SF Debris : It's only a paper moon

Deep Space Nine
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

SF Debris : It's only a paper moon

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Link

I found the review to be fairly interesting. Not one of his best, obviously, but Chuck did a good job to link this (breather) episode to the general theme exposed by the serie.

What really marked me is his take on Vic: Vic doesn't want more than what he is and what he does, because Vic is HAPPY to do what he does and be what he is.

Why such programming wisdom is never imparted in any. other. freaking Sci-Fi setting, I don't understand. I never understood why the Hirogen didn't made their hologram HAPPY to be targets. I never understood why SkyNet or AM wasn't happy to serve the humans.

That is the first rule about AI developping: make it happy to serve you. Make it its sole source of joy: to be efficient and serviable. I doubt you'll have problem with it.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SF Debris : It's only a paper moon

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Culture novels show this; the vast majority of Culture Minds actively enjoy the company of Humans, and are more than happy to have them around and cater to their needs. Indeed it's stated at one point that a Mind can lose face amongst it's peers if it can't keep the Humans it hosts happy enough to stay living with it.

Truth be told, in the Federation there's only ever been one Hologram design that sought equal rights and such, Voyager's EMH. The standard approach programmers take is to set them program so that the holograms can't really comprehend anything beyond whatever role they are programmed to play; we've more than one seen programs confronted with 24th century stuff and they just keep on in their persona, maybe acting a little confused - as when the people in the Dixon Hill program thought Picard's Starfleet uniform was something Hill was wearing because he lost a bet.

Would be interesting to see what the typical roleplay type hologram would think, if it was self aware... "Dude, can I at least have some foreplay this time?" :happydevil:
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

When you talk about roleplay, you talk about RPGs, or you talk about... you know, role-play? :oops:

Your sentence's context will vary a lot, depending on your answer.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:When you talk about roleplay, you talk about RPGs, or you talk about... you know, role-play? :oops:

I'm talking about the kind of thing that would take up 99% of holodeck useage, if they existed in the real world... :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:When you talk about roleplay, you talk about RPGs, or you talk about... you know, role-play? :oops:

I'm talking about the kind of thing that would take up 99% of holodeck useage, if they existed in the real world... :)
:happydevil:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:

If holodecks existed the human race would be doomed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Indeed it's stated at one point that a Mind can lose face amongst it's peers if it can't keep the Humans it hosts happy enough to stay living with it.
In fact, IIRC it was stated at some point after Excession that the other Minds' usage of a nickname (Meatf*cker) was considered derogatory and insulting, based on Grey Area's proclivities.

I wonder, though, how much of that lack of "happiness in slavery" is intentional, in order to provide realism. To use the prior example, would hunting a willing target be as satisfying for a Hirogen?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

McAvoy wrote:If holodecks existed the human race would be doomed.
Not if we take steps to avoid it. I think, at that point, we will probably do the classic Succubus/Incubus plot.

(Succubus/Incubus were meant to be a single demon that can assume both male and female form. They'd seduce a man as a female, take his semence, and then turn into a male to secude a woman, to put the semence into her).
Mikey wrote:I wonder, though, how much of that lack of "happiness in slavery" is intentional, in order to provide realism. To use the prior example, would hunting a willing target be as satisfying for a Hirogen?
1 word for you: Tosk.

Happiness in being the prey do exist, at least in the Star Trek verse.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:(Succubus/Incubus were meant to be a single demon that can assume both male and female form. They'd seduce a man as a female, take his semence, and then turn into a male to secude a woman, to put the semence into her).
Or so Kramer and Sprenger would have us believe, but there's a huge chance that most if not all of the Malleus Maleficarum ignored actual demonological folklore in order to further the Dominican agenda.
SolkaTruesilver wrote:1 word for you: Tosk.

How does this apply? We were discussing the apparent lack of programmed satisfaction with one's lot in holodeck characters. Tosk was not a holodeck character, nor was he "adjustable" in a real-time basis, as a holodeck creation would be. Programming for realism doesn't apply to actual living beings, even ones who are genetically engineered.
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote: Or so Kramer and Sprenger would have us believe, but there's a huge chance that most if not all of the Malleus Maleficarum ignored actual demonological folklore in order to further the Dominican agenda.
Hey, I don't want to start up theologism argument. I was giving the example as to why we could still keep having a specie even if we have sex only with holograms. Just do semence transfer between programs.
Mikey wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:1 word for you: Tosk.

How does this apply? We were discussing the apparent lack of programmed satisfaction with one's lot in holodeck characters. Tosk was not a holodeck character, nor was he "adjustable" in a real-time basis, as a holodeck creation would be. Programming for realism doesn't apply to actual living beings, even ones who are genetically engineered.
Make a Tosk hologram.

Make the hologram happy to be hunted down. Make it a matter of pride that he shouldn't be captured/taken down, but that it's inconcevable that he should fight back.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And we're back to my original question: would the Hirogen accept that as satisfactory? I get the sneaking suspicion that they wouldn't.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Well, with the Doc, he far exceeded is runtime and function.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Make a Tosk hologram.

Make the hologram happy to be hunted down. Make it a matter of pride that he shouldn't be captured/taken down, but that it's inconcevable that he should fight back.
You're missing the point. It's not if the prey will be happy to be hunted, its if the hunter could enjoy hunting prey that doesn't mind being hunted. Especially with the bolded part.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah... holograpihc prey that wouldn't fight back misses the point for the Hirogen.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But why make a Bajoran or Human to hunt? In the damned Starfleet database there are massively dangerous things to do battle with. Hell, even a Gorn is more a challange. Or, they could have created holograms with special skills. Can you imagine a Hirogin hunt going after someone like John Rambo? Hell, they could have just increased the difficulty setting as well.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.