SF Debris : It's only a paper moon

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SF Debris : It's only a paper moon

Post by Mikey »

That's fine, but Solka's idea was to create an AI prey that likes to be hunted, or at least doesn't mind. That's like hunting a deer that throws itself in front of your shotgun... not much hunting involved at all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And it'd get very boring very quickly for the Hirogen. ;)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I think more what he was saying was one that thrived on escaping, so that the Hirogen wouldn't have revolts because they would only want to run away, if they get caught they get deleted, if they don't they feel rewarded.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nickswitz wrote:I think more what he was saying was one that thrived on escaping, so that the Hirogen wouldn't have revolts because they would only want to run away, if they get caught they get deleted, if they don't they feel rewarded.
That would make a bit more sense, but that's not what's at issue. He said specifically a creation that enjoys being hunted. EOS.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

"Please kill me!"

"... Okay, this sin't even fun anymore. Do we get drunk? I don't care. I'm gonna go find a bar. Or build one to get drunk in."
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Actually, i meant a hologram which indeed thrive on escaping, but would see killing it's owner/hunter as "unfair"

they get pride in the time they can manage to escape. They get recreated at their death and retain their experiences to become better. Hell, they could create thir own subculture with their leader bein the most successful, etc...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The one with the renegade holograms stated that the Hirogen specifically designed the holograms to feel heightened levels of fear and pain during the hunt precisely because that was more fun for the Hirogen. They don't want willing prey.

Re holodecks, if and when we invent them, the big problem will be that people will have to keep paying the bills. We won't be able to just disappear into the fantasy, however much we want to, because sooner or later the power will go out.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well even in the federation they had holodeck addiction.

I would assume that the holodeck addiction would be worse than 'gamer addiction.' Some of these gamers have issues with society because of their addiction to video games. These poeple would only venture outside their homes to work.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Actually, i meant a hologram which indeed thrive on escaping, but would see killing it's owner/hunter as "unfair"

they get pride in the time they can manage to escape. They get recreated at their death and retain their experiences to become better. Hell, they could create thir own subculture with their leader bein the most successful, etc...
Fair enough. We might have saved some time and trouble, though, if you had actually said something resembling what you meant.
McAvoy wrote:Well even in the federation they had holodeck addiction.

I would assume that the holodeck addiction would be worse than 'gamer addiction.' Some of these gamers have issues with society because of their addiction to video games. These poeple would only venture outside their homes to work.
I'm not sure it would be worse so much as perhaps a bit harder to kick. I think it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, though, to say whether the social issues are due to the addiction, or the addiction is driven by social issues.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Neither.

There is an initial personal issue which initially leads one to the addiction, be it booze, drugs, video games, gambling, food, sex, or whatever. That is what kickstarts things. Its from THERE that the endless circle starts.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think we've already seen how our culture would respond to holodecks, MMOs. Think about it. There are people who go to work, do their jobs, just so when they get home they can log into WoW or their MMO of choice and spend the next eight to ten hours being someone else. How would that be different from a holodeck aside from maybe being better healthwise since most of the things we'd use the holodeck for would be vigorous physical exercise as opposed to sitting in a chair.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I think we've already seen how our culture would respond to holodecks, MMOs. Think about it. There are people who go to work, do their jobs, just so when they get home they can log into WoW or their MMO of choice and spend the next eight to ten hours being someone else. How would that be different from a holodeck aside from maybe being better healthwise since most of the things we'd use the holodeck for would be vigorous physical exercise as opposed to sitting in a chair.
Good point... and moreover, it's an illustration of how holodecks wouldn't be the herald of the apocalypse like some people seem to think. There are huge numbers of people - the vast majority, in fact - who can play a MMORPG (or, by extension, use a holodeck) recreatively and completely under control, without allowing it to completely overwhelm their lives.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Can you just imagine what an MMORPG in a holodeck environment would cost monthly???
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Depends if you own your own holodeck.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Tyyr wrote:Depends if you own your own holodeck.
Still gotta do maintenance on it, power supplies, extra mass for items inside, etc. Those cost resources and time to do.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)