Federation Cell Ship

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Federation Cell Ship

Post by Meste17 »

I seem to have developed an interest in the Suliban cell ship from Star Trek Enterprise. It only seemed to be 3.25 meters, just as Graham said in DITL. However, that would only be a suitable size for a Suliban, not a human, as he/she wouldn't be able to fit comfortably in it.

However, that DID leave a question in my mind:
Seeing as how my bedroom in the USA is about 12.5 feet (or 3.81 meters), would that suit as the size of a Cell Ship cockpit?

And would it be possible to double that? That way the 3.81 meters would suit as a cockpit, and the remaining space could possibly be used to house a sort of mini - warp core and supporting equipment (such as life support equipment, power conduits, phaser coils, etc.)?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Federation Cell Ship

Post by McAvoy »

What would be the purpose of a Federation cell ship?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Meste17 wrote:I seem to have developed an interest in the Suliban cell ship from Star Trek Enterprise. It only seemed to be 3.25 meters, just as Graham said in DITL. However, that would only be a suitable size for a Suliban, not a human, as he/she wouldn't be able to fit comfortably in it.
Huh? How big do humans get where you live? Here they tend to average about 180-200 cm. Seems like they fit quite comfortably :

Seeing as how my bedroom in the USA is about 12.5 feet (or 3.81 meters), would that suit as the size of a Cell Ship cockpit?
A cell ship is a form of transport, not a house... very few forms of transport have 12.5 feet of headroom in them.
And would it be possible to double that? That way the 3.81 meters would suit as a cockpit, and the remaining space could possibly be used to house a sort of mini - warp core and supporting equipment (such as life support equipment, power conduits, phaser coils, etc.)?
Cell ships already have all that - we've seen that they can do warp speed and have weapons :

If you're suggesting that Earth Starfleet build these things in the Enterprise timeframe, I doubt they have the capability. Cell ships are far, far beyond NX-01 technology - a warp core that can do Warp 5 or more, in a ship that size? Cloaking technology that will be only a theoretical technology even in the Original Series, 100+ years later? These things are practically magic compared to what Earth builds.

They've had a cell ship to look at, sure, and they might have clues from that, but that's not the same thing as being able to build one. You could hand an iPad to Issac Newton and he could examine it all he likes, he could even learn how to work it, but his society is simply incapable of reproducing it.

If you're suggesting this could be done in the TNG era, then cloaking devices are illegal, so no.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The other thing is these ships would be short ranged as there wouldn't be enough room for creature comforts like food and getting rid of bodily waste.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

But... where do you poop?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Do it in a bag. Open the front and chuck it out as needed...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or that seat is the toilet.

Do it like the movie Idiocracy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

"Blue ice... in SPAAAAAAAAACE!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:What would be the purpose of a Federation cell ship?
Maybe for the purpose of actual spy missions maybe?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:I seem to have developed an interest in the Suliban cell ship from Star Trek Enterprise. It only seemed to be 3.25 meters, just as Graham said in DITL. However, that would only be a suitable size for a Suliban, not a human, as he/she wouldn't be able to fit comfortably in it.
Huh? How big do humans get where you live? Here they tend to average about 180-200 cm. Seems like they fit quite comfortably :

Haha I'm sorry I only had my own two feet walking from one side of the room to the other to measure, unfortunately -_-
A cell ship is a form of transport, not a house... very few forms of transport have 12.5 feet of headroom in them.
Cell ships already have all that - we've seen that they can do warp speed and have weapons :

If you're suggesting that Earth Starfleet build these things in the Enterprise timeframe, I doubt they have the capability. Cell ships are far, far beyond NX-01 technology - a warp core that can do Warp 5 or more, in a ship that size? Cloaking technology that will be only a theoretical technology even in the Original Series, 100+ years later? These things are practically magic compared to what Earth builds.

They've had a cell ship to look at, sure, and they might have clues from that, but that's not the same thing as being able to build one. You could hand an iPad to Issac Newton and he could examine it all he likes, he could even learn how to work it, but his society is simply incapable of reproducing it.

If you're suggesting this could be done in the TNG era, then cloaking devices are illegal, so no.
Well that's exactly what I was implying, a TNG era ship, but no I was not suggesting that Earth Starfleet build them, only the Federation Starfleet build them, but to answer your question, WITHOUT cloaking devices. However, they DO have mini shuttles, such as the Type 18 shuttlepod, so yeah.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Also, I suppose that I meant the Type 15 shuttles.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

TNG I doubt needs these ships. They might make for a alternative for one or two man shuttles. Hell, or use them as drones to swarm approaching enemy ships in less patroled areas.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:

Well I can see the cloaking device problem, but what about a ship WITHOUT one? Like as an experimental TNG prototype?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Again what is purpose of the ship?
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

McAvoy wrote:Again what is purpose of the ship?
Redshirt removal service.

If used in combat, these things would get popped faster than the Lysian sentry drones.

As an unmanned drone they might present enough targets to give the opposing side trouble (similar to the recent Star Trek: Beyond movie), but once th opponent deploys a fast-firing weapon they will be popping all over the place.

They are basically part of the "Why doesn't Star-fleet use fighters" argument, and we have two threads about it here and here.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)