Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Oberth Class Starship

Post by McAvoy »

Always wondered why you would send a Oberth to fight the Borg. I mean they are practically one shot one kill. Not like they would draw enough of the Borg's attention that it would matter. Highly doubt the Borg would bother with the ship if it stayed out of weapons range too if it was just a scout.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:Always wondered why you would send a Oberth to fight the Borg. I mean they are practically one shot one kill. Not like they would draw enough of the Borg's attention that it would matter. Highly doubt the Borg would bother with the ship if it stayed out of weapons range too if it was just a scout.
It could have been used as a kamikaze starship, and exploded nicely on the side of a Borg cube.

But I love ships that aren't warships.
Stan - South Park
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

McAvoy wrote:Always wondered why you would send a Oberth to fight the Borg. I mean they are practically one shot one kill. Not like they would draw enough of the Borg's attention that it would matter. Highly doubt the Borg would bother with the ship if it stayed out of weapons range too if it was just a scout.
this can also be extended to the various miranda and similar present

everything other than galaxy, ambassador, nebula and excelsior class should not represent a real threat for the Borg (and even these in the end, given how it ended)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote:
this can also be extended to the various miranda and similar present

everything other than galaxy, ambassador, nebula and excelsior class should not represent a real threat for the Borg (and even these in the end, given how it ended)
Even a Miranda would have a better chance with the Borg. Even though it was 80 years old or more by Wolf 359 at least they were designed with combat in mind. Not like the Oberth class where you'd be hard pressed to figure out where the weapons are located if they even have weapons.

Yeah at best they are a kamikaze ship. Which brings up a point about that. I think obviously sublight ramming may not work due to the power of the tractor beams, but using warp drive outside the weapons range would work.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Is the Oberth Class proof that God does not exist?
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

When it came to fighting the Borg I think they literally threw everything at it, if they weren’t stopped everything was lost.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.