Yesterday's Enterprise

The Next Generation
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer

Yesterday's Enterprise

Post by Space Ghost »

My favorite episode, perhaps in all of Star Trek. It was written, directed, and acted so well that I can watch it again and again and never tire of it. My only wish is that it was a two parter to draw out some of the relationships a little more. The animosity between Picard and Riker could have been great to see in more detail. But, I guess they didn't have the budget. Perhaps it's just as well. Too often the second half of the two parter ends up falling a little flat. Oh well. It's still my favorite.

Any other thoughts?
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Actually, two part episodes generally have a lower budget than single part episodes because they can spread the cost over two eps.

For example, let's say that the average budget is $1,000,000, and the episode will cost $1,500,000 to make. Too much for a single episode, but for a two part episode, you have $2,000,000, and all you have to do is extend the script a bit. other costs - such as hire of the cameras, paying actors etc will be very similar, as the actors, crew and equipment would have been used anyway.

But it is a good episode. Shame they didn't get Worf as the Klingon captain calling the enterprise tellimng them to surrender. :D
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Space Ghost

Post by Space Ghost »

But Worf discovered prune juice! A warrior's drink! :D
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

How did we get the oversight of Geordi wearing the alternate universe uniform in Ten-Forward at the end of the episode? That always struck me as a "how could they miss that?!" moment
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Wonderful episode.

I wouldn't mind seeing a series dealing with the Enterprise-C (as long as this episode is treated VERY well when the series wraps up!)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I wouldn't mind seeing a series dealing with the Enterprise-C (as long as this episode is treated VERY well when the series wraps up!)
/quote

Have we not learned our lesson of doing retro trek?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, now that B&B are gone, they might be able to do it some justice.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

I don't really like the mid 2300s era. The ships are ugly.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What ships of that era have we seen? I don't really think we know enough to judge. (But yes, some could do with a touchup)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Crushproof wrote:I don't really like the mid 2300s era. The ships are ugly.
the Enterprise D was a child of those times, remember?
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I like them. They are practical. They have just been through a long period of peace (Pretty much) so there ships reflect that. It not until the presure is put on in the 2370's that we start to see them push the envelope.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Cheyenne class. *gag*
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

A nice twist in the plot would have been seeing Worf as commander of the Klingon vessel telling the Enterprise D to surrender. :twisted:
American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Capt. Jethro wrote:A nice twist in the plot would have been seeing Worf as commander of the Klingon vessel telling the Enterprise D to surrender. :twisted:
I think that was in the original, but it was cut, along with the decapitation of Wesley Crusher. :(
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Decpatation of Wesley? :shock:
I would pay to see that! :twisted: