The Next Generation
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The (second) trial of Captain Picard

Post by Graham Kennedy »

From "The Measure of a Man"

PHILLIPA : "A court martial is standard procedure when a ship is lost."

So after the Enterprise-D was lost, Picard would have to undergo court martial, again.

How do you think that trial would go? What would work against him? What would go in his favour? A few points occur :

Picard wasn't even aboard when the ship was lost. Instead he was off on the planet dealing with Soren. Arguably, Riker should have been doing that whilst Picard tended to his ship.

The crew retrieved a prisoner from Klingon custody and failed to discover that a spying device had been planted on him. Did they even think to look for one? Did they not think to give his VISOR a very thorough going over? Or hell, just vapourise it and replicate him a new one. Why not?

That's just for starters.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Re: The (second) trial of Captain Picard

Post by Talondor »

Why would they have a court-martial in the first place? Would they not have a inquiry to determine whether or not he did something wrong that would warrant a court-martial?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A court martial is standard procedure. Who knows why, but it is.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
DonP
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by DonP »

Well, even if he wasn't held directly responsible, between not following protocol leading to the loss of the D and the fact that it was the second ship he lost, I'd say it's a safe bet as to why we never saw an Admiral Picard.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

DonP wrote:Well, even if he wasn't held directly responsible, between not following protocol leading to the loss of the D and the fact that it was the second ship he lost, I'd say it's a safe bet as to why we never saw an Admiral Picard.
I like that idea, actually. Picard is generally depicted as somebody who everyone back in Starfleet command thinks of extremely highly. I like the idea that some of his controversial decisions mean that he's gathered supporters and critics, and it may have hamstrung his career.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Unlike Janeway.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Unlike Janeway.
For Janeway I like to imagine that her detractors are the majority, and decided to mollify her few supporters by bumping her up to a nice desk job on Earth so she'd be somewhere she couldn't do any further harm. She probably heads up the committee that designs new uniforms or something.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:For Janeway I like to imagine that her detractors are the majority, and decided to mollify her few supporters by bumping her up to a nice desk job on Earth so she'd be somewhere she couldn't do any further harm. She probably heads up the committee that designs new uniforms or something.
Unlikely, given that she was the one who gave Picard his orders to go to Romulus in Nemesis. She's probably the 1st Sea Lord's secretary.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I'm sure the only reason Janeway is an admiral is because Picard probably took Kirk's advice and declined an admiralty because he likes to be in the captain's chair "making a difference".
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-