatriots. Obvious to say, but the Defiant warships were clearly a powerful and above all else resilient warship. The Galaxy class starship in Chin'toka 1st took a heavy pounding and continud to fire, despite one of the ODP's burning half of its engineering section off; whatever niggles the E-D suffered from, its clear that the later GCS was a bloody tough warship.
Well I wouldn't say half. Mainly it burned huge holes into the hull. One of them is extremely close to the warp core if not directly hit. So it's pretty obvious that the GCS 's problems have been ironed out and can be an effective battleship for the fleet.

The Defiant is in a legaue of it's own really. The ship can punch through massive fleets, have a running battle with the Borg and take unshielded hits pretty easily. If every Defiant class ship is like that (save the Valiant which I think is a underpowered training vessel version IMO) than Starfleet should have a whole fleet of these ships. They don't require a large crew so the only thing that may prevent them from being in huge numbers is how difficult it is to make them. Something that could be fixed over time.
From First contact, we can see that the Steamrunner, Norway and Saber classes all seem reasonably tough ships, although not very powerful. The DITL information pages have all speculated on the design basis for each of these but ultimately we do not know what they were designed for. All we know is they weren't that big and took quite heavy losses to the Borg; apart from the Sabers.
I cannot really comment of these ships in that we it was that battle we only really see what they can potentially capable of. For all we know these can be fresh ships coming in late into the battle.
The Sovereign shows every sign of being a more military designed warship; from having hidden weapons storage throughout the ship (NEM), The lack of Civilians, the highly increased pounding the Sovereign took at a vastly superior foe (The Ent-D facing the Cube compared to the Ent-E facing the Scimitar). I admit, a lot of this is circumstantial and you are free to believe otherwise, but I believe the Sovereign is a far more military orientated flagship for the Federation.
There are some examples in real life such as the Sovereign and the Galaxy class ships, though not entirely comparable. The difference between a South Dakota class ship to the Iowa class ship to the Montana class ship. The Iowa being essentially a stetched out faster and better armed version of the Iowa class, whereas the Montana class is based on the old principles of armoring against it's own guns, but slower than the Iowa class. The British Lion (II) class is essentially a upgunned version of the KGV (II) class.
Priority number one is getting people and ships in space. Federation territory is vast, beyond that of any of the other spacefaring empires (So maps suggest anyway). The Federation borders are littered with powers that may well attempt to take advantage of weakness along the borders. This means the borders are the first priority and the more modern combat ships are going to be tied up keeping the borders secure; immediate priority is to then get all the useless flimflam in a remotely spaceworthy condition to ferry commodore-of-the-occasion to wherever they are going.
Essentially building enough ships to replace the ships that were lost. So that means medium to small ships and not the huge ships of the Galaxy, Sovereign and Nebula classes to be built in huge numbers. Which is why I said something along the lines of 1-1-1 ratio. One Nova class for every Defiant for every multipurposed ship.
Starfleet needs to streamline its ridiculous construction practices, with all the various classes for same roles. In that light, I will go class by class and state where things should be constructed. Firstly, I think it is important to build a very small, reasonably fast "Cutter". It isn't a 100% priority at the very culmination of the war; this role could easily be filled by Miranda and Excelsior classes. But replacing the old ships should still be a priority. In this role, the Sabre shines through. It's very small, agile, reasonably strong (as shown by the number that survived the encounter with the FC Cube). Perfect little ship to keep an eye on edge systems.
I agree as well. I think it's time for Starfleet to build one class for one role with small incremental changes in the design. I mean there are so many various classes within the same the size range and presumably role that it is rediculous.

However, my theory is that Starfleet allows shipyards in other systems some leeway in building their own version of a frigate. Some shipyards are perhaps not quite up to date so they have to build essentially updated older designs which perhaps may explain why there are so many Mirandas, Excelsiors and Oberths in the 24th century. The British for example allowed private shipyards to turn out almost entirely different ships (mainly destroyers and small cruisers) because of competition to see which one is better and than expand upon that. Perhaps Starfleet does the same.
In the role of destroyer, the Defiant is the obvious choice. In small "Wolfpacks", few ships could match such firepower. Attaching small groups of these ships to major starbases and colonies could potentially have a highly powerful battlegroup respond to border incursions before it ever requires a full sized battlegroup. I have it in my head they were intensive to maintain; no idea why, but I seem to have vague memories of them being...difficult to work effectively. In this light, these things would only be used for wartime or heavy combat situations/
I have the same idea. In Message in a Bottle, we did see some form of hunter killer group with two Defiants and a Akira class ship. That does seem to be a nice grouping if you ask me.
The light cruiser is where it gets challenging. As far as I can see it, there is no ship that immediately fills this role but vessels that COULD do. In this situation I'd go for either the Intrepid or the Steamrunner. The Steamrunner purely because it fills the correct size there abouts but the Intrepid because its reasonably large, not to high in the crew stakes and powerful enough. Unless another ship is designed, the Intrepid is all that fills this role at the moment.
Depends on how you view light cruiser. A WW2 light cruiser is essentially a 6" gunned version of a heavy cruiser. But if you are talking about a WW1 light cruiser, then it's something anywhere between a scout and a battlecruiser. Usually they are teamed up with destroyers and have accordingly high speed. In this respect you could assume the intrepid class fits this role.
Heavy cruiser however is catered for with three ships; Nebula, Akira and Prometheus. I know the MVAM seems a complete and utter waste of time but a Prometheus with only standard weapons is still a potent warship, especially for its QT armament. I think all are useful in their way but I would be lead to vote for the Nebula simply because it has so much space to work with. The pods could allow individual warships to be fitted for different missions, despite having to travel home to pick up another pod. Weapons upgrades could simply be bolted into the pods; there's scope even to provide them with their own power systems. Endless possibilities. However, I could see the argument for all three.
Maybe not for a Nebula class or Prometheus class because the Nebula class is roughly equal to a Galaxy class but far more versatile. The Prometheus seems be a battleship or a battlecruiser. Akira class does fit in nicely within this role. I am assuming the heavy cruiser being a junior capital ship like the armored cruisers.
As for the capital ships. This is where it gets tricky. The GCS and the Sovereign fulfil wildly different roles, even though they are often employed in a similar manner. I can see both being created for quite some time yet; imagine the CnC abilities a GCS could have if all the wide open space or science labs were converted to command centres. They are perfect flagships, even if they aren't quite as deadly. In this light, I can see the GCS serving as a fleet command ship while the more powerful Sovereigns serve as assault battlecruisers, although each would have somewhat interchangeable roles.

So in summary: Use outdated ships to throw something in space, replace combat losses with a much more focused construction strategy WITHOUT billions of classes for a single role.

Thoughts?
Navies throughout the world, their capital ships were never of one class. So I can see having the Galaxy class, Nebula class and the Sovereign class doing the same thing with perhaps the Sovereign class doing more combat orientated missions as opposed to the Nebula and Galaxy classes doing what they are good at: long ranged, missions.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

McAvoy wrote:I agree. But if you subsitute a newer class ship of let's say the Sabre class, it may have been different. You do wonder what it took to keep these Miranda class ships within 24th century standards though.
I think it simply shows the balance of which was struck with the Miranda; it's clearly a ship that has weathered near a century in terms of degradation, much like its younger and brighter Excelsior cousin. They are solid enough, its simply weapons that make them vulnerable. I personally don't think it took an enormous amount to keep the 23rd century ships in space; they wouldn't be there if it was resource intensive. Rather, they appear to be tough when it comes to the rigours of space but rather fragile when faced with anything more modern.
Well I wouldn't say half. Mainly it burned huge holes into the hull. One of them is extremely close to the warp core if not directly hit. So it's pretty obvious that the GCS 's problems have been ironed out and can be an effective battleship for the fleet.
An argument of semantics; point remains that the GCS of the Dominion War was a veritable leviathan and hard to kill.
the Defiant is in a legaue of it's own really. The ship can punch through massive fleets, have a running battle with the Borg and take unshielded hits pretty easily. If every Defiant class ship is like that (save the Valiant which I think is a underpowered training vessel version IMO) than Starfleet should have a whole fleet of these ships. They don't require a large crew so the only thing that may prevent them from being in huge numbers is how difficult it is to make them. Something that could be fixed over time.
That and the general Federation animosity to warships and combat.
I cannot really comment of these ships in that we it was that battle we only really see what they can potentially capable of. For all we know these can be fresh ships coming in late into the battle.
Fair enough; you're right.
There are some examples in real life such as the Sovereign and the Galaxy class ships, though not entirely comparable. The difference between a South Dakota class ship to the Iowa class ship to the Montana class ship. The Iowa being essentially a stetched out faster and better armed version of the Iowa class, whereas the Montana class is based on the old principles of armoring against it's own guns, but slower than the Iowa class. The British Lion (II) class is essentially a upgunned version of the KGV (II) class.
I would not be so hasty to compare the Sovereign and Galaxy classes to 20th century battleships; for starters, battleships fill a fairly narrow mission parameter (IE, killing things of equivalent size and power or bombarding a coastline into dust). The Galaxy class appears to me difficult vessel to pin down; she operates rather alone for much of her career, carrying the flag of the Federation as well as a potent arsenal of weapons making a sort of "lone wolf battleship".

Essentially building enough ships to replace the ships that were lost. So that means medium to small ships and not the huge ships of the Galaxy, Sovereign and Nebula classes to be built in huge numbers. Which is why I said something along the lines of 1-1-1 ratio. One Nova class for every Defiant for every multipurposed ship.
Precisely. There must be a heavy focus on the construction of smaller warships instead of concentrating on the big guns. Starfleet more than likely has many surviving large warships but it appeared the frigate to light/medium cruiser level suffered heavily at the hands of the Dominion. They must be replaced with Sabre, Defiant and Intrepid class warships to modernize the fleet, activating one new ship and then subsequently deactivating one of the bucket-of-bolts 23rd century ships to go with it.
I agree as well. I think it's time for Starfleet to build one class for one role with small incremental changes in the design. I mean there are so many various classes within the same the size range and presumably role that it is rediculous.

However, my theory is that Starfleet allows shipyards in other systems some leeway in building their own version of a frigate. Some shipyards are perhaps not quite up to date so they have to build essentially updated older designs which perhaps may explain why there are so many Mirandas, Excelsiors and Oberths in the 24th century. The British for example allowed private shipyards to turn out almost entirely different ships (mainly destroyers and small cruisers) because of competition to see which one is better and than expand upon that. Perhaps Starfleet does the same.
I can see what you are saying. I tend to think that Starfleet built a number of designs to experiment with different layouts, much like British Rail experimented with several different classes of diesel locomotive for the same role to see which worked best. This would explain why we see Norway and Steamrunner size ships being constructed, why Constellation and Miranda classes are constructed; they fulfil similar roles but are created to test the designs.
I have the same idea. In Message in a Bottle, we did see some form of hunter killer group with two Defiants and a Akira class ship. That does seem to be a nice grouping if you ask me.
Its a perfect grouping; fast and powerful attack ships backed up by a command vessel with a very potent torpedo armament; imagine if the Akira was updated to QTL eventually. That would be impressive.

Depends on how you view light cruiser. A WW2 light cruiser is essentially a 6" gunned version of a heavy cruiser. But if you are talking about a WW1 light cruiser, then it's something anywhere between a scout and a battlecruiser. Usually they are teamed up with destroyers and have accordingly high speed. In this respect you could assume the intrepid class fits this role.
I tend to think of Light cruisers being of a slightly smaller size than heavy cruisers, with marginally lesser armament but with a much higher endurance. VOY shows us that the Intrepid class has a fairly good endurance given her size (despite how unbelievable it seems to be) and she is potent enough, without stepping on the toes of Akira and other larger classes. Perfect.

Maybe not for a Nebula class or Prometheus class because the Nebula class is roughly equal to a Galaxy class but far more versatile. The Prometheus seems be a battleship or a battlecruiser. Akira class does fit in nicely within this role. I am assuming the heavy cruiser being a junior capital ship like the armored cruisers.

Hmmm. I suppose when you look at it the Nebula really isn't that far off the battleship size range or firepower level. Somehow she always seemed the heavy cruiser to the Galaxy battleship.
Navies throughout the world, their capital ships were never of one class. So I can see having the Galaxy class, Nebula class and the Sovereign class doing the same thing with perhaps the Sovereign class doing more combat orientated missions as opposed to the Nebula and Galaxy classes doing what they are good at: long ranged, missions.
Perhaps you are right. I would personally say the Nebula is far more of a "home bird" battleship, designed for maintaining fleet presence at home; meanwhile, Sovereign classes would patrol borders and the Galaxy class would do as it has always done.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Reliant121 wrote:
Its a perfect grouping; fast and powerful attack ships backed up by a command vessel with a very potent torpedo armament; imagine if the Akira was updated to QTL eventually. That would be impressive.
What about transphasics? Come here little borg queen, I've got a surprise for you!
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:
What about transphasics? Come here little borg queen, I've got a surprise for you!
I assume that there's some sort of problem with fielding transphasic torpedoes, judging by the fact that we never saw them in issue even after Voyager got home.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I assume that there's some sort of problem with fielding transphasic torpedoes, judging by the fact that we never saw them in issue even after Voyager got home.
Or they're specifically anti-Borg weapons and are ineffective against other species' technology.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Mikey wrote:I assume that there's some sort of problem with fielding transphasic torpedoes, judging by the fact that we never saw them in issue even after Voyager got home.
What, in Nemesis? They could just have taken a long time to analyse them.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

alexmann wrote:
What, in Nemesis? They could just have taken a long time to analyse them.
Doubtful. Voyager was able to build them and the batarmor in a relatively short amount of time. A lone ship with limited resources (rather unlimited resources :P but we will ignore that) was able to create them with information that Admiral Janeway brought with her.

Starfleet has vast resources. Simply put, Starfleet could have just copied the technology and put it on their ships and then later worry about how it all works. Which they didn't.

So either:

1. Starfleet is still in the middle of the rebuilding program since it's only four years after the Dominion War. Seems unlikely since Voyager did it on their own.

2. Some sort of new treaty that bans them once the other powers found out that the Federation took a huge leap in armor and weapons technology. This makes some sense since this would practically change the whole political situation with the other powers. Klingons could have threatened to remove themselves from the alliance etc.

3. Starfleet is still analysing it to fully 100% understand how it works to make sure there are no flaws or drawback to it.

4. Or there are drawbacks that we do not know about.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I could see treaty/political issues. The Son'a used weapons that were banned... so these could have been going through political debate as well.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...