The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starbase 12

Post by Meste17 »

So I have recently been reading up on this article:
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Starbase_12

At first it seems to be a orbiting command post in 2163, as a test of Starfleet's long-range construction abilities. The USS Essex, the Daedalus class ship from Power Play, is also on record as having been assigned there as well in 2167. And it seems to stay that way with a planetside facility when the USS Enterprise visits there many times in the 2260s, and even the USS Enterprise-D in the 2360s visits there as well for maintenance and overhauls. That's all said and good ....

HOWEVER, the game Star Trek Bridge Commander clearly shows the starbase to be in a different location, with a Starbase 74 type facility where the player vessels, the Dauntless and the Sovereign, can clearly be seen as having docked INSIDE the facility.

So which is it, is it a planetside facility or an orbital starbase? And if it is a starbase, could it be of the Starbase 74 type?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Starbase 12

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Books, games, etc are not canon. Episodes are.

TOS "Space Seed" :

KHAN: I have a few questions first. What is your heading?
KIRK: Our heading is Starbase Twelve, a planet in the Gamma 400 star system. Our command base in this sector. Is that of any use to you?

So Starbase 12 is a planetary base.

That said, the Enterprise-D went there for a refit in the 2360s

PICARD: Look, the Enterprise is scheduled to spend a week undergoing maintenance overhaul at Starbase twelve. While there, I promise that I will make full use of available recreation activity.

So since they can't land the E-D, there must be a planetary base along with some orbital infrastructure, all of which is called "Starbase 12". Presumably, the orbital stuff would include dock facilities like those seen in TMP and other places.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meste, you mentioned that you were getting your info from an article on Memory Beta. Since that is a non-canon-sourced site, what is the point of the questions? I could say that Starbase 12 is, in fact, halfway up my ass, and that has as much canonicity.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Oh good lord. It continues...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If the station were half way up Mikeys arse it would infact be on the darkside of the moon.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:If the station were half way up Mikeys arse it would infact be on the darkside of the moon.
I'm American - we don't have "arses," we have asses. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
Teaos wrote:If the station were half way up Mikeys arse it would infact be on the darkside of the moon.
I'm American - we don't have "arses," we have asses. :P
Damn straight
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"