Is DS9 a bad design?

Deep Space Nine
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Is DS9 a bad design?

Post by McAvoy »

So when the UFP took control over the station what did they do with it? We know that they were talking about it I think in season 2 or 3 about reactivating the processing center, but we never heard of it again. I think it was probably reconfigured during the arming of DS9. It would explain those rotating turrets in pylons. That's if of course it wasn't part of the original design.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Do you mean the pop-out torpedo launchers? Those were part of O'Brien's upgrade/weaponization program.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

The station kicked ass after those upgrades
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Oh ok.

I suppose the speace normally used for the ore processing was used for the weapons outfit.

Another thing though, how deep did those runabout pads go? The inner ring is the habitat ring right? It seemed that the whole runabout pad took up almost the whole space in that area.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

McAvoy wrote:Another thing though, how deep did those runabout pads go? The inner ring is the habitat ring right? It seemed that the whole runabout pad took up almost the whole space in that area.
Couple of caps from In the Pale Moonlight.

I'd say about 4 times the height of a Runabout?

"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

But it does seem the whole bay including the lift takes up the whole space for that section. Though that lift is a neat bit of engineering on the part of the designers though (series I mean).
Noahhaz
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Noahhaz »

Good thoughts.
I concede that DS9 was originally a Cardassian ore mining facility during the Bajoran occupation therefore the use of the docking pylons was to allow large freighters to dock.
In the original post shield capacity was mentioned, may I remind you that DS9 uses federation close net shield fields as well as the complex Cardassian shield generators. Thus the size of the station makes no difference to the overall shield effectiveness.
I can not see DS9 being replaced in the near future as the federation does not have the capacity after the Borg war. The idea that DS9 would be handed over to the Bajorans is irrelevant as the Bajoran militia was dissolved into starfleet when Bajor joined the, federation. As of now DS9 provides an adequate defence for Bajor and the gamma quadrant wormhole along with the assigned defiant class, starship U.S.S defiant formerly sao Paulo. Any decision to replace DS9 would have to be approved by the federation council as well as starfleet.. Although the station is antiquated it provides,a, federation outpost that is so very important.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Noahhaz wrote:In the original post shield capacity was mentioned, may I remind you that DS9 uses federation close net shield fields as well as the complex Cardassian shield generators. Thus the size of the station makes no difference to the overall shield effectiveness.
The total surface area will certainly affect shield performance - just as the same weight of armour spread over a greater area will be thinner.

In future Noah, could you please avoid posting in threads as old as this one - while its contents will be fresh in your memory, for everyone else it's old news, and it would therefore be better to start a new thread, linking to and quoting the one that sparked the idea if necessary.

Having got that out of the way, welcome to DITL. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Also, I thought Bajor forestalled on joining the UFP for the nonce?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer