New Enterprise Look - Answer

The Next Generation
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Enterprise Look - Answer

Post by McAvoy »

Ugh... No kitbashing.

You could take cues from the Galaxy and Sovereign of course. But for a ship to be of an original design much more advanced it should not have identical features as something that could potentially be 100 years inferior.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah. Inspired by is fine, copied... not so much. As we said, the E-H should be s signification departure from the current models. Think about the changes in tech and the make up of the Federation. If the Cardassians have joined, you can incorporate some of their design features in ect.

Dont just pick random thing that you like and slap them together, make a logical plan. Really the look of the ship is the last thing you decide, the story of its design and what it does comes first, that will dictate the design, not the other way around.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Like the D'taran-class (E-G) by Darkomen on page 1, inspired by Romulan designs after Romulus joined.

Look at the way other designs have changed over a similar period. The difference between the Constitution and Galaxy for example.

And as Teaos said (and others have) the background itself is as important, if not more so, than the design. The more you establish what tech advancements have taken place, the necessary role of the ship, etc, the easier it will make things.

Even do a few sketches with those things in mind and see where it goes (this is how I used to do it for my own universe).
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:See thats a good start, try to come up with a good in universe reason for the switch back, like advances in Warp reduce the need for stream lined hulls, thus going back to round ones gives more internal volume and better firing arcs.
Well, I was thinking about keeping MY idea: Have this new Enterprise be the FIRST Quantum Slipstream level 5 (or Warp 9.99999) vessel in the fleet, much like the NX-01 was the first Warp 5 vessel in the fleet. The Saucer would be simply because like you said, advances in Warp and Impulse drives allow the vessel to have this kind of COMPLETELY round saucer AND still be faster than even the Sovereign class vessels. HOWEVER, it would have phaser arrays like the Sovereign class, but more advanced. Hence why Graham and I agreed on the Type XV phaser arrays. *shrugs* It seemed logical. HOWEVER, This is where I messed up: I wanted to have the Enterprise be the first to actually carry starfighters, launched from a hangar bay through the saucer's edge, like on the Akira class heavy cruiser. However if you guys don't agree on fighters, I suppose I could find some other uses for the extra space....No big deal. :)
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Also, let's not forget that Doug Drexler posted on his blog that, according to him, the Enterprise-J would be 2 miles (3,200 meters) in length. So if that were true, then this Enterprise would have to be.....2,192 meters in length. UNLESS you guys say otherwise.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Your Enterprise can be any length you want a long as there is a logical reason behind it.

Why is our opinions important to you anyway?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

McAvoy wrote:Your Enterprise can be any length you want a long as there is a logical reason behind it.

Why is our opinions important to you anyway?
Cuz I want it to be AT LEAST original, and what better way than by gathering information with a survey from popular opinion? :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well if originality is the goal, the most important thing is to stop copying other designs. You said you wanted Sovereign style nacelles on a GCS body... not original. If anything its the total opposite of original.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Well if originality is the goal, the most important thing is to stop copying other designs. You said you wanted Sovereign style nacelles on a GCS body... not original. If anything its the total opposite of original.
Good point. VERY VERY good point.
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Well if originality is the goal, the most important thing is to stop copying other designs. You said you wanted Sovereign style nacelles on a GCS body... not original. If anything its the total opposite of original.
So maybe a circular saucer then? Like the old Enterprises from the 23rd century, but with hull components similar to the Enterprise-E?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Original means not like anything else. And the E-E is an old design by this point, you wouldnt have any similar parts between the E and the H.

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Original means not like anything else. And the E-E is an old design by this point, you wouldnt have any similar parts between the E and the H.
I know, AGAIN, that means you like the circular saucer idea? cuz with the Federation developing quantum slipstream tech in the novels, I thought that advances would mean that at the very least it would mean they could form a hull similar to the old Enterprise.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah the cirular saucer is fine, my point is that you were taking design cues from the E-nil and the E-E, try something totally new thats never been done before as well.

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Teaos wrote:Yeah the cirular saucer is fine, my point is that you were taking design cues from the E-nil and the E-E, try something totally new thats never been done before as well.
Oh.....Well I DID have some idea as to a new ship a LONG time ago. It is not EXACTLY original, but to me it's never been done before.

Think of the NX-class saucer attached to the Akira class secondary hull. Now turn THAT hull upside down. With the double hulls on the BOTTOM of the saucer instead of the top you know?
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Meste17 wrote:I know, AGAIN, that means you like the circular saucer idea? cuz with the Federation developing quantum slipstream tech in the novels, I thought that advances would mean that at the very least it would mean they could form a hull similar to the old Enterprise.
Depending on what sources of information you use, the TNG novel Greater Than the Sum suggests that due to the nature of quantum slipstream, and the power requirements, vessels equipped with QS drives tend to be narrow and compact. So if you take that into account, then the saucer will likely still be more elongated like a sovereigns.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."