USS Reliant

The Next Generation

What class do you see a TNG USS Reliant becoming? To be a counterpart to the USS Enterprise-E?

Akira class
78%
Borodin class
11%
Luna class
No votes
Nebula class
11%
Norway class
No votes

Total votes: 9
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USS Reliant

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Interestingly, I've seen sources that say the Miranda is actually larger than the Constitution.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Interestingly, I've seen sources that say the Miranda is actually larger than the Constitution.
Hmmm, as a legendary Star Trek icon would say, "fascinating."

Though I must say I find it extremely, to again quote said icon, "illogical."

P.S. I pmed you on something that I had to ask.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Interestingly, I've seen sources that say the Miranda is actually larger than the Constitution.
Define "larger". In maximum dimensions, given how many times we can directly compare the two in TWOK, that obviously isn't the case, but in terms of volume I think it's at least plausible, given the size of the aft superstructure.

As to the "TOS Miranda", my own view is that the lead ship was launched, appearing as Reliant does in TWOK, during Kirk's five year mission, and aspects of her design (bridge, nacelles, etc) were used in the refit-Connie, rather than them both being refits.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I know he's not popular around here and his site theme is off topic, but the old st-v-sw.net site has a page listing the volumes of various ships. He has it as :

Original Connie : 211,248 m^3
Miranda : 217,770 m^3

So the Miranda is about 3% bigger.

My own Blender Connie model shows it as having a volume of 256,116 m^3, though. No idea why there would be that much of a discrepancy there. I have a TOS Miranda model, but I can't get a volume off it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Hmmm .... Well I guess that would be possible. After all, you've clearly established and confirmed that there ARE so many variants of the Miranda after all ....