"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Nebula Class Retrospective

Post by DarkMoineau »

I always liked Nebula Class.

I think they showed too much TMP ship and not enough TNG ships during the 90's.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DarkMoineau wrote:I always liked Nebula Class.

If they had shown a Nebula in every shot where we got an Excelsior or Miranda, I'd have been a very happy man.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or the Ambassador class. Or really any TNG Era ship. Only if TNG had the budget to create more models like they wanted to
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

McAvoy wrote:Or the Ambassador class. Or really any TNG Era ship. Only if TNG had the budget to create more models like they wanted to
I always really liked the nebula class, it seemed much more sensible than the galaxy for several reasons.
I would also have liked to see some ambassador class ships, perhaps during the dominion war.
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Or the Ambassador class. Or really any TNG Era ship. Only if TNG had the budget to create more models like they wanted to
I always really liked the nebula class, it seemed much more sensible than the galaxy for several reasons.
I would also have liked to see some ambassador class ships, perhaps during the dominion war.
Well not having Ambasssador could be explained as too old... but we had Excelsior and Miranda so indeed it would have been nice to see it.
Graham Kennedy wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:I always liked Nebula Class.

If they had shown a Nebula in every shot where we got an Excelsior or Miranda, I'd have been a very happy man.
Every Trekkies/Trekkers would have been happy Trekkies/Trekkers with a Nebula instead of Excelsior and New Orleans or another class instead of Miranda.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:
Well not having Ambasssador could be explained as too old... but we had Excelsior and Miranda so indeed it would have been nice to see it.
yeah, the Ambassador was the starfleet flagship only 20 years ago, it should still be a solid spaceframe during the dominion war, a match (or more than a match) for most of cardassian and dominion designs (up to the battlecruiser at least)

Every Trekkies/Trekkers would have been happy Trekkies/Trekkers with a Nebula instead of Excelsior and New Orleans or another class instead of Miranda.
at least a little bit more balance, in the end it seems that the federation starts designing hundreds of classes ... but in the end it only produces two ... and continues to produce them for decades
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:
yeah, the Ambassador was the starfleet flagship only 20 years ago, it should still be a solid spaceframe during the dominion war, a match (or more than a match) for most of cardassian and dominion designs (up to the battlecruiser at least)

at least a little bit more balance, in the end it seems that the federation starts designing hundreds of classes ... but in the end it only produces two ... and continues to produce them for decades
On first point I agree, an Ambassador should be a match for every Cardassian ship and it would act better than Excelsior and Miranda against Dominion ship. After all they clearly told us it was able to hold on for a time against 3 Romulan Warbird so it's a good warfighting design.

On second point.... It's true in real life. US Navy designed Zumwalt, CG(X) and lot of other ideas and in the end it's only using Arleigh Burke and Ticonderonga when serious things happen.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote: On first point I agree, an Ambassador should be a match for every Cardassian ship and it would act better than Excelsior and Miranda against Dominion ship. After all they clearly told us it was able to hold on for a time against 3 Romulan Warbird so it's a good warfighting design.
even more than a match for every cardassian design, for me.
On second point.... It's true in real life. US Navy designed Zumwalt, CG(X) and lot of other ideas and in the end it's only using Arleigh Burke and Ticonderonga when serious things happen.
Yes, true, but they are not using any Colorado class battleship anymore..nor they are using Clemson class destroyer (both are design built at the end of WW1, so their age would be about the same of a Miranda class during the Dominion War)

the oldest warship design in the US navy (except the USS Costitution) should be the Nimitz class aircraft carrier, in fact the USS Nimitz (commission year 1975, so it is 45 years old ... older than most of the Ambassadors during the dominion war)
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

bladela wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote: On first point I agree, an Ambassador should be a match for every Cardassian ship and it would act better than Excelsior and Miranda against Dominion ship. After all they clearly told us it was able to hold on for a time against 3 Romulan Warbird so it's a good warfighting design.
Yes, true, but they are not using any Colorado class battleship anymore..nor they are using Clemson class destroyer (both are design built at the end of WW1, so their age would be about the same of a Miranda class during the Dominion War)

the oldest warship design in the US navy (except the USS Costitution) should be the Nimitz class aircraft carrier, in fact the USS Nimitz (commission year 1975, so it is 45 years old ... older than most of the Ambassadors during the dominion war)
I can only agree to that.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote:

I have said this before but Star Trek (a result of budgetary concerns on the TV shows) resembles sailing navies. During the time of wooden sailing ships technological progress was very slow. A sailor from let's say 1600 wouldn't be out of his element on a ship from 1700. It wouldn't take him that long to acclimate to the 'futuristic' ship of 1700.

In fact you could argue modern ships are not that different from ships 50 years ago either. 50 years ago they had missile systems, propulsion systems not that dissimilar to what a 2019 ship has versus a 1969 one.

It would be the computers though that would boggle someone from 1969 though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"