Blu-ray Tweaks

The Next Generation
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Blu-ray Tweaks

Post by Varthikes »

I've been watching the show on Blu-ray for the first time. Currently in the middle of the fifth season.

One thing I really like is how they went in and made minor corrections to some really annoying inconsistencies. Like in "Encounter at Farpoint", where Picard orders a modified phaser beam to feed the creature on the planet. Originally, the beam came from the area of the captain's yacht. Now, it comes from the phaser array. In "The Naked Now", when they find the file from Kirk's Enterprise, originally they had a graphic of the refit Enterprise. Now, it's the OS Enterprise. In "Darmok", they originally had phaser beams coming from the torpedo launcher. Now, the beams come from the dorsal phaser array.

I had hoped that they had managed to correct the 3d model of the refit Consitution. The one seen throughout the first season with the backward warp nacelles. But, I guess not.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blu-ray Tweaks

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oddly, I seem to recall that they made a big deal about how they weren't changing TNG, only restoring the image quality. Yet as you say, they clearly did fix a few little nits around the place. I appreciate the changes, myself.
I had hoped that they had managed to correct the 3d model of the refit Consitution. The one seen throughout the first season with the backward warp nacelles. But, I guess not.
Huh? The 3D refit constitution in TNG?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Huh? The 3D refit constitution in TNG?
The silver one.

"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh. Never noticed that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I'd imagine that woukd cost alot of money and time to correct that with CGI.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:I'd imagine that woukd cost alot of money and time to correct that with CGI.
Yeah. that would be a lot of shots that would need touching up.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, you want a real weird thought on this topic?

I was reading through some of my episode reviews and I came across "Hide and Q". In this episode, Riker is given the power of the Q. He chooses to give each of his friends a "gift" - he gives Geordi normal vision, offers to make Data human... and makes Wesley ten years older.

The older Wesley is this guy :

One of my episode nits for this episode was that this guy looks nothing like Wil Wheaton now that he's way older than the kid he was then. As I read it, I idly wondered if we could convince Wil Wheaton to get plastic surgery so that he looked like that guy. I figure probably not, as his family wouldn't like it.

So that set me thinking. Imagine if they had used their "insert new actor into old scene" technology from Trials and Tribblations... and actually put the older Wil Wheaton into that scene in place of that guy! How totally cool would that be?! To have the older Wesley Crusher actually played by the older Wesley Crusher!!! That would be sooooo amazing!
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

That would be interesting to see.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Never been a fan of that, to be honest. Just feels like a step too far.