Moral debate

Deep Space Nine
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Moral debate

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd morally be...iffy about it but do the "pragmatist thing" and push my nagging moral centre into a box somewhere while I got the job done. One Romulan senator, a few particularly unpleasant looking guards and my conscience are a small price to pay for an incalculable number of sentient throughout 2 quadrants.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote:I'd morally be...iffy about it but do the "pragmatist thing" and push my nagging moral centre into a box somewhere while I got the job done. One Romulan senator, a few particularly unpleasant looking guards and my conscience are a small price to pay for an incalculable number of sentient throughout 2 quadrants.
"Garek was right about one thing..." ;)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:We don't know about the military might of the other neutral powers like the Tholians or the Gorn
Given that their nonagression pacts with the Dominion were treated with concern rather than shrugs or total panic, they (and the Breen for that matter) were probably close to the relative strength of the UK and France today.
Without them, I think the Feds and the Klingons would have lost the war.
Not just "would have lost" but "were loosing". Remember the casualty lists Sisko was going through, and the fall of Betazed in ITPM.
I agree that the Tholians and Gorn are nowhere compared to the Feds or the Klingons, but combine the two it would certainly help. It would at least force the Dominion to devote some of their attention away from the main lines.

I am not disagreeing with you, but losing a single member planet out of 150 isn't all that bad. It's also war so you are bound to have huge casualty lists. I mean it would be like if the Germans and British were fighting an all out Battle of Jutland every day. Or looking at the casualty lists from the trenches in WW1.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:We don't know about the military might of the other neutral powers like the Tholians or the Gorn
Given that their nonagression pacts with the Dominion were treated with concern rather than shrugs or total panic, they (and the Breen for that matter) were probably close to the relative strength of the UK and France today.
Without them, I think the Feds and the Klingons would have lost the war.
Not just "would have lost" but "were loosing". Remember the casualty lists Sisko was going through, and the fall of Betazed in ITPM.
I agree that the Tholians and Gorn are nowhere compared to the Feds or the Klingons, but combine the two it would certainly help. It would at least force the Dominion to devote some of their attention away from the main lines.

I am not disagreeing with you, but losing a single member planet out of 150 isn't all that bad. It's also war so you are bound to have huge casualty lists. I mean it would be like if the Germans and British were fighting an all out Battle of Jutland every day. Or looking at the casualty lists from the trenches in WW1.
I don't think Betazed was the only member planet to fall. Certainly planets and other outposts were being destroyed left and right (hopefully by both sides) during the bits of the war we didn't see in DS9. The impact of Betazed seemed to be that it was a major member planet close to the core, and from there they had access to the other Federation core worlds.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

To my Knowledge Betazed was the biggest and most important of the Federation member worlds to fall, maybe not the same as the UK or France falling, maybe more like Spain.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

McAvoy wrote:They needed the Romulans. We don't know about the military might of the other neutral powers like the Tholians or the Gorn, bu we do know the Romulans are a superpower comparable to the Federation themselves.
The other reason they would need the Romulans, is the Dominion was using Romulan territory to strike at Federation systems. So you have the regular amount of Federation ships on the Romulan border, plus extra ships needed to deal with Dominion raiders.

Now the Romulans join the war on your side. You no longer have to post ships to deal with Dominion raiders, freeing them up. You can reduce your strength against the Romulans, as their forces are nominally allied to you and are diverting to the Cardassian border for offensive strikes. You gain the Romulans' support, and the Dominion has to divert ships to protect against Romulan cloaked strikes.

The death of one senator produced major changes on the nature of the Dominion War.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Coalition wrote:The death of one senator produced major changes on the nature of the Dominion War.
Vreenak was a smug prick anyways. It's not like some really nice person was killed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Coalition wrote:The death of one senator produced major changes on the nature of the Dominion War.
Vreenak was a smug prick anyways. It's not like some really nice person was killed.
Right, because that's how morality should be defined. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Just as well it isn't or the casualty rate among us lot would be astronomical.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mikey wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:
Right, because that's how morality should be defined. :P
Does make you feel SLIGHTLY better bout killing him though.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Mkaes you feel a lot better about doing it, but that doesnt change morality unfortunatly.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Morality is the right of the civilians who damn you after you've done your job. Not the soldier's who defend it and enforce it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd be quite happy to worry about the morality and hang my head high in shame about it...

AFTER the war has been won.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed. I don't think there's any debate over the fact of assassinating someone being wrong; the question is how that compares to letting how many more die by NOT doing performing the assassination.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:Indeed. I don't think there's any debate over the fact of assassinating someone being wrong; the question is how that compares to letting how many more die by NOT doing performing the assassination.
And in the end, Sisko understood that.