Chief O'Brien at Work

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Chief O'Brien at Work

Post by Nutso »

http://citycyclops.com/7.31.13.php
If you've ever felt lost and worthless, step aside, because someone else feels even more so, and his name is Chief O'Brien of the Starship Enterprise. Fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation, crappy jobs, and ennui will enjoy our short-lived Chief O'Brien at Work comics.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Chief O'Brien at Work

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm not sure if I should laugh or give him a hug.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Always thought it was kinda odd that they walk to the transporter room when its been proven they do not need a transporter room. Maybe it takes more energy and its not quite as safe as going from one pad to the other.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Well, I suppose for Diplomatic and ambassadorial stuff it may make setting up a welcome easier, and it's probably as good a place as any for an away team to rendezvous.
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There may be site-to-site, but I'm betting doing it from the transporter room is still safer. And yeah, might as well have a place for the away team to rendezvous.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I get the diplomatic part of it and perhaps a place for an away team to form up.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I think it's mentioned, or at least implied, in TOS that site-to-site is more energy intensive and less safe than using a transporter pad.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Makes sense to me.

Regardless being in the transporter has to be the most boring job on that ship. I would like to think it should be part of the watch system. You do a different job most of the time but stand watch in the transporter room during your duty. Like how the military does it. Your regular job could be fixing planes (like me) but have to stand barracks watch or hanger watch on your off hours.

Having a O'Brien or anyone be in that room all the time is a waste of manpower.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Nah remember that guy on Voyager whos job it was to watch the plasma flow? Just checking a dial all the time, never doing anything.

The chief probably has maintenance, the occasional transport, safety checks, angry birds ect
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Remember O'Brien did say he wanted people to come down.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Always thought it was kinda odd that they walk to the transporter room when its been proven they do not need a transporter room. Maybe it takes more energy and its not quite as safe as going from one pad to the other.
If the TNG TM is to be believed, a site to site transport is essentially two transports, one after the other - you're beamed to the transporter room, but the matter stream is not rematerialised but rather shunted to a second transporter (the transporters are linked in pairs) and beamed to the destination. Thus it takes twice as much hardware, and almost twice as much power and twice as long. Thus normal practice is not to do it unless there's a pressing reason.

Of course that's not canon, but it does make sense to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Yeah, I'd buy that
Bite my shiny metal ass
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I imagin that would add quite a bit more risk as well.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Always thought it was kinda odd that they walk to the transporter room when its been proven they do not need a transporter room. Maybe it takes more energy and its not quite as safe as going from one pad to the other.
If the TNG TM is to be believed, a site to site transport is essentially two transports, one after the other - you're beamed to the transporter room, but the matter stream is not rematerialised but rather shunted to a second transporter (the transporters are linked in pairs) and beamed to the destination. Thus it takes twice as much hardware, and almost twice as much power and twice as long. Thus normal practice is not to do it unless there's a pressing reason.

That's how I generally picture it.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

GrahamKennedy wrote:

For some reason I am having a hard time making sense of this.

So the person is beamed up by a transporter which is then transferred to another to beam to somewhere else?