Galaxy class subtypes

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Galaxy class subtypes

Post by Meste17 »

Since the Nebula class is modular, and itself is only a spinoff to the Galaxy class, doesn't that mean that the Galaxy class can be fitted to house a weapons/science pod as well?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Galaxy class subtypes

Post by Teaos »

No.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

No. Needs a hard point and structure which it doesn't have.

Might as well say the Galaxy could employ a second saucer on top of the existing one.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I suppose they might be able to employ mission-specific saucer sections, but their usefulness would be severely limited by their dependence on the existing umbilical connections to the engineering hull, which are severely limited by the pretty narrow gap between the main impulse engine, the forward torpedo launcher, and the top of the main deuterium tank.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I suppose they might be able to employ mission-specific saucer sections, but their usefulness would be severely limited by their dependence on the existing umbilical connections to the engineering hull, which are severely limited by the pretty narrow gap between the main impulse engine, the forward torpedo launcher, and the top of the main deuterium tank.
In addition, the logistics of getting alternate saucer sections around to various starbases for deployment would be far more of a nightmare than that of the Nebula pods.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And also a huge waste of resources for the ones not in use.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:And also a huge waste of resources for the ones not in use.
Although you could hold one hell of a kegger in them. :D Or the ultimate Ultimate Frisbee tournament?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I always liked the idea of a battle saucer. Having warp nacelles tucked in the sides and has alot of weapons.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:Might as well say the Galaxy could employ a second saucer on top of the existing one.
Get to welding!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Meste17 wrote:Since the Nebula class is modular, and itself is only a spinoff to the Galaxy class, doesn't that mean that the Galaxy class can be fitted to house a weapons/science pod as well?
Is there any weird distortion of a ship design that you don't like?

Up next :

Can the Defiant be turned into a mobile amusement park?

Can a Type 9 shuttle tow a passenger pod with 5,000 people in it as an alternative to a cruise liner?

Could Ben Sisko's wooden solar sail ship have 400 Type X phaser arrays mounted on it to turn it into a super-battleship?

Could the Nebula class be refitted to have 20 times as many toilets?

Would it be possible to weld and Excelsior class to an Ambassador class, and would that make it better in some undefined way?

What it confer some sort of advantage if an Akira class was crewed entirely by monkeys?

Hospital ships : Could they make good battleships if you put lots of weapons on them? And high power shields? And a boosted structural integrity system? And better inertial dampeners? And damage resistance control systems? And bigger nacelles? And a bigger warp core? And better firecontrol systems? In other words completely rebuild the ship, but still start with a hospital ship for some reason?

If we put nacelles on the TARDIS, would it make a good starship? Would it still be able to move through time?

And could somebody please create detailed specifications for all those ships for me? And maybe draw pictures of them? And if you have time, carve little wooden models that are all to scale with one another, and paint them, and mail them to me?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

"Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:Since the Nebula class is modular, and itself is only a spinoff to the Galaxy class, doesn't that mean that the Galaxy class can be fitted to house a weapons/science pod as well?
Is there any weird distortion of a ship design that you don't like?

Up next :

Can the Defiant be turned into a mobile amusement park?

Can a Type 9 shuttle tow a passenger pod with 5,000 people in it as an alternative to a cruise liner?

Could Ben Sisko's wooden solar sail ship have 400 Type X phaser arrays mounted on it to turn it into a super-battleship?

Could the Nebula class be refitted to have 20 times as many toilets?

Would it be possible to weld and Excelsior class to an Ambassador class, and would that make it better in some undefined way?

What it confer some sort of advantage if an Akira class was crewed entirely by monkeys?

Hospital ships : Could they make good battleships if you put lots of weapons on them? And high power shields? And a boosted structural integrity system? And better inertial dampeners? And damage resistance control systems? And bigger nacelles? And a bigger warp core? And better firecontrol systems? In other words completely rebuild the ship, but still start with a hospital ship for some reason?

If we put nacelles on the TARDIS, would it make a good starship? Would it still be able to move through time?

And could somebody please create detailed specifications for all those ships for me? And maybe draw pictures of them? And if you have time, carve little wooden models that are all to scale with one another, and paint them, and mail them to me?
How about raising an old blown up WW2 Battleship to be used as a space Battleship that somehow is comparable or better than purpose built space battleships? Is that doable?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Maybe the Japanese could pull it off, I guess. Those folks are pretty clever.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or what if we put gatling gun type pulse phasers on the Defiant to be extra bad ass?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That WOULD be badass!!!!!!!!!