Federation holoship and it's uses

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Federation holoship and it's uses

Post by Meste17 »

So who else is thinking that the holoship could have more than one use? According to Graham, the holoship was being debated as an R&R recreational vehicle for troops recovering on the front lines, but I am also thinking that it could possibly be used not only as a fighter carrier but as a Marine drop ship as well.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Federation holoship and it's uses

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I don't see how it could be suited for either of those roles. I suppose you could say it's pretty large inside, but there's no sign that it's fitted out with hangars - there's no hangar doors on it, certainly not great big ones like a carrier would use. And Marine drop ship? Again, lots of useful space and I suppose it might have more transporters than usual - to beam a whole village up as fast as possible - but it's not kitted out for lots of people. You could make holographic barracks inside, but that's surely going to be pretty power-hungry.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not being fitted out for carrying large numbers of isn't really a problem - it's nothing that a week in dock wouldn't fix. A much bigger obstacle to its use as an assault ship is the lack of significant doorways. Look at the size of the well deck on a modern assault ship, or the back ramp on a transport aircraft, and you'll see the size of the door you'll need to get people on an off in a reasonable time. It's likely that it does have far more impressive transporter capability for its size than most ships, but any likely target for an assault is likely to have transport inhibitors as part of its defences.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

It would probably be a good research vessel. You would need some hard supplies (research stuff that might not be able to he replicated) but most things that you might need the ship would just make. You could land it on a planet/moon/etc surface and create whatever lab space the specific circumstances require. When you are done, go to another surface and do it again.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The advantage is that you can easily reconfigure the interior to whatever is needed and the holodeck can handle a large number of people simultaneously. The downside is the power demand from the holodeck would be impressive.

So it could be used for combat training for larger numbers of troops, who have to get used to a variety of potential terrain and responses. Simulated walls and opponents could be easily added and removed, and the power demand would mean it would only be used for key missions.

You wouldn't need a full holodeck to simulate a scientific conference where people can examine (holographic) relics, students simulating an archeological dig, disaster training, large-scale damage control training, and similar ideas. The conference could have real tables instead of fake, the archeological dig could be simulated with transporters putting dirt down in the proper layers, while test chambers (and older ships) could be used for disaster and damage control simulations.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have a hard time trying to figure out the legitimate uses for the ship. Alot of stuff you could use it for could be done on a regular ship.

It's only the sheer size of it that would make it more useful than a regular holodeck on a ship.

I do think evacuating native populations when their planet is in jeopardy without them not knowing it seems to be the best use for it even if a limited use for it.

Or its a special design, one of a kind.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

McAvoy wrote: I do think evacuating native populations when their planet is in jeopardy without them not knowing it seems to be the best use for it even if a limited use for it.

Or its a special design, one of a kind.
That could work. IIRC Insurrection was set during the Dominion War, and the Federation has the Prime Directive. So if there is a primitive species in the path of the Dominion, the Federation would use holoships to evacuate them from the Dominion's path. The locals are saved, and their culture is not affected by the Federation (but is likely affected due to the different days seasons, and years of wherever they wind up). :mrgreen:
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)