Charting all of TNG, via IMDB

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Charting all of TNG, via IMDB

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

This article here at a tech blog is interesting enough in it's own right. It's a defense against one writer's dislike of the ep "Darmok," but uses IMDB ratings to make a statement about how different episodes were regarded by the fanbase at large (at least a fairly large sample of it). However, in so doing the authors came up with a graphical representation charting the rating of every TNG episode from the beginning to the end of the series.

Behold (can't embed due to 2000 px limit and too lazy to resize and rehost, linking instead):

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/u ... darmok.png

The dot all the way at the bottom, near the end of season 2, that's "Shades of Grey." :lol:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Charting all of TNG, via IMDB

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That can't be Shades of Gray. it's too high. :D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Supprised it is ranked so consistently. I would have expected a lower start and higher middle tapering off at the end.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
John Wain
Petty officer first class

Post by John Wain »

The first season of TNG got off to a rocky start, but I enjoyed it just the same.

I see that 'The Inner Light' got the highest IMDb mark - I personally also love that episode best in the series. I do agree with most of the high marks given.

'Shades of Gray' was however the most difficult episode to watch, it had like 5 minutes of original footage :?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

John Wain wrote:The first season of TNG got off to a rocky start, but I enjoyed it just the same.

I see that 'The Inner Light' got the highest IMDb mark - I personally also love that episode best in the series. I do agree with most of the high marks given.

'Shades of Gray' was however the most difficult episode to watch, it had like 5 minutes of original footage :?
I have always enjoyed Inner Light even though it seems to on some additional thought to be a messed up episode. You give Picard a whole lifetime that he plays out and then he awakens up like nothing happens. Picard even gave up.

My only guess is the probe does in fact alters the mind so that Picard is more ready to take the role faster than usual and after the probe is done Picard lives out the life, the probe makes sure that Picard suffers no traumatic episodes by perhaps making his brain make it like a very strong dream.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
John Wain

Post by John Wain »

@McAvoy: I never looked at it that way, but it makes sense. After all, even though he lived a whole life in the span of a 25 minute dream, if I remember correctly (and upon waking up, he was very much aware of it all) still it was just a dream and I think his real self came back unaffected and ready to resume his duties as a Starfleet officer.

But Picard never forgot his other 'life', and this is mentioned in a later episode, Lessons, where we also get to hear again the Inner Light tune, now in a duet. The Ressikan flute also makes appearances in various other episodes, so the producers wanted to make sure we know that Picard's experience was very powerful and long-lasting.

What I don't understand is what you meant to say with 'Picard even gave up'.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

John Wain wrote:@McAvoy: I never looked at it that way, but it makes sense. After all, even though he lived a whole life in the span of a 25 minute dream, if I remember correctly (and upon waking up, he was very much aware of it all) still it was just a dream and I think his real self came back unaffected and ready to resume his duties as a Starfleet officer.

But Picard never forgot his other 'life', and this is mentioned in a later episode, Lessons, where we also get to hear again the Inner Light tune, now in a duet. The Ressikan flute also makes appearances in various other episodes, so the producers wanted to make sure we know that Picard's experience was very powerful and long-lasting.

What I don't understand is what you meant to say with 'Picard even gave up'.
He gave up being given Picard the starship Captain and became the guy the probe wanted him to be. Another way of looking at it is the probe basically pushed him into it. Otherwise I highly doubt Picard would have given up so soon. Though it is hard to judge how long it took him.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"