New Enterprise Look - Answer

The Next Generation
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New Enterprise Look - Answer

Post by Meste17 »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
Meste17 wrote:I know, AGAIN, that means you like the circular saucer idea? cuz with the Federation developing quantum slipstream tech in the novels, I thought that advances would mean that at the very least it would mean they could form a hull similar to the old Enterprise.
Depending on what sources of information you use, the TNG novel Greater Than the Sum suggests that due to the nature of quantum slipstream, and the power requirements, vessels equipped with QS drives tend to be narrow and compact. So if you take that into account, then the saucer will likely still be more elongated like a sovereigns.
Not necessarily. You forget this is the 25th century. Maybe Starfleet has developed a mode of Quantum Slipstream that will allow a saucer like that AND still be fast as hell WITHOUT sacrificing hull integrity. ;)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I haven't forgotten, just throwing in relevant information. Obviously yes, they could have done so. Just making sure you're aware that they would need to do so.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Meste17 wrote:
Teaos wrote:Yeah the cirular saucer is fine, my point is that you were taking design cues from the E-nil and the E-E, try something totally new thats never been done before as well.
Oh.....Well I DID have some idea as to a new ship a LONG time ago. It is not EXACTLY original, but to me it's never been done before.

Think of the NX-class saucer attached to the Akira class secondary hull. Now turn THAT hull upside down. With the double hulls on the BOTTOM of the saucer instead of the top you know?
...umm. My point is to be original you need to stop borrowing bits from other ships, chop and shop ships, or franksenships tend to be horrible because you are just splicing together other people ideas.

You need to be ground up original, you can start with the basic concept of a round primary hull and long engineering, but the design itself has to be from scratch.

And as many of us have said, you really cant design this ship with out having fleshed out the designs inbetween and the history from the E-E to the E-H. You havent posted anything along those lines, or said anythign beyond vauge comments about Quantum slip stream, a mile long ship and shape.

If you want to do this well you have to do it properly from the ground up. There are no short cuts.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:
Meste17 wrote:
Teaos wrote:Yeah the cirular saucer is fine, my point is that you were taking design cues from the E-nil and the E-E, try something totally new thats never been done before as well.
Oh.....Well I DID have some idea as to a new ship a LONG time ago. It is not EXACTLY original, but to me it's never been done before.

Think of the NX-class saucer attached to the Akira class secondary hull. Now turn THAT hull upside down. With the double hulls on the BOTTOM of the saucer instead of the top you know?
...umm. My point is to be original you need to stop borrowing bits from other ships, chop and shop ships, or franksenships tend to be horrible because you are just splicing together other people ideas.

You need to be ground up original, you can start with the basic concept of a round primary hull and long engineering, but the design itself has to be from scratch.

And as many of us have said, you really cant design this ship with out having fleshed out the designs inbetween and the history from the E-E to the E-H. You havent posted anything along those lines, or said anythign beyond vauge comments about Quantum slip stream, a mile long ship and shape.

If you want to do this well you have to do it properly from the ground up. There are no short cuts.
...umm. you see my point? You kinda HAVE to help, or else I'm hopeless. -_-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We have given you exactly what you need. I'm happy to help you bounce ideas but I wont do it for you. Start from scatch, out line the timeline fromt he E-E to the E-F to the E-G then finally the E-H, what happens politically and technologically.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

Meste17 wrote:

So, you are either making the Akira class, or the NX class? The NX is basically a modified Akira turned upside down.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That sounds like you are going backwards. I suppose you could make a pre-Akira for the 23rd century along those design Linea. However since we are talking about the Enterprise of Star fleet the ship should resemble the Jeffries design of TOS
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:That sounds like you are going backwards. I suppose you could make a pre-Akira for the 23rd century along those design Linea. However since we are talking about the Enterprise of Star fleet the ship should resemble the Jeffries design of TOS
For example use the circular saucer like on the TOS and TMP Enterprise?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Or, you know, something original.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That too.

This is all fun and games doing the 20 questions on what your Enterprise could look like. But it is your Enterprise. If you think the new Enterprise should be a kilometer long and have a giant TOS saucer with Sovereign nacelles and a Galaxy engineering section that is all up to you.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

Teaos wrote:
Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:
Teaos wrote:He did a whole series from the E-E to the E-J (My least favorite of any Trek ship) and showed the design evolution.
Is it on this site? If so I will dredge through the forums, I would be interested in seeing his ideas.

When I first saw the E-J I kinda liked it. Then it went rapidly downhill from there. That's the problem with delving too much into the future without any real thought I guess, though.

At least the guy who did this design has made some effort to create a design lineage.
Ask and ye shall receive...

E-F

Any way you look at it this guy can do designs very well indeed. To bad this guy isn't around to design ships for the Abrams verse too. That comparison would be very interesting to see.

E-G

E-H

E-I

E-J

These are all done by a old member around here called Darkomen. Some of his other work is in the Art and Design Forum but a lot of it is missing as he removed a lot of his older work. But he was an amazing designer, really though through the evolution of design and the practical aspects of ship design with out making them wanky.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Is there a reason you quoted that?

Spocky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Spocky »

My thoughts exactly.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe he was trying to quote it with a reply. Sometimes when I try to do that on my phone it is hard as hell with all of that in the text field.
dagadget

Post by dagadget »

Teaos wrote:Is there a reason you quoted that?

Ooops

It does look rather impressive though.....