SF Debris: The Chase

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: The Chase

Post by Nutso »

TNG: The Chase Review

Opinionated Next Gen Episode Guide looks at the one that tries to explain why all these alien species look like humans. Turns out it's because Paramount is cheap.
I remember this. I used to wonder if these progenitors were older than the Q, or the Q.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SF Debris: The Chase

Post by Teaos »

I always liked this episode. Reminds me of the Manny Coto episodes that explained all those fan questions.

And I doubt they are the Q. They are first in our galaxy, not the universe.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

There is a fanfic out there that I like that tried to connect the dots like the Preservers, the Progenitors, and so forth with them creating Earth copies and so forth.

Good writing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:I always liked this episode. Reminds me of the Manny Coto episodes that explained all those fan questions.

And I doubt they are the Q. They are first in our galaxy, not the universe.
Is there a known origin of the Q?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

One would imagin they came after the P.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Teaos wrote:One would imagin they came after the P.
And their successors are NSFW.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Coalition wrote:
Teaos wrote:One would imagin they came after the P.
And their successors are NSFW.

Standards sure do drop steeply......
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I love this episode, especially that ending with the Romulan commander contacting Picard and that bit of hope. I always found it funny/odd the Klingons and Cardassians were about to shoot it out and the Romulans were, "Hey, let's talk this out!" I don't even know why. :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I love this episode, especially that ending with the Romulan commander contacting Picard and that bit of hope. I always found it funny/odd the Klingons and Cardassians were about to shoot it out and the Romulans were, "Hey, let's talk this out!" I don't even know why. :D
The Klingons' ability to start a fight in an empty room is well known, but the Cardies had a similar tendency to start fights over wounded pride - look at the attack on the E-D at the start of The Wounded, and the number of times they had to be forced to back down by the threat of overwhelming force. The Romulans, on the other hand, were always looking at the bigger picture, and were more interested in coming out on top in the long term. They were never prepared to get into a firefight unless it served to further those long-term goals.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I also viewed the Romulans as the only ones besides the Federation to take exploration and science seriously with Cardassians doing it only for 'Motha Russ... I mean Cardassia'.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I'd see the Romulans thinking something like:

"We will assist the Federation with this discovery, because otherwise the Federation will only share what they learn with the Klingon Empire, making our enemy stronger. If we work with the Federation, they will share the information with us and the Klingons, keeping the balance. The Klingons will share what they know with the Federation for the same reason. I would prefer to have all the information ourselves, but we have to deal with reality, not what we desire."

Romulans are practical, planners, and adjusting their plans when necessary. in this case they part part of the information, the Klingons had another part, and the Federation had a third part. The Klingons and Romulans won't trust each other, but they both can trust that the Federation will share equally.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sounds a familiar doesn't it.