Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Link here.

Ah, poor Alexander... sorta.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: SF Debris: Sons and Daughters

Post by Tyyr »

I think they overplayed just how inept he is. They took him from just not that good right into hilariously horrible. He went from sympathetic and even a bit relateable to just a goober. Would have helped the episode out quite a bit if he wasn't so awful it made you question Klingon training methods.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I agree. Alexander went from an interesting conundrum for a Klingon dad to a complete caricature, and that transformation turned a plot point into a groan-inducing dead horse.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Getting locked in the storage closet was the proverbial straw, there. That's just sad.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

What they could have had for Alexander is where he studied Earth military culture instead of Klingon. So he doesn't know how to use a Bat'leth, but he knows boxing and how to use a knife (letting him fight in the mess hall, even if he doesn't win). It would be better if he fought and won, thought not in an honorable way (Earth records of old street fighting).

The other idea would have been if he partnered with Starfleet engineering, and learned damage control and repair from them. So during the battle, he goes into a part of the ship that has poisonous atmosphere, to repair something. When he comes out afterwards, they tell him he nearly died in there. Alexander's response would have been, "I can hold my breath for eight minutes. It took me thirty seconds to enter the airlock and reach the site, one minute to remove the cover, four minutes to perform the repair, one minute to put the cover back, and thirty seconds to return to the airlock. I had a minute to spare."

Have his repair turn the tide of battle, and when they pull him out the other Klingons jerk their heads back due to the poisonous atmosphere on his clothes. Alexander sheds as much of his clothes as necessary, punches up ventilation, and breathes fresh air that way.

Have him still fall for the simulation running, and reveal that it was a prank pulled by the prior operator that Alexander fell for because he does not know everything about Klingon consoles yet.

You could even have a Klingon female watch him fight in the mess hall, then during the battle she tells him that they have to deal without the section (that is flooded with poisonous gas). She explains it as "We are Klingons, we do not waste warriors on a fool's errand". Alexander then tells her to watch the console, and when the system is ready, to activate it. He then goes in because, as everyone has been saying, "I am no warrior." He solves the problem, comes back out, and gives his speech.

Maybe Worf chews him out later, but Alexander reminds him of what he learned on the Enterprise, from Riker, where "the ship comes first". What would be cute is if the female Klingon visits him afterwards :wink:

At the end, you have the warrior ceremony, where Alexander is welcomed in as a warrior of the House of Martok. He is accepted as his own warrior, not just because Worf is his father.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Okay, two things.

1. Coalition, excellent idea on how to use Alexander there.

2. I now have the mental image of a Klingon clinking bottles together while going, "Warriors, come out to pla-yayay! WARRIORS, come out to PLAYAYYAYAY!" :happydevil:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

:laughroll:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Coal, you started off good but just over killed it by the end. Still a fuck ton better then what they did to this character. I like the idea of Alexander acting more like a Starfleet engineer then a Klingon warrior. Could have been fresh ground to show the slow blending of cultures.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

yeah. An engineer like his adoptive grandfather, honoring that side of his family.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:Coal, you started off good but just over killed it by the end. Still a fuck ton better then what they did to this character. I like the idea of Alexander acting more like a Starfleet engineer then a Klingon warrior. Could have been fresh ground to show the slow blending of cultures.
I figured it would add a bit of humor with the Klingon female. At first Alexander says he learned "the ship comes first" from Commander Riker. After he goes over and kisses the Klingon woman, someone could remark "I see Commander Riker taught you other stuff too".
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)