Borg insider

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Borg insider

Post by Meste17 »

I'm kind of curious. How tall would a deck have to be to house a Borg drone AND his/her regeneration alcove?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Borg insider

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Meste17 wrote:I'm kind of curious. How tall would a deck have to be to house a Borg drone AND his/her regeneration alcove?
The E-E seemed able to do it with minimum modification so, likely the height of a standard Starfleet corridor is applicable.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Borg adapt :p

They can seem to fit into your standard 8 foot deck, but Sevens was in the Cargo bay.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:Borg adapt :p

They can seem to fit into your standard 8 foot deck, but Sevens was in the Cargo bay.
Makes you wonder how deep those alcoves went into the deck, ceiling and bulkheads.

Probably needed extensive work in dock after First Contact.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Probably needed extensive work in dock after First Contact.
Undoubtedly. The running firefights through the corridors, loss of the main deflector, and possibly the loss of the entire lifeboat complement would have been bad enough even without the extras the Borg installed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

As far as we know, the Federation is one of the few species to fight off a Borg assult, other are just assimilated, or at best run away.

Considering the amount of junk the Borg left in Federation space, some of it perfectly functional, you'd think the Feds would be able to reverse engineer a lot of it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

They probably are or trying to do it. Chances are though Starfleet Engineers figured it all out and not only made it better but managed to make it sing and dance and serve coffee and tea.

Seriously though the Queen did say that Starfleet would repel any attempts at the Borg attacking them. Though I doubt she meant a full scale attack like with a thousand cubes. She focused the reason on humans.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

I don't remember that. When did the Queen state that?
John Wain
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by John Wain »

I do remember something of that sort being said by the Borg, but I can't recall where exactly. Though it makes perfect sense, seeing how the Borg were 'humanized' in their approach, that they would notice how humans are not their usual 'assimilation stuff'.

I was looking through the ditl.org page and trying to figure out what ship came after the Sovereign. The Prometheus would be a candidate for some Borg technology, but maybe its slow implementation has something to do with politics as well - just as they never adopt the cloaking technology because of their treaties with the Romulans, perhaps using Borg technology to gain an advantage is beyond the Federation's sovereignty and would constitute the matter of diplomatic tensions.

Or it could be that they have no idea how to adapt the technology in any useful way. We get a glimpse into that from VOY, where it is clear Seven of Nine was never fully understood or 'cured' of her Borg implants.
Last edited by John Wain on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Black Jesus wrote:I don't remember that. When did the Queen state that?
The where she is talking to Seven about it. Dark Frontier I think.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

SF can not stand a full assault by the borg. We don´t know how many ships do they had before their war with 8472 (or after) but just a couple of dozens of cubes should be enough to defeat SF (PIS aside of course).
On the other hand, we don't know how assimilation process works at planetary scale, how long it takes, etc. Not to mention at a "hundred planets" scale, a lot can happen in the time they need to assimilate the whole of UFP space.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

She didn't say they could repel any assault. She said :

"Isn't it obvious? You're going to help us assimilate humanity. We failed in our first attempt to assimilate Earth, and we won't succeed the next time unless we understand the nature of their resistance. We want you to be our eyes. Let us see humanity."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Nice to know the borg think humanity special, sort of.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

SomosFuga wrote:Nice to know the borg think humanity special, sort of.
Humanity is special is nearly all Sci fi.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Really it's just the standard Borg response to any defeat - analyse why you lost, adapt to remove the vulnerability, and attack again.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...