without the defection :)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Captain Jean-Luc Picard to Return?

Post by DarkMoineau »

With or without... Romulans are more than faceless mook obeying their Preator.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

I find this an inconsistency of the film ... it was good to invade the federation but they did not want to "get their hands dirty" ... and how did they plan to do ... they put themselves in orbit and asked the humans kindly?
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Going to war and commiting a war crime are two different things.

Syria, Russia and USA does not seem to bother, but some peoples do.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:Going to war and commiting a war crime are two different things.

Syria, Russia and USA does not seem to bother, but some peoples do.
I do not discuss ... I seem a little bit fake those scruples in the movie.

The Romulans had no chance without destroying Earth.
Any deviation from that plan would have led to the defeat and probable end of the empire (they just tried to exterminate you ... to hell the evolved sensitivity of humans in that case).
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

that' s a movie and not the best written
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

bladela wrote:it would be interesting to know what the starfleet's share of the gpd of the federation could be :D
Do they even have a GDP in their moneyless future? :)
Of course it is noteworthy that the federation, with a "military" commitment comparable to the current one in peacetime, is able to be competitive with the Klingons who imagine devote far more resources (both national and for any single-ship) to warfare.
I think they implicitly use the US/USSR as a model there. The Soviets always devoted a far higher percentage of their GDP to the military than the US did, and yet the US economy was so much bigger that they were on a par with the Soviets anyway.

I've always been convinced that if the Federation really chose to go all out, they could build a fleet that would slaughter the Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians combined, much as the US in WWII became an unparalleled war machine.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Do they even have a GDP in their moneyless future? :)
I think so, the federation produces starships ... clothes ... houses ... these enter its GDP, eventually you can say that normally this is maintained at only a fraction of its maximum capacity and that this fraction is not tied to capitalist motivations (even only supply / demand, price of the asset, expediency of the investment, etc.).

I imagine that the current GDP / potential GDP ratio has changed a lot with the introduction of replicators, which must have enormously decentralized the production capacity of the federation.

How is this GDP then "priced" ? credits? Latinum? Hard to say.
I've always been convinced that if the Federation really chose to go all out, they could build a fleet that would slaughter the Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians combined, much as the US in WWII became an unparalleled war machine.
The Romulans should stay quiet and thank that the federation is what it is. :D
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

there is a value that would work for everyone: how much energy is used / you can put / you have put into producing the goods.

a watt or joule is universal no matter if you are a Romulan, the Federation or a Ferengi.

But it does not shine like Gold Plated Latinum....
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:there is a value that would work for everyone: how much energy is used / you can put / you have put into producing the goods.

a watt or joule is universal no matter if you are a Romulan, the Federation or a Ferengi.

But it does not shine like Gold Plated Latinum....
I think so too, the only limited assets to the Federation should be the energy and the "raw material" used by the replicator (and this even less if it can be recycled).

it is not imho a real post-scarcity civilization ... it simply lives far below its real means.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

It seems some thing are hard or can't be replicated... yet... but producing theses goods still consume energy.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:It seems some thing are hard or can't be replicated... yet... but producing theses goods still consume energy.
Latinum...almost worthless for the Federation

That's true, and I think there is still a limit to the federation on the maximum size (or complexity) of the replicable object (precisely for not having replicators that create a starship in an instant).

For the federation I think that the non-replicable "thing" of greater importance is the antimatter, at least not replicable without consuming more energy than stored in the antimatter itself (trivially a physical limit that I think will still be valid in the 24th century)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Year For Setting Of Star Trek Picard Show Established, Storyline Teased By EP
One of the executive producers for the new Picard series is Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon, who has been sharing some of the goings-on from the recently formed writers’ room, as we reported last week when he revealed his galactic map briefing. This week Chabon has again used his Instagram account to reveal more about the show, including the year for the show’s setting.

Regarding the time setting of the show, Chabon’s Instagram post states: “So we finished our first amazing two weeks in the #space2999 writers’ room, and I think all you 99ers out there are really going to “grok” what we have planned.”

“Space 2999” seems to be an inside joke and mashup of Space: 1999 and the actual year the show is set, which appears to be 2399. The last time we saw Picard was in the 2002 film Star Trek: Nemesis, which takes place in the year 2379. At Star Trek Las Vegas, Patrick Stewart said of the setting: “Twenty years will have passed, which is more or less exactly the time between the very last movie – Nemesis – and today.” It appears that Stewart was being specific and that the show will take place exactly 20 years later, or 2399.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

2399 seems to be a good setting based on how actors aged. Tech will be not necessarly vastly different (Enterprise E could still be around, aged 28, just like the first Enterprise was used for 40 years by the Federation, 25 years under Kirk command) and they already have some trails to follow for the political setting.
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:2399 seems to be a good setting based on how actors aged. Tech will be not necessarly vastly different (Enterprise E could still be around, aged 28, just like the first Enterprise was used for 40 years by the Federation, 25 years under Kirk command) and they already have some trails to follow for the political setting.
i'd like to see a few Galaxy X :D