New Enterprise Look - Answer

The Next Generation
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: New Enterprise Look - Answer

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Cheers Teaos.

They are some bloody amazing designs, and it's nice to see an effort to create a lineage for the various designs, and the bit of background with a few as well.

Even with the destruction of Romulus (obviously after his designs were made), there's no reason that surviving Romulan worlds couldn't have joined the Federation, and hence the design of the E-G.

Anyway, I wouldn't wish to TR116 the topic, so I shall thank you once again, and I shall search through the Art & Design for back yonder :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Well, I saw the design before, but I honestly think that Star Trek Online renders that design kind of mute....due to how the Enterprise-F REALLY looks like in there. :( Still, Idk whether to use the design I showed you, go with the one you saw me, or go for a different one all together. :(
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Star Trek online isnt canon so the story and designs from it don't count.

As we said, since you want this for a RP or story your doing just pick what ever design you like best, one of the existing ones or a new one you make, it doesnt matter. Since its for your use choose what ever one you like best, or which one matches the purpose you want to use it for.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Star Trek online isnt canon so the story and designs from it don't count.

As we said, since you want this for a RP or story your doing just pick what ever design you like best, one of the existing ones or a new one you make, it doesnt matter. Since its for your use choose what ever one you like best, or which one matches the purpose you want to use it for.

Well, try to look at it this way: I DO want to use a design that APPEALS to the general public.....not be a piece of crap. -_-
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Good luck then.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Frankly you shouldnt give a crap what others think since its for your own private use, which is all it can be since you cant use other peoples designs for anything but private use.

It seemed most people though your first pic was too similar to the Sovereign. You can have a go at creating your own design, but try to be original, and remember that it is 3 generations removed from the E-E, its got to look substantially different.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Well it seemed most people though your first pic was to similar to the Sovereign. You can have a go at creating your own design, but try to be original, and remember that it is 3 generations removed from the E-E, its got to look substantially different.
Okay, give me some guidelines. Like set some limits: Shapes, sizes of certain hulls, etc.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Different.

You want a ship three generations removed from the E-E, about 100 years in the future.

Think of the designs in between like the guy I posted did.

He didnt just pull some random numbers out of his arse or try to make the ship as super powerful as possible.

He made logical design steps from one generation to the next, incorporating new tech and having it influence the design, look at the difference between his F and G, thats due to the Romulans joining the Federation in his future universe.

He places weapons in specific places to create firing arcs, and loading bays, placing hanger bays so they are accecable.

Several of us told you from the start planning the Enterprise-H would be very hard, since you do need to flesh out the intermediate designs as well as the history of the time between.

He probably spent over 500 hours all up on that collection of designs, planning the history, engineering, logical advance in technology ect.

Thats what you need to do. Think of the gradual changes in design due to technology, Federation politics and cultural influences.

I have no idea what your E-H should look like, because I have no idea what the E-F and E-G look like in your universe or what has happened since 2380.

Its no small job what you want, and its going to take a lot of though and planning on your part to do it well, not just a random collection of numbers with no logical grounding.

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Different.

You want a ship three generations removed from the E-E, about 100 years in the future.

Think of the designs in between like the guy I posted did.

He didnt just pull some random numbers out of his arse or try to make the ship as super powerful as possible.

He made logical design steps from one generation to the next, incorporating new tech and having it influence the design, look at the difference between his F and G, thats due to the Romulans joining the Federation in his future universe.

He places weapons in specific places to create firing arcs, and loading bays, placing hanger bays so they are accecable.

Several of us told you from the start planning the Enterprise-H would be very hard, since you do need to flesh out the intermediate designs as well as the history of the time between.

He probably spent over 500 hours all up on that collection of designs, planning the history, engineering, logical advance in technology ect.

Thats what you need to do. Think of the gradual changes in design due to technology, Federation politics and cultural influences.

I have no idea what your E-H should look like, because I have no idea what the E-F and E-G look like in your universe or what has happened since 2380.

Its no small job what you want, and its going to take a lot of though and planning on your part to do it well, not just a random collection of numbers with no logical grounding.
Well let me give you some ideas that I have then. I can start by offering you a FULL actual saucer, much like the original Enterprise, but with the hull type that the Enterprise-E. A Heavy Duranium/Tritanium saucer with ablative armour, circular in shape like the TOS and TMP Enterprise. It would seem to make sense considering the evolution of the long saucer of the Enterprise-E to the wide saucer of the Enterprise-J.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

See thats a good start, try to come up with a good in universe reason for the switch back, like advances in Warp reduce the need for stream lined hulls, thus going back to round ones gives more internal volume and better firing arcs.

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:See thats a good start, try to come up with a good in universe reason for the switch back, like advances in Warp reduce the need for stream lined hulls, thus going back to round ones gives more internal volume and better firing arcs.
Well, what about also giving the ship a Galaxy class look? I AM a particularly BIG fan of the class, but that is just me. :) Use the circular saucer we both established (thank you for the encouragement by the way) and put it on a hull that looks similar to the good old GCS? :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

This is still for the E-H? Its close to 150 years more advanced than the E-D, add in newer tech and change in design principles, I'd try to be a bit more original, but with a nod back at the GCS. A new design but "Oh I see the relation to the GCS".

You could give it a wider flatter saucer and say that the stolen Borg tech and their own design allowed them to create more efficent (but blocky) designs, generating more internal volume with out sacrificing speed.

A design cant just look good, it has to make sense from an in universe perspective.

I'd find a ugly ship with a logical design process to a pretty ship thats just built to be sexy and not functional.

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:This is still for the E-H? Its close to 150 years more advanced than the E-D, add in newer tech and change in design principles, I'd try to be a bit more original, but with a nod back at the GCS. A new design but "Oh I see the relation to the GCS".

You could give it a wider flatter saucer and say that the stolen Borg tech and their own design allowed them to create more efficent (but blocky) designs, generating more internal volume with out sacrificing speed.

A design cant just look good, it has to make sense from an in universe perspective.

I'd find a ugly ship with a logical design process to a pretty ship thats just built to be sexy and not functional.
Yes it is. Do you have a Facebook? Maybe we can discuss our points of view on this new ship.

Ah, well what would you suggest look like the GCS? I thought about using the pylons that hold the warp nacelles up like they did for the Galaxy class. As for the wider flatter saucer, when you mention that it automatically made me think of the saucer on the Enterprise-H that we saw on here. My friend suggested that we take a approach like widening the hull on the Enterprise-J and basically making the nacelles look somewhat like the Sovereign class vessels like the Enterprise-E. Well to be honest, my idea was to do EXACTLY what you said: Make it blocky but at the same time fully functional and make it look somewhat like the Galaxy class. Hell, I ORIGINALLY (a few years back) had an idea for a 1,282 meter long Enterprise that was 63 decks tall.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Do you have access to a scanner? Just sketch what you are talking about and then scan it. Doesn't have to be pretty.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:Do you have access to a scanner? Just sketch what you are talking about and then scan it. Doesn't have to be pretty.
I wish. sighs just take the saucer of the Enterprise-J, put it on a GCS hull or something similar and put the Sovereign warp nacelles on it.